Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Champ Is Injured (Contains Spoilers)

• 17-07-2007 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

From the Wrestling Observer:
    Edge has a torn pectoral muscle from taking a bad bump during the Mardi Gras angle on the Smackdown show that aired on Friday. He is out for an undetermined length of time, depending upon whether he goes in for surgery and just tries to have it heal from rehab. He was particularly bummed over the timing of the injury because the plan was a long reign as champion and top star on the brand.

The plan as of yesterday, which still could be changed today, was for a Battle Royal to determine the new champion. The winner of the Battle Royal will make their first title defense on Sunday's Great American Bash in San Jose.

I had heard that Edge had a slight injury, so I wasn't too worried, but then when I heard on Raw that there was to be a major announcement concerning the title I got worried

This really throws SD down the drain even more. We'll end up with the likes of Kane, Mark Henry, Khali and Batista feuding over the title. And when Mysterio makes it back he won't be able to have brilliant matches with these guys like he could have with Edge. Even if they push someone like Matt Hardy up to main event level, it's not likely he'll have fantastic matches with these guys. Real pity for Edge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think Batista will get it again. He's by far the biggest drawing good guy on the brand and he has a list of people to feud with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Probably. I wonder where that would leave Rey

I think it was a torn pectoral muscle that Eddy Guerrero got about 10 years ago and he never got it fixed

Fozzy wrote:
    Probably. I wonder where that would leave Rey

With his name being linked to the doctor in the Benoit case, they may be reluctant to put him a prominent role. Then again with the way they have pushed Lashley over the last few weeks, nothing would surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Big Dave as champion? Nooooooooooooooooo. Finlay needs to win the belt, or they should draft Monty Brown to Smackdown and have him as the shock inclusion in the match and then win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

This has not been a good year for Edge considering that he was suffering from an injury in the run up to mania and now this.None of his matches this year have been spectacular either and I was really hoping to see him having a strong second half to the year.

This is also Terrible news for Smackdown who already have a long list of injuries.Two of the three world champions on Smackdown this year it seems have/have to drop the titles to injuries.With the draft out of the way this is going to be a tough decision.I would like to see Finlay as the champ but Ill have to see it to believe it.I think that Batista will be made champ again.If that is the case,I wonder will they change the Khali and Batista match to a world title match now?

They certainly won't draft Monty Brown from ECW to Smackdown to win the title.That is a fact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mayosteve99

Maybe Randy Will Jump Ship????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Kennedy Ftw!!

Maybe Randy Will Jump Ship????

oh please god no

No, that would ruin everything good that Randy's got going on at the moment! If they were to go the route of moving someone to SD, I think Kennedy would be the top choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

At this stage Smackdown is not far off being bumped down to the No.3 brand behind ECW with the lack of talent left on the show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

just when I thought wrestling couldnt get any worse it loses its best star. Undertaker goes and then his replacement. must be a curse or somethin:p

I was reading that Vince wants Smackdown to be more like Raw with more promo crap and stuff. I think Vince has a personal vendetta against the wrestling internet community. Smackdown has been really good in terms of wrestling and once people start saying this it's like Vince is saying, hahha, they want wrestling, well then, let's just see about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I just thought of Triple H there but I really hope I'm wrong. Can't really see anyone other than 'roided up Batista getting the title which would be pretty sad considering current circumstances.

Funny thing is if they'd done what every fan expected and allowed Kennedy to challenge for the belt as a babyface then he could have won the title and it would have made sense storyline-wise.

Personally I'd love to ses Ric Flair shock the world and win it but it's highly unlikely.

I completely forgot about Flair...ya never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

My prediction is that Mysterio will make a shock return to win the Battle Royal and become the champ.

Failing that, i reckon the great Khali will win it and feud with Batista which will suck!

I`d totally mark out for Flair but I can`t` see it happening.

Meltzer says:
    PWInsider's Mike Johnson reported Great Khali as winning tonight's Battle Royal in Laredo and winning the title.

We can confirm that was at least the plan at one point today according to locker room word. It can always change.

:eek:

Haha glad I got my prediction in before you posted that Fozzy!

