Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Form Value Via JS

Options
  • 17-07-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to change the value of a form element by clicking a link. At the the moment I have a loop that writes a callender and I want people to be able to click on the date and the date appears in a text box. How can I do this. I tried putting a onClick in the link and using a seperate function but neither work. Can someone help?

Thanks,
    S.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

try modifying this...
    <html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <form name="form1">
        <input type="text" id="firstname" /><br>
     </form>
     <a href="#" onclick="javascript:document.form1.firstname.value='foo bar';return false">click</a>
     </body>
     </html>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No, thats what I have at the moment. Heres what I have:
    Javascript:
    document.write('<td><a href="#" id="' + newdate + ' onClick="javascript:document.book.callInput.value='+ newdate +'; return false;">' + newdate + '</a></td>');

HTML:
    <form name="book" action="validate.php" method="post">
    	<input type="text" name="callInput" />
    </form>

Its fairly similar to yours except mine doesn't work :).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

document.write('<td><a href="#" id="' + newdate + ' onClick="javascript:document.book.callInput.value='+ newdate +'; return false;">' + newdate + '</a></td>');

HTML:
    <form name="book" action="validate.php" method="post">
    	<input type="text" name="callInput" />
    </form>

Your document.write statement is faulty. Check your quotes and double quotes. Pay particular attention to quotes near your newdate variable. Remember that you must close every open quote and enquote every variable.
    Finally, document.book.callInput.value is not DOM code and will only work on certain browsers (which may be what is mostly causing your problem). Replace it with:
    document.getElementById('callInput').value

-RD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

document.getElementById('callInput').value

Close, but that won't work unless he has no "id" attribute in his "input" tag. So add one, or use the old reliable full DOM path ...
    document.forms['book'].elements['callInput'].value = 'xyz';

. Watch out for everything else Ron mentions

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

cgarvey wrote:
    Close, but that won't work unless he has no "id" attribute in his "input" tag. So add one, or use the old reliable full DOM path ...
    document.forms['book'].elements['callInput'].value = 'xyz';

. Watch out for everything else Ron mentions
    document.getElementByName('callInput').value

If no id is set. Sorry about that, just scanned it, saw callInput and assumed it was an id. document.forms causes me no end of headaches cross browser wise any time I use it that's why I use .getElementById/.getElementByName instead, straight to the tag you're looking to use no hassle.

-RD

• Advertisement
Advertisement