Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike and bike shop recommendations

Options
  • 17-07-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I'm sick and tired of the Planet Newport (http://www.westirelandcycling.com/bike6.html) bike I bought 18 months ago and have decided to buy a decent bike.

I cycle to and from work every day, not far, totalling 45 mins a day and want a reliable hybrid.
    Any recommendations for bikes and/or bike shops?
    I know what I don't want: plastic pedals, Shimano Tourney gear mechs.

The thing that annoys me most about it is the gear mech, it is has never been perfect (which it should for a new bike) and in my couple of years of cycling I've come to the conclusion that good gears are the most important feature.

That, and the place that the bike is bought. I won't name the bike shop, but I've been to both their shops in Dublin and having just handed over €25 for some repaired spokes, the gear mech still rattles and tries and succeeds in jumping up a gear.

I'd a bad gut feeling the day I bought it, kicking myself for wasting the €300.
    My budget this time is €500-800.

Two things I've heard, can these be confirmed:
    Firstly, a lot of bikes in the €600-800 range are like €300 bikes, but with the cheap fittings replaced by high quality parts. Basically, when it comes to value for money, by spending a couple of hundred more you are getting a far better bike.

Secondly, a lot of bike shops have sales in the autumn and can be a good time to pick up a bargain.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thomas_B

You've a slight problem in that I assume what you are looking for is a good quality bike that's suitable for commuting (chainguard, carrier, upright riding position, no knobbly tyres). In Ireland it seems that we buy bikes for 'leisure' rather than 'utility', so most bikes of very good quality aren't really suitable for commuting (no mudguards, uncomfortable frame geometry, etc.)

I'd recommend the Trek T30 as about the best commuting bike you can buy at the moment. Costs around €400, comes fully-equipped, and the rear derailleur is a Shimano Acera. Irish Cycling Safaris use them as well -- and I presume they know a thing or two about bike reliability.

Different strokes for different folks, but I would recommend spending €400 on the Trek, rather than €600 on something which was uncomfortable, caused you to get oil on your trousers from the chain, and where you had to fork out on mudguards and carrier etc. on top (which normally aren't as good as those fitted as standard to bikes).

Having said that I'm surprised that you're having so much problems with your rear mech -- my Giant Expression has an even cheaper one to yours (it's the bottom-of-the-range Shimano) and I haven't had problems with it.

This thread that I started on the cycling forum tries to give an overview of what commuting bikes are available in Ireland, it may be of help to you.

Most bike shops that I've been to in Dublin have absolutely appalling customer service, so I can't recommend any one in particular.

Best of luck with your search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I'd recommend the Trek T30 as about the best commuting bike you can buy at the moment.

Am in similar situation in that I'm looking for a good commuting bike. Would this bike be available in most bike shops or can you reccommend one?

Slice wrote:
    Am in similar situation in that I'm looking for a good commuting bike. Would this bike be available in most bike shops or can you reccommend one?

Funnily enough I was checking this out a few weeks ago because I was going to buy a T30 for my wife (we decided to save up for Bromptons instead).

Don't know where you're based, but Cyclelogical on the quays said they could get them in within three days. MacDonalds Cycles on Wexford St. said that they had them in stock, and I think they had one on display so you could test ride one.

As far as I remember MacDonalds Cycles were a bit more expensive but if I had bought one I probably would have gone there, as they seemed a lot more friendly. My advice would be to go to both shops and see what they're like, especially in terms of helping you figure out your size (really important if you're shelling out 400 euros). You'll probably want to try out a few bikes too -- see what you're most comfortable with.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is best moved to the cycling forum, there are many threads asking the same thing with detailed answers. I would recommend a hybrid and buying it online. If you cannot assemble yourself it is still usually cheaper to buy online and get a shop to assemble and adjust it to suit you.

I saved on average probably €350 each on 3 bikes I got online. All ranging from €400-600

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Thomas_B wrote:
    In Ireland it seems that we buy bikes for 'leisure' rather than 'utility'

Oh yeah, I've really noticed this. All I want is a hybrid-style bike. I've no need for a mountain bike as I won't be going mountain biking, or off-road for that matter. I think it's a Celtic Tiger consumerism thing, everyone has to have the best of everything, the big brands.