As awful as it is, it kinda makes sense especially if it is a Battle Royal. he is already in a high profile match with Batista on Sunday that can be bumped to a championship match and from purely a booking standpoint it makes sense because he is the only contender with a ready made feud. i`m not saying it will be good, just that it makes booking sense if you forget how horrible Khali is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No reason to watch Smackdown if that happens.

Perfect sense. I see Batista winning it off him pretty quickly thereafter.

NO Def Not Flair he is taking time off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

It's some sort of ear injury that Flair has, apparently he has had it for years but it never really bothered him.

I think I'll be giving Smackdown a miss this week, read who wins earlier.....not impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If that spoiler is accurate I predict a drop in ratings. That man can't draw as a champion.

Don't go to WWE.com if you don't want the champ spoiled on you
    The Great Khali! I don't hate him nearly as much as I used to, I've developed a bit of a soft spot for him, but having him as champ is not what I wanted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

The title is now completely worthless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

that is freakin painful.

No one on the SD! Brand that is of any use as a champ now*

I honestly can't think of a 'superstar' on there that has teh physical presence, and wrestling ability to make them a worthy title holder. Won't be watching SD! again until i hear things improve.

*Please don't say Flair - far too old, and far too crap at this stage of his career, regardless of how big a legend he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good God almighty. I was only saying yesterday that i was totally digging Edges reigna nd how much I enjoyed the ridiculous Mardi Gras last week on Smackdown. The title better be going back to Edge as soon as he is ready to roll again. SD is most certainly cursed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

To me, having Kennedy go back and win it would have made the most sense, since it was his MITB that Edge used to win the belt in the first place. Plus, although I looked forward to him on Raw when I heard he was moving, he's done nothing really since being there, except promise to dedicate every match to the memory of Vince when he was "dead" (dropped like a hot snot) and feud with Supercrazy (Only legends like Masters get to work with him :rolleyes: ) And once HHH comes back, Mr. K will be way down the pecking order behind him, Cena, Lashley and Orton I think for a while. I'm sure he'll make it on Raw eventually, but I honestly think he's ready for the big time and this would have been perfect for him, just my view.

As for the new Champ, this is as ridiculous to me as David Argette winning the WCW title. I don't mind guys like him and the Boogeyman who have no ring skills but offer something in terms of gimmick/look, as long as they don't injure guys, I feel there's a place for them on the roster but having him win the big one (or one of the big ones) is an insult to real talented guys on the present roster, previous title holders who brought real credibility to the belt 9Like Edge), and guys Rick Rude, Curt Henning and Ted Dibiase who should have been world champions but were never given the chance.
    Plus i would imagine that things are now set up for the Animal to win it back, which is pointless since he was'nt even the first choice after 'Taker was shelved.

ooooh Khali v Kane v Batista at the Bash! That is surely gonna be a barn burner. Am I the only one that is liking the whole this is so bad its good part of this whole situation? Just like it was awesome back in the day watching the Giant Gonzalez or the Black Scorpion nonsense in WCW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

What pisses me is that batista is automatically back in the title picture. Kane was number one contender....If they really wanted to be fair and possibly have a good match at the bash....they should have made it a triple threat match instead of Kane vs. Batista for the number one contender spot...(wonder whos goin to win that?) than can anyone see Khali beatin Batista at the bash...when Cena beat him on two consectuctive PPV.......Smackdown's gone down the crapper big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

SD is officially f*cked! All star power are all injury prone (then end up on RAW when they return (see Edge, Booker T etc).

Minor Leagues indeed!

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The perfect opportunity .. THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY .. to bring Kennedy back to smackdown to win the title.

I hope Hardy's push doesn't go down the drain now.

Awful booking by the WWE. Their ratings are dropping steadlily because of one person, perhaps two, HHH and Stephanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If they are going to crap on SD! all the time they could at least attempt to make it interesting.

A three way fued between Kennedy, Hardy and Nitro for the title would be a great thing to see imo - they could get months out of it.

They could put some of the seond level stars, such as the 3 i mentioned on SD! to really give them a massive push. If the WWE is to keep going, and get stronger over time, these are the lads they need to be looking at and looking after. Those 3, and then the likes or Orton and Cena are, for better or worse, the future of the WWE; the guys that will take over when people like HHH and HBK move on.

