Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] What blood glucose monitor do you have?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what blood glucose monitors most of you have out there?

Mine is the OneTouch Ultrasmart. I bought it myself. I have found it good as it gives me averages and graphs my blood sugars, it can also graph insulin etc and there is room for comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have the Optium Xceed, but I used to have the same one as you Cathy, and I preferred it. I got this new one from the clinic, so I'm using it for now.

My ideal meter would feature the following:
    1. Enclosed test strips
    2. Multiple LOUD alarms to remind you to test
    3. Daily and time-based averages
    4. Allow you to record insulin and food details
    5. Graphs
    6. Trends (e.g. rises on average by 5 after breakfast)
    7. Carbohydrate counter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

I've got medisense Optium (quite old one, I suppose) I'm gonna change it in the near future. I'm not very fussy in here but the less blood it needs for the test the better :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rollotomassi

I've been using the Glucotrend 2 for a long time now. I'm applying to get my long term illness card updated so I can use the Accu-chek Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭2rs

Currently using the Accu-check advantage until I deplete my stock of test strips.

Was in for a check up recently and was given a new Ultrasmart soft touch, hope it has all the same features as Cathy mentioned.

Must recycle all the old ones as I am building up a bit of a collection - The hospital keep giving me a new one every 2 years or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm currently using a OneTouch Ultra.

For those of you looking for some way of recording your numbers, food intake and all sorts of other stuff that you can then look at in various interesting graphs and tables you might want to have a look at SiDiary. It was originally deveploped to run from Windows CE machines but there is now a Java version that should work on most relatively new mobile phones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glucotrend since 1888

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I use a PocketScan-LifeScan machine. I've got about three other monitors since I first got that but I keep forgetting to get my long term illness card updated for the new machines so I have to use the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

robinph wrote:
    I'm currently using a OneTouch Ultra.
    They're being replaced at the moment due to some problem.

I use a OneTouch Ultra 2. It's quick and doesn't take very much blood at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

europerson wrote:
    They're being replaced at the moment due to some problem.

I use a OneTouch Ultra 2. It's quick and doesn't take very much blood at all.
    Any idea what the problem was?

Seems that the problem is to do with people accidentally setting the wrong display format on the meters and then not realising. Clicky

I also noticed whilst having a look around their site that they are giving away the Ultra2 meters for free here. Their US site lets you choose an upgrade to the UltraMini, Ultra2 or UltraSmart for free though by the looks of it but we don't get that kind of choice. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Optium Xceed which I also download to the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

SeaSide wrote:
    Optium Xceed which I also download to the PC
    That sounds interesting. How did you get the cable, did the clinic provide it or did it come with it?

I like the meter that I have at the moment as it gives me a rough idea of how I am doing with the weekly and monthly averages etc and would be reluctant to switch though the idea of having a ketone checker is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Johnny Meagher

ACCU-CHEK Compact Plus (Roche). Enclosed 17 strip drum. I think it gives averages. The finger pricker attaches to the side so it's all-in-one (until you break the finger pricker...). Infra red PC connection but you have to get an adapter, previous meter experience with PC connection is you have to buy (technically you bought the software and the connector was "free"). Previous meter did this but found the software buggy. Hard to make "notes" to explain away a high that you tested again to make sure (and got so got two highs...). Pharmacist gave me the metre free. Handy to have strips and metre in one. About the size of a chunky mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

CathyMoran wrote:
    That sounds interesting. How did you get the cable, did the clinic provide it or did it come with it?

I like the meter that I have at the moment as it gives me a rough idea of how I am doing with the weekly and monthly averages etc and would be reluctant to switch though the idea of having a ketone checker is cool.

I got it via Abbott. They had a contact number on their website where you can get various replacements. Cost about €15 with another €5 for post. The software can be downloaded from the website.

Abbott Diabetes Care
    4051 Kinsgwood Drive
    Citywest Business Campus
    Saggart
    Dublin 24
    Phone Number: +1-800-776-633

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I have a bayer ascencia contour one its small and handy the lancet that comes with it isnt too nasty. my ketone one is some other brand and while itssupposedly more high tech (less blood and 2 seconds faster) thelancet device is like a dagger !!

Advertisement