Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion - Hide number of posts and join date for a weeks trial

Options
  • 18-07-2007 1:41am
    Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure this must have been suggested or done in the past?

Will vbulletin let us turn off people's postcount, join date and stars? (and even mod status indicator outside of the forums they mod? )
    Also lets turn off sigs, avatars and disable image posting for a week.

Basically all you would see is the posters name, obviously there would still be people who know each other but it would mean in the main the responses to what people post would be purely based on the post, not the poster.

I know plenty of people will say that this is the way they act anyway, which is fine, no problem with the trial so..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

copacetic wrote:
    it would mean in the main the responses to what people post would be purely based on the post, not the poster.

Would it? Are we hiding the username too? Because it would be a sad individual indeed who'd reply a person's avatar or post count, rather than the actual post itself.

I do believe we've hidden post counts in the past, and it's done nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

not a bad idea, in fact it would be good if mods only show up as mods in their own forums, if the software allowed this of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Onkle wrote:
    it would be good if mods only show up as mods in their own forums

But that's all they are - mods in their own forums... users everywhere else.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Would it? Are we hiding the username too? Because it would be a sad individual indeed who'd reply a person's avatar or post count, rather than the actual post itself.

I do believe we've hidden post counts in the past, and it's done nothing.

well it probably won't but you never know. Not to be too obtuse but how can you tell it did nothing exactly? How would you measure the results? I've seen plenty of posts where people claim they are unaffected by prior knowledge or 'status' of posters, but imo they are denying human nature.

In my opinion all replies are coloured by what you may or may not know about the poster, conciously or not.

Ideally we would hide usernames too if that could be done with only the mod of a forum was able to see the posters name and only on their forums.

Any links to when it was done previously? As I said I'm sure it has but I couldn't find anything with a search..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Are we hiding the username too?

Now that would be really interesting.

• Advertisement

Irish Wolf wrote:

but they show up as 'mods' in other forums and there is a mod list at the bottom of each forum anyway. The 'mod: #forum' under people's username is not really needed on any forum imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The only thread I can remember about post counts was this hilarious result, more here. :) It was brought upon by some users proposing a -1 postcount forum. There was little or no difference when users went about their business knowing that they were down a few thousand posts as far as I can remember. It was later changed back to the way it was.

copacetic wrote:
    In my opinion all replies are coloured by what you may or may not know about the poster, conciously or not.

Not saying that's incorrect, but it's hardly related to a bit of trivia like the post count, or a person's avatar.

It would be interesting to set up a forum where everyone is annonymous, and see what happens.

Don't have any links to where the postcount thing was done before though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Irish Wolf wrote:

A lot of users are intimidated by mods though, even when it's outside th mods own forum

Also a common response when a mod makes a controversial point outside their own forum is 'I'd expect more from a mod' or 'a mod should know better' etc etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For every advantage this would give I bet there's a disadvantage.

For example - threads in which people ask for advice on products or location-specific information; user identification allows you to search back and read about that specific person's previous post on the subject and decide whether you want to pay attention to their opinion, whereas anonymity removes that until you get to the point of recognising people by their posting styles.

Plus, well, talking to a load of anonymous strangers isn't particularly appealing. In my own experience at least I find myself more active in forums where I have gotten to know some of the regulars, either by meeting them for beers IRL or just from reading the forums long enough.

I can't imagine I'm the only person to view boards this way, although if there's enough support for it this suggestion might have interesting repercussions...

• Advertisement

Not saying that's incorrect, but it's hardly related to a bit of trivia like the post count, or a person's avatar.

isn't it though, isn't it?? :)

I think it all factors in, low postcount users posts are often ignored, high postcount ones/mods/etc are often given too much weight or none at all depending on who you are and the bias of the audience.

I'm not saying it is one specific aspect of the users online persona that gives a certain reaction, but if we could hide all aspects of their online personality then people would live and die by what they say alone.

Based on the thread that Ruu has posted if we did it in a secret and in a hurry it'd be a great laugh too...

copacetic wrote:
    but they show up as 'mods' in other forums and there is a mod list at the bottom of each forum anyway. The 'mod: #forum' under people's username is not really needed on any forum imo.