Instead they have Nitro kicking it on ECW (give the title to Punk, build him up there), Kennedy doing nothing on RAW and Hardy stuck in the mid-card rut as always.

I find the booking especially stupid given the month that's in it. You have John Cena and Chris Jericho on Larry King claiming that WWE pushes based on entertainment, not size. Kennedy said the same thing, I'm not sure about Finlay. But how can they claim things like that when one main event at the ppv will feature two of the most muscular guys in the company and the other one will have three of the four largest guys in the company?

I haven't really been watching SD much since WM anyway, I usually only check it out if I hear of a good match, so it doesn't make much difference to me. I have hope for some sort of Finlay/MVP/Hardy/Mysterio feud, that's the only good thing I could see happening to SD, as the cruiserweights are just never going to be pushed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

They build up the cruiserweight division a few times a year until its strong and believeable and then let it die again, its crazy same with the tag-team divisions

• Advertisement

So then what happens with Kane then?
    Now that I think about it,Kennedy is really doing NOTHING on raw and I dont see any harm in moving him back to Smackdown

fatal wrote:

He's in the triple-threat for the title match at the ppv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

fatal wrote:
    Now that I think about it,Kennedy is really doing NOTHING on raw and I dont see any harm in moving him back to Smackdown

Kennedy is still recovering from his injury that is why is being held back a bit on raw and has only been involved in short matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Really is a shame for edge. The guys being really entertaining and deserved the title. Cant see Flair even coming close to defeating Khali. Just have to wait for Dave to beat him at the bash then drop it a few weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

guys Rick Rude, Curt Henning and Ted Dibiase who should have been world champions but were never given the chance.[/QUOTE] Didnt curt henning hold a awa world heavyweight title in the late 80's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Shaneomac wrote:
    Didnt curt henning hold a awa world heavyweight title in the late 80's?

He did yeah, but that doesn't count because WWE is the be all and end all of wrestling. :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I read the thread title and thought that finally something had brought down Cena. Sham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I wanna see Flair get another title run, I would have preferred it on RAW, but I guess under the circumstances, I wouldn't mind it being on SmackDown! He would be a much better choice than The Great Khali!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Of all the choices they have, they choose this imbosile. And match at the Bash is going to stink to high heaven, no maybe's.

Still it proves that WWE "Choose entertainment over size", aint that right Cena :)

Still it proves that WWE "Choose entertainment over size", aint that right Cena :)

But um, Cena has the size? I understand the point you're trying to make but Cena was a bad example there.

VR!

But um, Cena has the size? I understand the point you're trying to make but Cena was a bad example there.

Cena said it on Larry King. He was trying to portray himself as the small underdog, despite the obvious fact that he's one of the strongest men in WWE

Would it be wrong to wish an injury on cena??? nothing major just to make him get rid of title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Didnt curt henning hold a awa world heavyweight title in the late 80's?
    Double C wrote:
    He did yeah, but that doesn't count because WWE is the be all and end all of wrestling. :rolleyes: ;)

I don't think WWE is the be all and end all, but this thread concerns a WWE title and my point was to question the thinking/reasoning behind WWE's present choice of champion in comparision to men who never won WWE's big one but should have, so when i said Henning was never a world champ, i meant in WWE. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

guys Rick Rude, Curt Henning and Ted Dibiase who should have been world champions but were never given the chance

I'm pretty sure Rick Rude was WCW champion a number of times in the early 90s, beating Flair and Sting before getting injured and being stripped of the belt

Just saw the other post so the above is kinda null.

Rude was a good championship contender though, even brought a good cage match out of the warrior at summerslam one year (i think 88)

Rude was a good championship contender though, even brought a good cage match out of the warrior at summerslam one year (i think 88)

Try 1990. But those two rarely had a bad match, even in 89 at Wrestlemania when Rude was still learning how to not suck, he learned very fast as by the time Warrior got that IC title back from Rude at Summerslam 89, in the course of a year Rude went from midcarder to major main event threat.

Too bad Vince didn't feel quite as strongly and pay Rude what he should have gotten (hence why Rude left the company a couple of months after)

VR!

• Advertisement
Advertisement