Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC brings new conecting challanges!

Options
  • 17-07-2007 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Okay I'm an old fart, so bear that in mind!

I got myself a Dell Inspiron 530 which comes with integrated sound in the form of the Realtek ALC888 codec,
    now in the past, ie AC97 era I've dissed any idea of using a sound chip but this one should be tested before dismissed as its certainly got a better spec than my ol SB Live.

However I need a bit of help regarding how to midi my chain to a USB port. I have a midi controller keyboard and a Korg module so I want to be able to send keyboard thru the Korg to the USB input using this rather natty midi-USB cable? Would that work?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hi Mike, sounds like its well do-able alright :) Just get an extra MIDI cable, connect it from your keyboard's Out port to the Korg's In port, then hook your USB/MIDI cable's In cable to the Korg's Out port. Hang on... I think you get the idea already.

Yeah so that should be grand, leaving any channel settings aside (which often confuse me a little, even more so now that I have a few pints of Guinness inside me...)

Let us know how you find the new machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thanks for confirming my suspicions! I don't want to spend more money on a fancy dan card and breakout box if I don't need to.

Mike.

Bump.

So I got a USB 'card' - M Audio Audiophile and I need some help with the midi cable set up, as above I have a keyboard with a single midi i/o and my Korg with in/out/thru. The Audiophile has in/out so what I need to know is what cable should go where? I have two midi cables, do i need a third?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It depends on exactly how you want your setup to work (eg you could go directly from the keyboard to the Korg) but I think the best thing to do would be to run one cable from the keyboard's Out to the Audiophile's In, and the other from the Audiophile's Out to the Korg's In. That way you can use your computer/sequencer to control your routing.

Cheers

That worked fine :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement