Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

processes

• 17-07-2007 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭

hey,just a quick question someone might be able to help me with.aat any time i seem to have 7 svchost.exe processes running in the task manager.i know its a necessary windows process but surely it isnt normal to have 7 of them running at any time.ive attached a shot of the task manager so you can see.
    i ask as im trying to cut down on the processes running at any time to lower the memory commit charge.am i right in thinking if i do this my computer will run faster.running games is becoming a bit of a pain.ive 512MB memory after that i think i extended it 1.2G virtual.
    anyways maybe a dumb Q but any help appreciated
    cheers!
    aL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Get xp-antispy.
    Turn off all the services you don't use. http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

Defrag your hardrive and your pagefile.
    Buy more ram ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

ive ran about 6 different antidpy programs n still using alot of memory of bat.ive about 66 proceses running and goone through every one of 'em and they're all normal processes or relate to programs i have running.but looking at the entire list the memory usage doesnt seem to add up to the commit charge at any time.is commit charge the memory actually in use at a given time or the amount allocated to be used or something.i dont know you might have guessed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

sysinternals Process explorer will give you a lot more information on each running process including most of the svchost that you are looking at.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Processesandthreadsutilities.mspx?wt.svl=featured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As long as those svchost.exe files are located in the System32 folder then they are legitimate as far as I know, Process Explorer will tell you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

read about msconfig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

512mb is going to be stretching it to run the majority of games these days anyway.

edit: Also "weatherbug.exe" sets alarm bells ringing in my head. lots of spyware crap poses as stuff like that, toolbars, weather info widgets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Stephen wrote:
    512mb is going to be stretching it to run the majority of games these days anyway.

Tell me about it, I had a PC death a few months back and had to revert to my spare 2.8ghz but the board couldn't handle my fast ram so I went down from 2GB to 512mb. Make yours 1GB min.

Anyway that's totally normal, I currently have 6 running myself and I can assure you my machine is clean. I think you may just be on a wild goose chase.

Advertisement