Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

International Driving Permit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 [NOG]ph0rce

Anyone??????? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Where are you going driving?

As long as you have a full irish drivers license you are allowed drive in almost any country with no need for that con from the AA... just ring a rental company in the country your going to and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Hey there, I just got one of these the other day from the AA in Drury St. I agree they are a bit of a con, but better to have as much documentary backup for driving abroad as possible.

You definitely don't need it for driving in the EU, but I am going to be driving in NZ, Australia and the US over the next few months so just want to be covered.

It only costs €5 from the AA and they issue it there and then on the spot so is pretty painless. One gripe I have is that it's huge! abbout 1.5x the size of the regular licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As far is I understand it, Its purpose is only to translate the details on your national Drivers licence, so that non-English speaking (or more likely, non-Roman alphabet using) officials can understand it. It's not a licence in itself, and you have to have your licence with you in order to use it.

You dont need one to drive in the US, and I doubt you do in Aus or NZ either. It would probably be needed in the likes of Japan or Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

phutyle wrote:
    As far is I understand it, Its purpose is only to translate the details on your national Drivers licence, so that non-English speaking (or more likely, non-Roman alphabet using) officials can understand it. It's not a licence in itself, and you have to have your licence with you in order to use it.

You dont need one to drive in the US, and I doubt you do in Aus or NZ either. It would probably be needed in the likes of Japan or Saudi Arabia.

What phutyle said , not needed in an English speaking country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

You can drive here for up to a year on any non-EU licence so I presume it works both ways in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Sorry for resurrecting but I came across this while looking for something else and it hasnt really been answered.

First comment - yes those you listed are scams.
    In fact in the US you could end up with large fine or doing time because they could be considered as a fake licence hence fake official ID.

The genuine AA version is the official Irish version of the international driving permit and cost a measly €5 or something, hardly a con. It is required by some countries, they have a list so you neednt feel conned in to buying one if you dont need it, but essentially all it is an international paper translation of your licence in to whatever relevent language for the country you are travelling to under some 1940s international agreement. It is only legal with your full licence.

It is valid for a year. You may need to produce it to the local police if stopped abroad, because surprisingly not all foreign police speak English.

Same applies to non EU/EEA (and 8 other countries) foreigners coming here, their licence is valid to drive on for a year from date of arriving here, with an IDL from their own country if not in English. Try reading a Chinese licence.

The scam comes from conmen who sell these so called international driving licences to foreigners who are under the assumption that paying 150 will allow them drive legally over here for 3 years.
    I've seen one. They look real they look professional they look official but for €80 to €150+ for a laminated photo card why wouldnt they. (Think some fellow in Cork was doing them, probably from his house.)
    After that they must apply same as anyone else for a new licence, test and all.

They half cover themselves in the ads with "valid only with the original driver’s license, which must be currently valid"
    Well after a year its not valid but you just gave €150 for a fake ID when you could have got an official IDL for a few euro equivalent.

I dont know if the gardai are particularly aware of them but the Driving licence office in the Customs house considers them a scam. The States are pretty peeved about them and could make an example of you if you showed one to a state trooper. Gardai would probably not know the difference and wave you on. Feel free to correct me if you know otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wil wrote:
    ...... because surprisingly not all foreign police speak English.......
    Why do you find that surprising? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Why do you find that surprising? :confused:
    Apologies, I was being too subtle, I dont, its not, but thought it so blatantly obvious that didnt think it was necessary to involve mr rolleyes.

Maybe some dont realise this could be a real possibility in dem dar foreigner countries leading to comments such as
    "As long as you have a full irish drivers license you are allowed drive in almost any country with no need for that con from the AA"

Describing a valid and often required document as a con serves only to confuse it with the actual cons.

In future I will try to use :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: blatant sarcasm:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: where it is required, but all in good spirit.:)

Advertisement