Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!!!urgent!!!!

Options
  • 17-07-2007 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Intel Xeon x3210 €276.87
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic €40
    Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS €137.19
    LG 22" LCD L226WTQ-SF €260.33
    Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium OEM edition €77.42
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM €177.69
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM €82.60
    Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC6400 2048MB CL4 €109.09
    PSU €
    Cooler Master Aquagate Mini R120 €
    EVGA nForce 680i SLI €205.79
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB GDDR3 €316.53
    Logitech G5 Laser Mouse 2007 €55.37
    Logitech® UltraX Media Keyboard €20.21
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX €

Can anyone recommend a PSU?

Do you believe i'm wasting money on anything?

Do you know anywhere I can buy this at a cheaper price?

Can anyone find somewhere I can purchase the Cooler Master Aquagate Mini R120?

Are all these compatible with each other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Any particular reason for the Xeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Any particular reason for the Xeon?

Why? I am to believe it has great overclockablilty potential. its 8MB, quad core and seems to be great value for the price compared to Core 2 Quad, no?

What processor do you reccomend then?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Well, afaik, intel are cutting the price on the q6600 on the 22nd or there abouts of this month. Estimates are putting it at $266, which would be a fair bit under the xeon.

For gaming and overclockability what is the best processor then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

xeon is a bit mad. Intel price cuts due in less than 10 days. See what you can get for your money then.
    Raptor - its your money, 'tis bling and all, but save yourself €150 and get a seagate 7200.10 250GB for the OS and apps, performance is pretty damn close, the new 7200.11 when it comes soon is more so. Then take that spare €150 and bump up that GTS to a GTX instead :cool:
    Can't comment on the aquagate, does it integrate into the case? Otherwise for an off the shelf CPU watercooler the Corsair Nautilus is well regarded and will handle a quadcore cpu.
    Ballistix - savage price, is that before VAT?
    Drivers are still a bit of a biatch for 64bit Vista, might want to stick with 32-bit.
    Logitech z-5500, awesome, nothing else like em'.

650w Antec Trio or Corsair/Seasonic 620w if you aren't going to SLI GTX's otherwise go with something 750w+ the above brands or Enermax.

• Advertisement

Cassiel wrote:
    xeon is a bit mad. Intel price cuts due in less than 10 days. See what you can get for your money then.
    Raptor - its your money, 'tis bling and all, but save yourself €150 and get a seagate 7200.10 250GB for the OS and apps, performance is pretty damn close, the new 7200.11 when it comes soon is more so. Then take that spare €150 and bump up that GTS to a GTX instead :cool:
    Can't comment on the aquagate, does it integrate into the case? Otherwise for an off the shelf CPU watercooler the Corsair Nautilus is well regarded and will handle a quadcore cpu.
    Ballistix - savage price, is that before VAT?
    Drivers are still a bit of a biatch for 64bit Vista, might want to stick with 32-bit.
    Logitech z-5500, awesome, nothing else like em'.

650w Antec Trio or Corsair/Seasonic 620w if you aren't going to SLI GTX's otherwise go with something 750w+ the above brands or Enermax.

All above prices are without vat and are from Komplett except the X-Fi
    I may just wait with the Raptor.
    Is the difference between GTS and GTX worth the money?
    I'll check the watercooler:cool:
    64 bit costs 50 cents more than 32 so does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

toco123 wrote:
    All above prices are without vat and are from Komplett except the X-Fi
    I may just wait with the Raptor.
    Is the difference between GTS and GTX worth the money?
    I'll check the watercooler:cool:
    64 bit costs 50 cents more than 32 so does it matter?

22" will prob make good use of the GTX the GTS should do fine though. 64 bit vista for 4 gigs of ram or more really you dont need it otherwise. Speakers are perfect.. I have them myself :) core2quads are like €500 now and thats cheap I think compared to like a 1000 for the extremes...

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

The xeons seem to benchmark similar to the core 2 quad.

Do you think i'm overspending anywhere because i calculated it would cost under 2000 and my dad AIN'T happy!

If i exclude the raptor... and what else?

should i just buy 6400/6600 and mega overclock that?

The point to this computer is expandability so the monitor, motherboard and case stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

just get an E6600, good overclocker, should be cheaper

Whats the difference between a US keyboard and a UK one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

z5500's are a luxury for sure. you can get a Creative/Logitech 5.1 / 7.1 system for a lot less. That'll cut €200 off the system.
    Stick with the 640mb GTS, it is ideally suited to a 20-22" resolution.

You could stick with aircooling the cpu and save yourself €100.
    Those q6600's should be around €300 in a few days. Hold out.
    If looks weren't an issue, the Antec Sonata 3 (dabs.ie & overclockers.co.uk) is a very decent case with a built in Antec 500w PSU and its an unbeatable €115.
    Save a couple of quid and get the Ballistix ddr2-667, this will clock up to ddr2-800 without breaking a sweat.

Difference between US vs UK keyboard is mainly the layout of some of the symbol keys, #@$£;$ etc
    toco123 wrote:
    The xeons seem to benchmark similar to the core 2 quad.

Do you think i'm overspending anywhere because i calculated it would cost under 2000 and my dad AIN'T happy!

If i exclude the raptor... and what else?

should i just buy 6400/6600 and mega overclock that?

The point to this computer is expandability so the monitor, motherboard and case stay!

toco123 wrote:
    Whats the difference between a US keyboard and a UK one?

Cassiel wrote:
    z5500's are a luxury for sure. you can get a Creative/Logitech 5.1 / 7.1 system for a lot less. That'll cut €200 off the system.
    Stick with the 640mb GTS, it is ideally suited to a 20-22" resolution.

You could stick with aircooling the cpu and save yourself €100.
    Those q6600's should be around €300 in a few days. Hold out.
    If looks weren't an issue, the Antec Sonata 3 (dabs.ie & overclockers.co.uk) is a very decent case with a built in Antec 500w PSU and its an unbeatable €115.
    Save a couple of quid and get the Ballistix ddr2-667, this will clock up to ddr2-800 without breaking a sweat.

Difference between US vs UK keyboard is mainly the layout of some of the symbol keys, #@$£;$ etc

I have found a dirt cheap brilliant value used watercooling system which looks like its gonna sell for under €30 WITH free delivery!!

Is it possible to fix a capitater on an a graphics card easily?

i cant find that ram. The one above was the cheapest on Komplett for 2gig

I think i can find second hand z5500 anyway and that Antec case isn't on dabs nor overclockers!!!

Sorry it is on Overclockers

Is it easy to fix a capicitaor that has snapped off a graphics card? Is it just a case of soldering?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

toco123 wrote:
    Is it easy to fix a capicitaor that has snapped off a graphics card? Is it just a case of soldering?

If that's all that's wrong with it, then yes.

emm... the seller does not have the original capicator. Does this matter ?any reccomended wattage for soldering?

Advertisement