Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux Remote Desktop

• 17-07-2007 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Hope ye can help me with this.
    I installed Ubuntu on my PC recently and have decided that it is perfect for my parents computer, given the lessened security risk, less chance of them screwing things up (which they have done in XP quite often. Despite repeated protests to the contrary. We didn't do anything I swear. it just stopped working)

However given that Linux would be fairly new to me (altough by no means totally unknown) and that it will be totally new to the parents (I can imagine the look on their faces the first time I tell them to open a terminal) I have an idea or two that might help them that i would like some help with.

Firstly, how can I video capture things I am doing on screen. ie I want to make a series of instructional videos (like click here for the Internet etc) and if they have any queries they can look at those.

Secondly, in order to help with any problems, is it possible to set up a remote connection of some description that would allow me to log onto their machine remotely and see what is causing them hassle, or just show them what to do.

Now obviously both these are totally possible, but I was hoping someone would have a link handy that would give detailed instructions. As I said I am not totally new to Linux but I wouldn't be that familiar with setting up network proxies or indeed anything to do with networks in general. Hell it took me months to figure out how to set up port forwarding in XP (granted the problem was I had three firewalls running, but still the fact that i couldn't figure out that that was the problem shows the lack of knowledge)

I would ask on the official Ubuntu Forums, but thought I would ask here first because I have gotten great help from boardsies before.

Thanks
    Dace

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi Dace,
    vnc2swf is great for making this kind of video.
    It discusses a newer version than the one I've used, but the idea is simple.
    You run a copy of VNC on the machine you want to record, and it makes
    a flash movie containing everything you do.
    Nice thing is this will work for linux, windows, anything with VNC available.

VNC could also be a part of your remote desktop access, so worth making
    the videos on your parents machine in the first place.
    VNC is not itself secured, so you'll need to connect to it over a secure channel like 'ssh'. I'd suggest looking for 'tightvnc' as it makes this kind
    of connection simpler.

Keep us posted, and if the videos are general enough, maybe link to some copies of them. Might be the start of a really useful resource if a few of us
    did some up for various tasks.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

There's a good thread on the Ubuntu forums somewhere about setting up VNC on Ubuntu that I followed once upon a time - try a search there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

To set VNC, go to the System menu, Preferences and Remote Desktop. Switch it on :)

I don't think you can encrypt it easily, but if they're behind a broadband router, you can block the port, and then the only reasonable way in is to use SSH port-forwarding to pass VNC through, which should be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

freenx / nxserver is so so so so so so so so much better than vnc for remote desktop. I think it's in the multiverse repositories for ubuntu. You should just need to enable them in synaptic or edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file to include it. I use it to telecommute every Friday and it works flawlessly.

Let us know how you get on with the video capture. I used a program before that captures individual screenshots then uses them to make an mpeg or animated gif, etc. Can't quite remember what it's called, but that thing Niall was talking about sounds excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Afaik Vnc doesn't work properly in ubuntu atm ( shinier icons > useful stuff I suppose) , I put in the debian bits ( vnc vnc common) into a lads pc last week that was causing grief and its fine since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the replies. Will definitely be checking out the Ubuntu forums. But I am registered here, which is why I posted on Boards. Didn't want to bother registering on Ubuntu forums just yet.

I will definitely try out the vnc2swf thingy, sounds exactly what I am looking for.
    I doubt I'll be posting any of the vids up here though. They will be of the order of. Click here to use the internet, click here for mail, click here etc. So they are definitely aimed at my parents more so than a general audience.

Question about VNC though. Does that allow me to actually see my parents desktop or does it only allow me to log onto the machine. Granted logging onto the machine would be damn handy, given I could solve problems. But what I was actually looking for was something that would allow me to actually see what the parents are doing. Something like Windows Remote Assistance.

Thanks
    Dace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Actually starting to read through all the info supplied, it looks like Vino will offer all the stuff I need.
    Has anybody used it, is there any security risks I should watch out for.
    Thanks
    Dace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Khannie wrote:
    freenx / nxserver is so so so so so so so so much better than vnc for remote desktop. I think it's in the multiverse repositories for ubuntu. You should just need to enable them in synaptic or edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file to include it. I use it to telecommute every Friday and it works flawlessly.

Let us know how you get on with the video capture. I used a program before that captures individual screenshots then uses them to make an mpeg or animated gif, etc. Can't quite remember what it's called, but that thing Niall was talking about sounds excellent.
    Have to agree with you there. NX rocks.

Advertisement