Like I see you're mod of Lifehacking - tbh that means absolutely nothing to me.. and I wouldn't hesitate to pull you up on inappropriate behaviour, be it in your forum or outside it..

People that get their knickers in a twist over the whole mod conspiracy really need to get a grip on boards.ie and t'internet in general..

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Like I see you're mod of Lifehacking - tbh that means absolutely nothing to me.. and I wouldn't hesitate to pull you up on inappropriate behaviour, be it in your forum or outside it..

People that get their knickers in a twist over the whole mod conspiracy really need to get a grip on boards.ie and t'internet in general..

and rightly so, but you might be a special case and everyone else may not have your good heart and solid soul. Or maybe you might even find yourself thinking a second longer before you reply to peoples posts?

The mod thing is only a small aspect of it, this isn't a 'hide the mod status thread'. It is a 'hide all aspects that can identify a user' thread.

copacetic wrote:
    I think it all factors in, low postcount users posts are often ignored, high postcount ones/mods/etc are often given too much weight or none at all depending on who you are and the bias of the audience.

I don't think that's true, I mean, lots of new users have cropped up on the film board and offered very interesting first posts, moreso perhaps than people with larger post counts. I don't think a username gathers more attention than say, a thread title for example. I mean, if someone started a thread about Nicolas Cage, I wouldn't be all that interested, but if someone started a thread about Takeshi Kitano, I'd snap to attention.

In either situation, a person's postcount wouldn't even come into it. I wouldn't look at the thread about Kitano and check the user's postcount before making up my mind as to whether or not I'll be enthusiastic about it. Neither would a long term user make me any more enthused with a thread about the latest Keanu Reaves film.

I really think it's what we say that's given the most weight.

copacetic wrote:
    everyone else may not have your good heart and solid soul.

Me no have no heart or soul.. but on occasion I have a little small tiny wee bit of cop-on..

I don't think that's true, I mean, lots of new users have cropped up on the film board and offered very interesting first posts, moreso perhaps than people with larger post counts. I don't think a username gathers more attention than say, a thread title for example. I mean, if someone started a thread about Nicolas Cage, I wouldn't be all that interested, but if someone started a thread about Takeshi Kitano, I'd snap to attention.

In either situation, a person's postcount wouldn't even come into it. I wouldn't look at the thread about Kitano and check the user's postcount before making up my mind as to whether or not I'll be enthusiastic about it. Neither would a long term user make me any more enthused with a thread about the latest Keanu Reaves film.

I really think it's what we say that's given the most weight.

Well I'm not saying this isn't true, and again maybe you are a special case and can rise above the rest of us! Or maybe you are fooling not just us, but yourself??

Either way, I'd like to try it and see what happened. It's a trial, an experiment to test out these theories and opinions. How we would tell if anything changed or not I couldn't say at the moment, but I have some ideas.

Irish Wolf wrote:
    but on occasion I have a little small tiny wee bit of cop-on..

which can be a lot more than most people on here have.

copacetic wrote:
    which can be a lot more than most people on here have.

And so be it - \/ \/ him down there suggested a universal set of rules for "new" users - why not lend your support to that thread..

I for one am a fan of the stupidity filter*..

*until it catches me out the next time :p

copacetic wrote:
    Well I'm not saying this isn't true, and again maybe you are a special case and can rise above the rest of us! Or maybe you are fooling not just us, but yourself??

Well, I guess I'm just at a loss as to how well I know a user would make me have any more, or less interest in a topic that I do in general.

Well, I guess I'm just at a loss as to how well I know a user would make me have any more, or less interest in a topic that I do in general.

well not in the topic but maybe in how you would shape your response to their opinion? Especially if you disagreed.

As I said in my first post, if people don't think it'd affect them at all then they should have no problem with the trial? I could be on my own on this, which is fine too, it's an idea, not a philosophy.

• Advertisement

Irish Wolf wrote:
    And so be it - \/ \/ him down there suggested a universal set of rules for "new" users - why not lend your support to that thread..

well I actually think that is a good idea, but it's independent of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

In cases where a person is looking for help or suchlike, the post count can sometimes show how reputable the poster is. Example - If looking for help with a pc, a reponse from a person with a very high post count would generally indicate he knows what he is talking about, as opposed to somebody who has just joined and wants to mess with the OPs head. Just an opinion.