Go to the 'Dam or Copenhague, two huge cycling cities, and you'll hardly see a mountain bike.

Thomas_B wrote:
    I'd recommend the Trek T30 as about the best commuting bike you can buy at the moment.
    I've actually read a review of this, in Consumer Choice, Sept 2005. Comes in the middle, I'm afraid, 6th place out of 11. "A range of accessories but poor breaks" is the comment.

Thanks for your contribution, by far the best and most inspiring I've read.

• Advertisement

Thomas_B wrote:

Thanks, I found your thread very helpful.

One other thing, I read no-so-long-ago about some style of Swedish Army bike, that's very rugged but appently the best thing on two wheels. It has no gears, but you can get a commuterised three gear version. Ever heard of it?

Gautama wrote:
    I've actually read a review of this, in Consumer Choice, Sept 2005. Comes in the middle, I'm afraid, 6th place out of 11. "A range of accessories but poor breaks" is the comment.
    That's interesting -- I'd be interested to read what the top 3 choices were, if you have the review to hand. Just goes to show though, bikes really are a very personal thing, and you really need to find a friendly bike shop that will let you test ride a few machines (which is why I'd never buy online!)
    Gautama wrote:
    One other thing, I read no-so-long-ago about some style of Swedish Army bike, that's very rugged but appently the best thing on two wheels. It has no gears, but you can get a commuterised three gear version. Ever heard of it?

Could it be the Kronan? There's a guy down in Tipperary who sells them, and I think Cycleways on O'Connell St. might carry a few as well. Never ridden one, looks bombproof and perfect for commuting, except I'm sure it weighs an absolute ton! Depends on your attitude to cycling I suppose, it would be great for commuting though as long as you're not in too much of a hurry!

Another option could be to import a bike from the Netherlands with built-in lights, fully enclosed chain, upright riding position. That's what me and the wife plan to do, once we've bought Bromptons. As you mention yourself, the Dutch really know what commuting cycling is about.

Links:
    http://www.kronan.com (in Swedish)
    http://www.kronan-fietsen.be/bikes/index_en.phtml (Belgian distributor, but in English)
    http://www.kronan.com/Ireland (Irish distributor in Tipp)
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/story/0,6903,480060,00.html (interesting review in the Observer)

Getting back to the topic of 'Commuting & Transport' I sometimes feel that bike shops (and many cycling enthusiasts) do all they can to put off people cycling to work, with this attitude of "if it ain't less than 10kg and doesn't leave a dirty wet line on the back of your suit if it rains, then it's not a real bike"

But if anyone reading this is considering it, I would say get a nice bike and go for it! It may seem a bit scary at first, but take your time and don't feel rushed. You'll find that Dublin (or any other Irish city) is about a third the size that you thought it was. And if, like me, you can't afford a big black Merc, it's the only option to travel Ministerial-style!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Gautama wrote:
    I know what I don't want: plastic pedals, Shimano Tourney gear mechs.

The thing that annoys me most about it is the gear mech, it is has never been perfect (which it should for a new bike) and in my couple of years of cycling I've come to the conclusion that good gears are the most important feature.
    Just to note, I suspect this is the adjustment rather than the mech itself. I have Tourney on a Dawes Discovery hybrid and it shifts fine and accurately, very reliable indeed over a period of years not needing adjustment.

If you can wait until the autumn Irish Cycling Safaris/The Belfield Bike Shop will be selling off their summer-hire Trek T30s likely for a bargain price.

The likes of the Kronan or Dutch bikes may be fine for short distances in relatively flat and non-windy countries but in my limited experience (renting that sort of bike in Germany) I couldn't stand it, really heavy, slow, and (for me at least) uncomfortable to ride (I do tend to want handlebars below my saddle.) And don't get me started on back-pedal brakes!

