Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regulations for door handle height

Options
  • 18-07-2007 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I noticed some new door handles in on a building which are too high IMO for a person in a wheelchair? Does anybody know where I could get a the guidelines or legislation for this sort of stuff so I can make some sort of constructive complaint?
    Rgds
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Irish Wheelchair Association might be able to provide you with information on building standards/regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Amz wrote:
    Irish Wheelchair Association might be able to provide you with information on building standards/regulations.
    Thanks for that. I got on to them. There are no legally enforcable standards just guidelines. Shocking really. I guess FF realise there isn't enough votes in enforcing something simple that would make a big difference to a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Well, FF now have a TD in the Dáil who is a wheelchair user, one would hope his presence there would encourage change. For starters Leinster House will need to become more accessible, maybe it'll get them to think more practically on a national level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

There are no legally enforcable standards just guidelines. Shocking really.
    This is not true. The Part M building regulations apply as a matter of law to all new and extended buildings. You can download a copy of the Part M guidelines, and the associated Technical Guidance Document (TGD) from Dept Environment website.

The Part M regulations themselves are very broad and high level. They really just state "Adequate provision shall be made to enable people with disabilities to safely and independently access and use a building". The TGD gets a bit more specific, but the TGD is not mandatory in itself. The TGD demonstrates how to ensure compliance with the broad Part M statement. If a building deviates from the TGD, the onus is on the owner/builder to show how the building complies with Part M.

In relation to door handles, the TGD states "1.29 Door handles should be located at a height of 900 mm to 1200 mm above floor level". If the building in question is new, and the door handles are outside these levels, you can make a complaint to the Building Control Officer at your local authority. Expect to be brushed off at first - you'll really need to make your complaint in writing, and specifically reference the Part M regs if you want them to take you anyway seriously.

If you want the bad news about how poorly the Part M regulations are enforced, read this report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Thanks for that. I got on to them. There are no legally enforcable standards just guidelines. Shocking really. I guess FF realise there isn't enough votes in enforcing something simple that would make a big difference to a minority.

It may be possible to bring a case under the Equal Status Act.Under this legislation businesses and public offices must make reasonable accommodation for disabled. What is reasonable depends on the circumstances. Check out the Equality Authority webpage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Rintyboos

I think you must note that Section 1.29 of Part M of the TGD only applies to dwellings. So if it was a public building it wont apply. For public buildings it merely states that "any door has ironmongery which is suitable for operation by people with disabilities" in section 1.7 (e).

Sorry for the late reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

Rintyboos wrote: »
    I think you must note that Section 1.29 of Part M of the TGD only applies to dwellings. So if it was a public building it wont apply. For public buildings it merely states that "any door has ironmongery which is suitable for operation by people with disabilities" in section 1.7 (e).

Sorry for the late reply!
    and if they cannot reach it how is it suitable?

Well if you go by the metric handbook, the average person in a wheelchair can reach forward to a height of between 1325 & 1410 above floor level. A normal handle would never be above 1300 without looking outrageously out of place so they should be located within reason. Im only pointing out that Part M doesn't actually make any requirement for a door handle position in a public building.

Well if you go by the metric handbook, the average person in a wheelchair can reach forward to a height of between 1325 & 1410 above floor level. A normal handle would never be above 1300 without looking outrageously out of place so they should be located within reason. Im only pointing out that Part M doesn't actually make any requirement for a door handle position in a public building.
    Part M?Of the act?

Even if not specifically but could it be inferred, i f the door handle is too high it is no good regardless of M

Part M is only offering guidance on how to comply with the Building Control Act but its pretty definitive and generally if it's not mentioned in the Technical Guidance Document it's because its not in the act. If you attempt to comply and can demonstrate that you have fallin in line with a given standard such as the Metric Handbook then you would comply. But common sense suggests you dont put door handles too high up. Part M makes a specific mention of a height of between 900 and 1200 but this only applies for Domestic buildings. It doesnt apply to any other building. Obviously if you put the door handles up at the top of the door you're creating problems and the regulations take care of this; for all other buildings it simply says ""any door has ironmongery which is suitable for operation by people with disabilities" and that doesn't neccesarily mean someone in a wheelchair. If they made it too rigid you'd run into problems with certain types of door designs so the main thing is that the architect ensures no matter what door is used, it can be used by a disabled person. Im actually surprised its so rigid in terms of domestic dwellings.

• Advertisement

Part M is only offering guidance on how to comply with the Building Control Act but its pretty definitive and generally if it's not mentioned in the Technical Guidance Document it's because its not in the act. If you attempt to comply and can demonstrate that you have fallin in line with a given standard such as the Metric Handbook then you would comply. But common sense suggests you dont put door handles too high up. Part M makes a specific mention of a height of between 900 and 1200 but this only applies for Domestic buildings. It doesnt apply to any other building. Obviously if you put the door handles up at the top of the door you're creating problems and the regulations take care of this; for all other buildings it simply says ""any door has ironmongery which is suitable for operation by people with disabilities" and that doesn't neccesarily mean someone in a wheelchair. If they made it too rigid you'd run into problems with certain types of door designs so the main thing is that the architect ensures no matter what door is used, it can be used by a disabled person. Im actually surprised its so rigid in terms of domestic dwellings.
    if i were the op i would make a complaint and let the tribunal decide about the height.if it stops a person in a wheelchair from using it, and i was in a wheelchair,then i would complain

Advertisement