Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

double yellow lines

Options
  • 17-07-2007 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question
    If I was coming from a side street to a main street and was involved in an accident due to a car on double yellows blocking my view. Who would be deemed to be at fault?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You would

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The driver is required to adapt his driving to the conditions presented to him.

Do you recall the awful accident in Avoca a few years back? A tractor driver, who was drawing hay, had his view was blocked by a van parked on double yellow lines. He took a chance and moved out resulting in the deaths of two young girls. He was prosecuted. (I can't remember the outcome but AFAIK no action was taken against the van driver).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why would anyone think that someone other than a driver who did not yield to traffic with the right of way(traffic on the opposite side where nobody is parked on dbl yellows) be at fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Another issue is if the driver was still in the parked car he is perfectly entitled to remain stopped on the double yellow lines once he is in the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

tuxy wrote:
    Quick question
    If I was coming from a side street to a main street and was involved in an accident due to a car on double yellows blocking my view. Who would be deemed to be at fault?

Regrettably, you are most likely at fault; the moving vehicle usually gets it in most situations. The fact that the other car was parked, blocking your view, doesn't come in to it.
    ninty9er wrote:
    Why would anyone think that someone other than a driver who did not yield to traffic with the right of way(traffic on the opposite side where nobody is parked on dbl yellows) be at fault

ninty9er people might think this 'cause in lots of civilised countries with much lower road fatality rates than ours, the illegally parked car, causing the obstruction could get hit with 60% of the damages in this situation.

I’ve known situations where, even with no driver present, the illegally parked driver pays 60%, the driver involved (OP) pays 30% and the third party 10% (nobody is blameless, third-party should have been paying due care and attention).

This system always seemed more just to me…. time to start a campaign methinks…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

This could have happened to me this morning, A van had pulled in at the correct distance from the turn out of my estate just opposite a bus stop. If I hadn't looked left a second time I would have splatted a kid running across the road and/or hit a bus coming the other way.

If there's an obstruction on the road or your view is blocked, expect the worst and just take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A legally parked truck may cause a visual obstruction even though it is not parked on double yellow lines. Motorists are required to proceed with caution in any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This thread illustrates the reason why I think dangerous and illegal parking should be treated with "zero tolerance". Many times I have come across someone parked on a blind hill or bend forcing me to either
    a) edge past him and hope there's nothing coming
    b) end my journey there and then if I'm on my own
    c) call the Gardai and wait

People in this country are feckin eejits when it comes to safe parking - like braindead zombies with tunnel vision they see "somewhere" to park and go for it without any thought for the danger their parking will cause for others. As someone said, in a civilised country the moron who parks dangerously would be partly blamed if their parking contributed a collision

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

a car parked on a single yellow line show not be there at all
    on a double yellow line it shouldn't be there at all at all....

Advertisement