You can put mudguards and a rack on any hybrid, it's not difficult. The Trek T30 comes with these and also a chain guard as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

blorg wrote:
    The likes of the Kronan or Dutch bikes may be fine for short distances in relatively flat and non-windy countries but in my limited experience (renting that sort of bike in Germany) I couldn't stand it, really heavy, slow, and (for me at least) uncomfortable to ride (I do tend to want handlebars below my saddle.) And don't get me started on back-pedal brakes!

The Netherlands is mostly flat, but plenty windy. The benefits of a Dutch style bike ae mostly evident for utilitarian type usage. For example I do my weekly shopping on it carrying up to 20KG on the rack. It'll take a child seat no bother and a passenger riding side saddle\rack. Other advantages are not having to consider clothing, I sometimes ride my bike dressed in a business suit and arrive without looking shabby. But they are heavy and slow.

I wouldn't recommend one for touring on hollidays, wrong usage.

Sure, but you can do all of these things on a properly equipped modern hybrid and still have something reasonably light and nippy when you are not carrying a load. I've carried bookcases, do my weekly shopping, laundry, etc. etc.

The rental in Germany was just city use around Berlin, not long-distance touring. We had been thinking of cycling to Potsdam, but the bike put that idea right out!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 billyk

im a mountain biker and i work in a bike shop, so i try most new bikes when we get them in. i dont usually like hybrids but i had a go of a ladies t-30 and it is the most comfortable/smooth riding hybrid ive ever been on and ive been on far more expensive ones that dont come close eg. dawes discovery 501/601/701

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Dutch style bikes are great for touring too. My brother and I went there 2 months ago and rented 2 (with 3 gears each though) did 60km a day on them.

In Dublin I own a Raleigh year '69 with 3 gears too and for the city is ok. The lower gear is enough to go uphill in the likes off Hill Street or Parnell Square.

I occassionally use it for short trips outside the city (Dun Laoghaire, Howth) but I have a better bike for that.

Gustavo

Thomas_B wrote:
    I'd be interested to read what the top 3 choices were, if you have the review to hand.

Off Road:
    Giant Terrago Disc (79 points, "Choice Buy")
    Trek 4300 (77 points, "Choice Buy")
    Saracen Rufftrax (69 points)

On Road:
    Marin San Rafael (79 points, "Choice Buy")
    Schwinn Sierra GS (71 points)
    Dawes Discovery 501 (70 points)

According to the introduction "...asked 60 experienced cyclists... When the riders had dismounted, a techinal expert from the Cyclists' Touring Club took over to assess the quality of each bike".
    Thomas_B wrote:
    Could it be the Kronan?

Yep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_military_bicycle
    Thomas_B wrote:
    "if it ain't less than 10kg and doesn't leave a dirty wet line on the back of your suit if it rains, then it's not a real bike"

Yeah, there's a smug snobbishness everywhere, and cycling is no different.

Also, though cars and trucks are a fear on the roads, my closest to an accident this year was caused by a cyclist!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Gautama wrote:
    I've no need for a mountain bike as I won't be going mountain biking, or off-road for that matter. I think it's a Celtic Tiger consumerism thing, everyone has to have the best of everything, the big brands.

Ah, no, it's just our bad roads.

monument wrote:
    Ah, no, it's just our bad roads.

Hardly though, is it? The roads aren't that bad, are they? That an off-roader is required? I've been cycling Dublin for 18 months and have had only one puncture. And that was caused by broken glass rather than the road quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

TBH, I've found London roads to be worse than those in Dublin!

Anyway, you could do worse than a Trek T-30 but there's a couple of things to consider.

You want reliable gears, so you may be better abandoning deraileurs altogether. Try out a bike with hub gears and see what you think. The gears are enclosed in the back wheel, usually 3,5 or 7 of them, and you can change when stationary as well as when you're moving. Because they're enclosed they don't get full of crap from the road and thus require pretty much zero mantenance, and don't lose efficiency over time. The gear range also tends to be very similar to that of a deraileur bike, despite the fact that it seems at first glance to have fewer gears.

The downside? Bikes with hub gears are generally more expensive becuase if you damage the back wheel you're going to need a new gear hub too. Thus, the wheels, and generally the rest of the bike, is of good quality.

Here's some interesting options for you to consider:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5692
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=71290
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60908

Advertisement