Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all things arklow!!!

Options
  • 17-07-2007 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

just wondering what the consensus is about arklow in general..
    seems to always get bad press but imo its not really that bad... every town has it's problems right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NicOda

Was up for the seabreeze last week. Town at night is slightly better than it was a couple of months ago, espcially with Christies and the royal reopening. Lived outside Arklow for 4 years and have had 2 move down home for 6 months, cant wait till i move back up. Will finally have a cinema and some decent shops as an alternative to driving to dublin to see a film and the delights of ralfs ;) . Did anybody see the parody on Arklow fashion on youtube ha ha ha, its brill.
    In general I think its probably on parr with every other town in Ireland, think they all have their problems and Arklow is no exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

It's what the people in the town do that gives it the bad press!

How would it be any other way at the moment there seems to be nothing else but pubs in the town.. The biggest thing is going to the pub. yippee [/sarc]. What is there for young people to do.. There's two marching bands but what happens if they aren't musical or sporty? What do they do then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

drink or do drugs of course! wtf?

seriously, do u not think ppl cud make their own entertainment???!! imagine the hardship in meetin up in ur mates place to watch a dvd, or walk to the beach, or generally having a laugh?? im aware there isnt much to do in town but building something/somewhere for youth wont magically stop a drug problem

there are plenty of ppl in the town that do great things, dont paint everyone wiv the same brush!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mightymouse311

a sure isnt it a great little town i dont care wat anyone thinks life is wat you make of it yourself havent drankin two year rarely go to the pub ya cant beat the countryside at your feet on a sat night when everyone is in the pub me and my dog are off now for a god long stroll

I have lived in Arklow for 22 years. I'm perfectly happy when I'm in the town.. It's very much a case of make your own entertainment though. And while I agree that building or setting up something for the youth will not do anything for the drugs it certainly might help somewhat.. Take them off the street anyway.. Also the youth driving up and down the street all night what is with that. I'm in a college town for 9 months of the year and they don't do that there.. I don't get where the entertainment is in it?!! MY opinion though.. Whatever floats their boat I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Phantron

I'm 21 and from Arklow. The place is scenic enough but most people from the town are just dicks. That said, some lovely people there too, but I can't help but notice the ratio of is unfavourable.

In Arklow at the moment. Not home two hours and already pining for Dublin again.

Phantron wrote:
    I'm 21 and from Arklow. The place is scenic enough but most people from the town are just dicks. That said, some lovely people there too, but I can't help but notice the ratio of is unfavourable.

In Arklow at the moment. Not home two hours and already pining for Dublin again.

I couldn't agree more.. Arklow is fine if it wasn't for some of the people in it plus there isn't much to do at night and that unless you're into drinking. You really see a big difference in the town when you get out of it for a few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Phantron

Agreed. Here's hoping Bridgewater changes the face of the town. A digital cinema will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a huge billboard up in Greystones for that Bridgewater place. I'm sure its great and all, but I can't imagine anyone from Greystones going down to Arklow for their shopping (maybe its aimed at people from further south who park in stones for the Dart?)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pastel_Princess

Heard during the week that Joanna Lumley is going to open Bridgewater next week...how random is that?! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dave123456

petals wrote:
    It's what the people in the town do that gives it the bad press!

How would it be any other way at the moment there seems to be nothing else but pubs in the town.. The biggest thing is going to the pub. yippee [/sarc]. What is there for young people to do.. There's two marching bands but what happens if they aren't musical or sporty? What do they do then???

The young people of Arklow currently have a massive variety of clubs and groups which they can join.

Regarding Sports, there is a cricket club, a badminton club, a boxing club, three soccer clubs, a hurling club, a gaelic football team, a community games club, a special olympics club, a golf club, a handball club, a raquetball club, a rowing club, a rugby club, a sailing club, a tae-kwon-do club, and two athletics clubs. The town has many sporting facilities, not least an indoor leisure centre, and an indoor swimming pool.

Regarding drama, music, and dance, there is a pipe band, two stage schools, two youth marching bands, a school of dance, a music festival (no, not the Seabreeze :rolleyes: ), a parish folk group, a silver band, and a variety of musical societies (who regularly stage some excellent musicals!).

Culturally, there is a creative arts workshop, an environment group, a historical society, a visual arts group, and a fine art gallery.

Other organisations in the town include a Sea Scout Group, a Guide group, the FCA, the Irish Redcross, the Tidy Towns committee, a camera club, a pigeon club, the town twinning association, a Bible club, a canine club, and two youth clubs.

This incomplete list of clubs and organisations in Arklow open to young people to join, covers a very broad range of interests. Everybody is to able find a club in Arklow which they have a modicum of interest in, so if they are too lazy to make the effort, then that's tough s**t, but stop b******g about it and giving the town undeserved criticism. Bad reputations are built on the negativity of people like those posting here.

Arklow is a town with a magnificent heritage, a great present, and an extremely bright future.

Advertisement