Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Leak on Carpet - How do I get rid of awful smell...?

Options
  • 17-07-2007 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

The radiator in our sitting room had been dripping for the past few weeks behind the couch, until I noticed a rank smell.

The leak has now been stopped but I'm left with a damp patch of carpet about three feet by three feet and a real damp, stagnant musty smell in my sitting room.

Anyone any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell...?
    ....or is it even possible...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you can get the carpet dry most of the smell should go. I think you will have to lift the carpet - you will probably have to move all the furniture away from that wall and pull back a couple of feet or so. It should be fixed with gripper rods, which are spiked strips and the carpet will pull off them with a bit of encouragement (grasp a bit of the edge with pliers to get it started. See what has happened to the underlay, you may have to cut a section out and either dry it or replace it depending on type.

What kind of floor is it? Wet concrete smells horrible so it might be that, anyway you have to get it dry before you put the carpet back down. When you put it back, push the surface of the carpet towards the wall then tuck the edge behind the grippers with something wide and blunt (I have a brick bolster that I use :D ) If its a wool carpet/canvas backed it may shrink or distort as it dries, so if you can get the underneath dry I would be inclined to put the carpet back on the grippers even if its still a bit damp.

If the floor is sheet chipboard type material you may have to have a section replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

Would suggest pulling back the carpet to inspect the underlay material. The underlay is probably holding water too, adding to the problem (this is assuming there is underlay material).

Leave the carpet pulled back and the radiator on, to dry out the underlay, then brake out the Shake'n'Vac (You've seen the advert!) Having the carpet pulled back over the wet patch, should dry it out on the underside too.

Be very careful not to stand on the carpet and cause a flat crease where it's pulled back, It'll leave a permenant mark!

Leave it for a few days to dry out.

This is only a suggestion as to how I would approach a simular dilemma, If you don't fell confident in doing as described above, I'm sure you will find the name of a company to shampoo the carpet for you, perhaps someone else reading this will be able to help out with the name of a reputable company, or possibly may have an alternative workable solution!

Anyways, I hope this has been of some help to you!.

AusLander

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

I lifted the carpet last night and the underlay is even wetter than the carpet.:eek:

Having said that, the carpet was beginning to dry, so I left the heating on all day today, so with the carpet pulled back the underlay should dry quickly, as it's right under the radiator.

Plus I've invested in Febreeze to see if that can work on the smell. Hopefully.:cool:

Advertisement