In cases where a person is looking for help or suchlike, the post count can sometimes show how reputable the poster is. Example - If looking for help with a pc, a reponse from a person with a very high post count would generally indicate he knows what he is talking about, as opposed to somebody who has just joined and wants to mess with the OPs head. Just an opinion.

very possibly, but it could just as well be that they don't and that the person that could have really helped you only had one previous post.

It'd be a trial, I'm not sure it'd work long term anyway for many reasons but that'd be a discussion for a later date.

copacetic wrote:
    well not in the topic but maybe in how you would shape your response to their opinion? Especially if you disagreed.

I still don't see it happening. If I disagree with someone, where does post count come into it? Am I going to disgree less with someone because of a higher post count? Am I going to read a post slamming The Seven Samurai, and think "omg, I'm going to tear your post apart, point by point!" then notice a post count of 10,000 or so, and then think to myself "Um, ok, well I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one."
    copacetic wrote:
    As I said in my first post, if people don't think it'd affect them at all then they should have no problem with the trial? I could be on my own on this, which is fine too, it's an idea, not a philosophy.

I'm all up for setting up a new forum to run a test, in the interest of experimenting, and it could certainly be a lot of fun too. You got my vote. ;)

Am I going to read a post slamming The Seven Samurai, and think "omg, I'm going to tear your post apart, point by point!" then notice a post count of 10,000 or so, and then think to myself "Um, ok, well I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one."

prob not, but say you saw a post from a new user with 10 posts saying 'the only good thing about the seven samaurai was that it led to the magnificent seven which yule brenner was excellent in'

Now you may just not bother to reply, could post a succint 'rubbish' or you may give them a point by point critique of the film. Which is more likely I couldn't say. I would say that I'd feel the weighting of probability of each reply would change if the poster was a 10k postcount regular of the movie forum. Of course you might say that a 10k poster would never diss Kurosawa, but this is just an example :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ruu wrote:
    The only thread I can remember about post counts was this hilarious result, more here. :)
    I remember. Funny stuff!

copacetic wrote:
    prob not, but say you saw a post from a new user with 10 posts saying 'the only good thing about the seven samaurai was that it led to the magnificent seven which yule brenner was excellent in'

Now you may just not bother to reply, could post a succint 'rubbish' or you may give them a point by point critique of the film. Which is more likely I couldn't say. I would say that I'd feel the weighting of probability of each reply would change if the poster was a 10k postcount regular of the movie forum. Of course you might say that a 10k poster would never diss Kurosawa, but this is just an example :D

I think that's a much better example, but I've seen some serious nonses with large post counts, so I still think that wouldn't come into it. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Get rid of all usernames, sigs, post counts etc for a while. How interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

copacetic wrote:
    I'm sure this must have been suggested or done in the past?

Will vbulletin let us turn off people's postcount, join date and stars? (and even mod status indicator outside of the forums they mod? )
    Also lets turn off sigs, avatars and disable image posting for a week.

Basically all you would see is the posters name, obviously there would still be people who know each other but it would mean in the main the responses to what people post would be purely based on the post, not the poster.

I know plenty of people will say that this is the way they act anyway, which is fine, no problem with the trial so..

Pointless effort for very little return.

I'm been on/worked with/managed forums with various combinations of the above it makes very little difference to the way people post. I think you're reading way to much into the very odd/occasional behaviours of odd/occasional users.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote:
    Pointless effort for very little return.

I'm been on/worked with/managed forums with various combinations of the above it makes very little difference to the way people post. I think you're reading way to much into the very odd/occasional behaviours of odd/occasional users.

Do you know exactly how much effort is involved? If it is doable in vbulletin, then it would be minor enough.

As for 'very little return', how do you define that? How do you define the very little difference? Any evidence?

As mentioned above I knew plenty of people would think it was a silly and/or pointless idea. If so I still don't see why you would have a problem with trying it?

Advertisement