Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring ethernet cables

Options
  • 17-07-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

i need about 4 long crossover cables, so decided to diy it

bought crimp tool in maplins, and connectors

bought 100m roll of belking cat 5e cable of dabs http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=3B43

wired up cables coping a crossover cable thats here

the ethernet cable is made up of 8 wires, which have about 5 finestrands in each, after a good few failed attempts at connecting them (tested them with a multimeter) I decided to solder the 5 strands together, this made it very easy to fit into the plug and crimp, and gave me a perfect conductivity and no shorts

anyway every one of them is only connecting at 10mbs, even the 4 foot length i made to test if it was a distance problem

any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

It sounds like you are stripping the insulation off each of the eight wires ?
    Instead strip off a few inches of the outer (grey) cover , untwist the pairs of wires, straighten them and lay them out in order , then hold them between your thumb and side of index finger . Now cut them ~ 1cm long and you should be able to slide them into the plug no problem.Make sure each wire has gone up to the end of its "tunnel" before you crimp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

bushy... wrote:
    It sounds like you are stripping the insulation off each of the eight wires ? Instead do try it this way strip off a few inches of the outer (grey) cover , untwist the pairs of wires, straighten them and lay them out in order , then hold them between your thumb and side of index finger . Now cut them ~ 1cm long and you should be able to slide them into the plug no problem.

I do this day in day out in my job and that is the correct way to do it. What colour code are you using? btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

oops, thanks bushy, so the pins cut into the wires themselves

regarding colour code...

from left to right with plugs clip downwards and wire towards ya (sorry if that makes no sense)

orange\black
    orange
    yellow\black
    yellow
    red\black
    red
    brown\black
    brown

then for a crossover (made no straight yet)
    1 to 3
    2 to 6
    3 to 1
    4 to 4
    5 to 5
    6 to 2
    7 to 7
    8 to 8

mukki wrote:
    orange\black
    orange
    yellow\black
    yellow
    red\black
    red
    brown\black
    brown
    Organise them so that they go like this and you should get it to 100

orange\black
    orange
    yellow\black
    red
    red\black
    yellow
    brown\black
    brown

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mukki wrote:
    orange\black
    orange
    yellow\black
    yellow
    red\black
    red
    brown\black
    brown
    You've created a cable with what is called a "split pair" which will result in an unreliable connection. Ethernet uses Pins 1&2 and 3&5, and it's important that each of these corresponds to a twisted pair in the cable. A common mistake unfortunately, even amongst people who claim to know what they're doing.

Here's a good description ...

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    You've created a cable with what is called a "split pair" which will result in an unreliable connection. Ethernet uses Pins 1&2 and 3&5, and it's important that each of these corresponds to a twisted pair in the cable. A common mistake unfortunately, even amongst people who claim to know what they're doing.

Here's a good description ...

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

saw them made before but its my first attempt, didn't know it was 1&2 and 3&5

will try it tomorrow, thanks guys

mukki wrote:
    saw them made before but its my first attempt, didn't know it was 1&2 and 3&5
    Plus if you're making a crossover cable you'll need to connect 1&2 to 3&5 on the other end and vice versa. Good Luck!

As a side note, personally, I never use crossover cables .. they're too easy to mix up with all the other cables I have and cause confusion. I managed to snarf a few crossover adapters a few years ago and use those in combination with ordinary cables when I really need a crossover. I'm not sure where you can buy them from though, if at all. All they are are a RJ-45 plug and a socket wired up as a crossover cable with a very short piece of cable between.

524d8cg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's 1-2 and 3-6 (not 5). If you follow Bushy's color scheme swap Yellow and Orange (both wires for each) on the other end and you'll have a crossover cable.

_CreeD_ wrote:
    It's 1-2 and 3-6 (not 5). If you follow Bushy's color scheme swap Yellow and Orange (both wires for each) on the other end and you'll have a crossover cable.
    Oops :) Yeah, I meant 3&6, of course .. sorry!

still no joy

getting a very good 100mbs between 2 gb cards thru 6 foot of cable, transfered 700mb file and speed waved between 35% and 75%

but the 20foot long one is worse now, its not even lighting the ethernet port's leds, its like the cable is cut, but its not becasue the way i wired it earlier gave me a intermitting 100mbs connection

starting to think its a dodgy cable

new crossover

1. orange\black
    2. orange
    3. yellow\black
    4. red
    5. red\black
    6. yellow
    7. brown\black
    8. brown

1. yellow\black
    2. yellow
    3. orange\black
    4. red
    5. red\black
    6. orange
    7. brown\black
    8. brown

• Advertisement

It could be the famous Belkin-stuff-that-almost-works , or maybe the crimps you're using are for the wrong type of cable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

are the 4 cables for different Jobs ?

you would be better running standard wiring between 2 terminated sockets and then making the crossover with a sealed cable for the final 1M etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gigabit autodetects and crosses over itself

for 10/100 crossover
    green to orange
    white/green to white/orange

Splitter/joiner for putting two ethernet devices on the same cable ( need one at each end ) on this gigabit will fall back to 100

Head 1 uses green and orange pairs

about a meter or two back on the cable make a small incision and pull the blue and brown wires back through, use the outer sleve from a dead cable to cover this. cable tie or tape the joint

wire it into the RJ45 with
    blue / blue white , taking the place of orange (1,2)
    brown / brown white, taking the place of green (3,5)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

this works perfectly, dont ya just love troubleshooting :mad:

Orange
    orange\black
    yellow
    Red\ black
    Red
    Yellow\black
    brown
    brown\black

yellow
    yellow\black
    Orange
    red\black
    red
    orange\black
    Brown
    brown\black

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

I've got wireless broadband coming in to a central location in a cat 5e external cable. It goes into the POE , then for the moment I have a cat5e cable from the POE going to a wall socket in the room the PC is in. My plan is to have a router and send the broadband to six different room wall sockets. I can't use wireless because of very thick walls and foil back plaster board was extensively used in a renovation job.

I`m a complete thicko but I know the wiring so far has been from 1-8 as follows
    Whitey Orange
    Orange
    Whitey Green
    Blue
    Whitey Blue
    Green
    Whitey Brown
    Brown

At the moment there's just about 100 mm of cat 5e hanging out of the wall, so I need to get a wall socket and presumably take a patch cable from this to my PC

What type of wall socket should I use and is there any guide for connecting it?

This is off topic, but what is a crossover cable and why would you need it?
    EDIT: Yea it's for connecting two ethernet devices together without a hub or when you connect two hubs together.
    Practical examples please?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

Do you want someone to cable it for you or help in doing a DIY job ?

are the the CAT 5 cables in the walls already ? going to a central point in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

formatman wrote:
    Do you want someone to cable it for you or help in doing a DIY job ?

are the the CAT 5 cables in the walls already ? going to a central point in the house

DIY job. All the cables were run to a central location when the house was being done up. I actually have 2 cables to each room

Advertisement