Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Adams.

Options
  • 17-07-2007 7:15pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reactions Etc?

What is the feeling about RA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've two of his songs on the oul i-pod, New York, New York and the cover of Wonderwall he does, pretty good artist, nothing spectacular but good nonetheless. He's a fairly troubled young man as well iirc, a few stints in rehab that sort of scéal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think hes pretty ok, a hint of jeff buckley off him.

His version of wonderwall is a zillion times better than oasis!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm a big fan (saw him last year in Galway). I think Heartbreaker and Gold are superb albums. Demolition was very good, and I liked Love is Hell. Then he dipped a bit with the Cardinals stuff (Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights, 29).

Even though his latest, Easy Tiger, is recorded with the cardinals, its his best since Gold.

Look out for a rarities box set later this year which will have his Suicide Handbook CD (superb if you can find it).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Flattery

I would go along more or less with what TmB said; I think Heartbreaker is a terrific album and probably the only one he has done that has been consistently excellent throughout. Gold was great in parts (La Cienega Just Smiled, Sylvia Plath, Stars Go Blue, Wild Flowers) and rubbish in parts (Nobody Girl, [about Winona Ryder apparently and incidentally] and Tina Toledo's Walking Street Blues).

Everything since has been hit and miss for me, with the exception of Rock n Roll which was uniformly a miss. Easy Tiger, the new one with The Cardinals, is enjoyable but perhaps without hitting the heights of the best songs that he has written. Not the worst place to start if you are looking to get into his music, but would recommend Heartbreaker or Gold as a better starting point.

• Advertisement

I'm quite a fan already and disagree with most of what's been said.

I think the cardinal stuff is great. Cold Roses is an amazing album. I think Gold except for la cienega is a piece of ****. I enjoy Rock N Roll as well, it's a fun album. I like people who aren't afraid of getting it wrong.

Heartbreaker is an amazing album as is demolition. My favourite song of his is Jacksonville Skyline.

People rave about the suicide handbook far too much, i have it for ages and it's not all that. Prob a must for a big fan.

Nice to hear other opinions though keep em coming

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Flattery

Had forgotten about Whiskeytown; really like Jacksonville Skyline too. In fact that middle third of Pneumonia is top class. My favourite from the Whiskeytown stage is "Avenues" from Strangers Almanac; it's very understated and slight but a song I haven't got sick of in years of listening to it. Whiskeytown had some really great moments.

What do you make of Easy Tiger, lordgoat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

"Summer of '69" is great.

magpie wrote:
    "Summer of '69" is great.

Someday you'll make a worthwhile comment, that's not a) a put down or b) poser-y. We're all just waiting for ya to do it champ.

Easy Tiger:

So far so good. I like alot of it but need to listen to it a while more. It's not as country-ish as his last records which might please some older fans. But it's def a good record. How good still has to be determined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Good to know you're rooting for me... I'll see what I can do.

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:
    Good to know you're rooting for me... I'll see what I can do.

It's not just me sailor. We are many. Chin up now.

Advertisement