Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

giving it a bit of juice....

• 17-07-2007 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Ok...
    I know speeding is bad... dangerous etc... yada yada yada... appeasing the politicallty correct crowd with that one.
    But...
    These days pretty much any bike can easily pass the tonne. My question is ... how many of you will give it a bit of juice on a big stretch of good road when there is no traffic about. What i mean by this is something akin to the M4 or M50 southbound toward the n11 at say 10.30 at night with no visible cars in front and in good driving conditions (no wind, no rain, no crap on the road and good grip).
    Personally I have no probs doing so and have done so. I dont go crazy... but a quick roll on on a straight to 120 or 130 just to get an idea of what the machine can do for a short bit is no harm. I was talking with a garda biker. His advice was that they will overlook speeding in conditions such as that, but that if you are on an r1 or a 1098 going around a housing estate at 80kph they will not turn the blind eye and you will be done for. That said it is up to the garda in question.
    Anybody have any experiences ? Have you dont it (be honest) and I think we are all aware of road fatalities and dangers of speeding.. im not talking about speeding wrecklessly but in a controlled manner.

agent_smith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Totally agree, under the right circumstances I have no problem with a bit of speed. I took my bike up to 120mph (with plenty left) today on the M1 for a couple of seconds and had to lay off fairly quick. At those sorts of speeds the wind noise and hanging on for dear life can make it very hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hit a tonne on a 2 stroke 125 before on the Naas road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

To be honest I prefer doing 60 or 70 on the twisties.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:

MrP

Twisties, don't say that word around me :( , brings back bad memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

That sort of carry on is a disgrace... gives bikers a bad name an all...
    You should be ashamed of yourselves........:p

• Advertisement

The Doktor wrote:
    That sort of carry on is a disgrace... gives bikers a bad name an all...
    You should be ashamed of yourselves........:p

Yes, deeply ashamed :rolleyes: I shall now go and say 20 Hail Mary's to repent for my sins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

for clarity, tonne is metric - yesh?:D

So, that's 60 mph then (100kms......;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Quiet GalwayTT, always with the technicalities.......twas 100mph :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hey, it's late, and I'm just waiting waiting for my laptop battery to go....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

My bike only goes up to 95mph:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

All I'll say is the I found that the Gorey by-pass is now open. Also pretty much empty of cars. That's it, that's all I'll say. Oh and the sun was shining and there was no wind but that's all I'm saying.

Dorsanty wrote:
    All I'll say is the I found that the Gorey by-pass is now open. Also pretty much empty of cars. That's it, that's all I'll say. Oh and the sun was shining and there was no wind but that's all I'm saying.

Don't want to incriminate yourself ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

disgraceful!
    By the way... the V boost thingy on a vmax does work pretty well..... apparently...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

My bike only goes up to 95mph:(

In first?

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MrPudding wrote:

MrP

Ditto, I think I got somewhere near 150kmph max speed at the trackday in Mondello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

Ive done 3 advanced courses in the past 2 weeks, with 2 different trainers, both said to open it up if the conditions are right, 1 of them (not naming names) had me doing 140 in an 80 cause it was a clear stretch
    Havnt tried the gorey bypass yet, but windgates before the roadworks start in the morning is a short road but nice and wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

The Doktor wrote:
    disgraceful!
    By the way... the V boost thingy on a vmax does work pretty well..... apparently...:D
    the same as in my royal star.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

180 mph up the N11 on the TL1000R, a few years ago.

188 mph (recorded for posterity, and to combat the "the older I get, the faster I went" syndrome) up the M50 on an RSV1000R, a few less years ago.

I'm bad to the bone.

MrPudding wrote:
    In first?

MrP

Its only a dragstar 650, not an R1 unfortunately. To be fair to it though I do weigh 18 stone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Dorsanty wrote:

Speaking of which, has anyone seen any of the boys in blue speed-checking on this death trap :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr.B

182mph on the Busa last week!!!

Mr.B wrote:

Jasus! And that was just in the twisties :D On the bypass?

Was that when the limiter kicked in or was there some more in her?

Mr.B wrote:

Pfft! Lightweight. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

Does anyone else enjoy the acceleration more than the speed? I don't often drive above 100mph but I do love going from traffic lights onto the M50 at full acceleration, scares the crap out of me :eek:

Copper wrote:
    Does anyone else enjoy the acceleration more than the speed? I don't often drive above 100mph but I do love going from traffic lights onto the M50 at full acceleration, scares the crap out of me :eek:

Twisties, Acceleration and Straight-line speed. In that order :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr.B

182 but hadn't hit the limiter yet, still a bit in her. Was running out of road cos there was a bend ahead and there was no way I was getting around it at that speed!!!! As it was just managed to brake enough to make it around. What a rush though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

that would scare the crap outa my, 125ish is the fastses iver everbeen on a bike & i dont have any incling to beat that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I hit 140mph on the S4r, but she still had about 3000RPM left in her one time. On the 620, I got caught doing 140-160kph by a gard on the new part of the N30. No other cars around. He caught up with me at the petrol station in Enniscorty....
    saying "Are you a cop?"
    Me "no"
    Him "Jaysus I couldn't keep up with you on the turns"
    Me "ehhh.... yeah?! sorry about that"
    Him "Ah no your grand, I take it you had training"
    Me "Yes, be going for my RoSpA's soon I hope"
    Him "Thats a lovely Duc, me and the misses had a ST out in Italy last week"
    Me "LOL"

Few minites later
    Him "ok, bye now and have a fun drive home"
    me "ehhh... ok :D"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

sutty wrote:
    I hit 140mph on the S4r, but she still had about 3000RPM left in her one time. On the 620, I got caught doing 140-160kph by a gard on the new part of the N30. No other cars around. He caught up with me at the petrol station in Enniscorty....
    saying "Are you a cop?"
    Me "no"
    Him "Jaysus I couldn't keep up with you on the turns"
    Me "ehhh.... yeah?! sorry about that"
    Him "Ah no your grand, I take it you had training"
    Me "Yes, be going for my RoSpA's soon I hope"
    Him "Thats a lovely Duc, me and the misses had a ST out in Italy last week"
    Me "LOL"

Few minites later

Him "ok, bye now and have a fun drive home"
    me "ehhh... ok :D"

i think they turn a blind eye to motorbikes speeding in good circumstances

makes sense! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

100 mph on a Sportster, and it could do no more. There was no screen so it was no pleasant. I have a VRSCR, but the bike is new, and I have no screen, and as yet no one has sent me my docs so I will be cautious. Still speeding in a straight line is boring and not enjoyable to any great extent.

Still speeding in a straight line is boring and not enjoyable to any great extent.

As Cindy Crawford once said, it was a 10-second wonder. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and as yet no one has sent me my docs
    :eek:
    never, ever buy a bike without all documents being present and correct and in your hand as you ride away. Not even from a main dealer.
    The number of people I've heard of being f**ked about for months on end and getting done for no tax, etc, hassle in the meantime you wouldn't believe.
    I know at least one person who bought a bike off a well known dealer who never got the docs but was promised them... never did get them, turned out the frame number was a forgery and the bike was probably stolen from the UK :eek:

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Copper wrote:
    Fully agree Copper! I get a better kick out of acceleration than I do of straight line speed.

However I did "open it up" once on the M50 (perfect conditions so I thought I'd give it a go) and my speedometer was reading a little over 200kmph which means I was probably going around 180kmph...
    Didn't feel super safe though... And on a Bandit, those kind of speeds mean your head is trying to detach itself from your body so I didn't do it for very long! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I always go as fast as possible.

*nods*

• Advertisement
Advertisement