Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan 350Z Questions

Options
  • 17-07-2007 10:00pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Looks like I am going to buy a Nissan 350Z, it is a jap import and this leads me to my questions. This would be the first car that I would own that is a jap import, with this can you can you let me know if this will cause any problems.

One other thing is the radio, sat nav and TV in the car are set up for Japan, however the dealer has said they will send it away for it to be reconfigured for Ireland. Is this an easy thing to do for them and will I have any problems

Thanks
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would assume that it is done either one of two ways:

1. - A software update is done to the Sat Nav system itself to include English language and Ireland/Europe maps.

2. - If the Sat Nav is DVD based then they simply send off for a English DVD with European maps.

I could be totally wrong here but this would be my take on it. Ask the dealer what exactly is involved to be sure.

Lovely car btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Unless you personally import the car and have verifiable history of the car I wouldnt bother with a Jap import, there's far too many clocked and crashed being sold on in this country to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I did have a 350Z but it wasnt an import so I cant answer your specific questions. AFAIK the spec is lower on the Jap models but you do have the option of tiptronic gears. As regards the audio, just one thing to be careful of (which was certainly common on the non Jap models) is that the passenger side speaker regularly stopped working which requires a complete change of stereo. Also make sure to check the tyres as "feathering" was also common.

Outside of that fantastic motor and best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

You can "I'm told" get the software to change the dvd sat nav to English, but I haven't found anyone who has it yet. Unless you replace the whole unit the buttons will always be in Japanese (obviously)

As for the car, It looks great drives pretty well but the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Its noisy, very stiff ride not great for long journeys and loves to drink can't say that about them all but my Jap spec 04 auto does. Oh and unless you can find that software the screen is really going to drive you crazy and maybe teach you japanese.

I would sell it on but it looks so beautiful in the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Jap radio/TV are at different frequencies to European radio/TV, so I'd guess there would be more to converting them than a software update, possibly a change of head unit. For example, Japanese FM goes from something like 75 to 95MHz, meaning you're not gonna get Spin103.8 on it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Jap radio/TV are at different frequencies to European radio/TV, so I'd guess there would be more to converting them than a software update, possibly a change of head unit. For example, Japanese FM goes from something like 75 to 95MHz, meaning you're not gonna get Spin103.8 on it ;)

Yea you can you just need to attach a waveband expander to it

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

thanks guys i have read about the wave band extender so that sorts out the radio the sat nav is dvd based so it just needs the maps. All that leaves is the TV and I wonder if they can get that working as promisied?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I don't know if a TV would be all that much use in a car anyway. Better off with watching DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

blastman wrote:
    I don't know if a TV would be all that much use in a car anyway

On my way home from work, I prefer watching the 6.1 news to listening to the 2 minute news you get at best on the radio ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

unkel wrote:
    On my way home from work, I prefer watching the 6.1 news to listening to the 2 minute news you get at best on the radio ;)
    Great to see you're giving the road your full attention Unkel:D

• Advertisement

What I meant was, I didn't think the signal would be that great for the TV picture, especially when driving. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

blastman wrote:
    I didn't think the signal would be that great for the TV picture, especially when driving. :D

Better than you think - although all tv systems I've seen don't work when the car is on the move*

*unless the software has been hax0red :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Better than you think - although all tv systems I've seen don't work when the car is on the move*

*unless the software has been hax0red :D

I'd hope not. :D

Usually it's a wire connected to the handbrake, so it only works when the handbrake is on, no? That's the way my car DVD player works anyway.

Advertisement