Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawn fertiliser?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Looking for comments on what fertiliser to apply my new lawn [sowed 5weeks ago].
    I was recommended the Marathon Sport NPK 12-1-14+2,5MgO+0,5FE which is a slow release low PH fertiliser but am unsure about damaging the new growth grass.

the issue is that the with all the recent rain the grass is not thickened as much as would have likened in certain areas and is also showing shades of yellow.

What fertiliser is recommended which will not burn the grass etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

The bottom of this article NEW LAWN CARE describe how to fertilise a new lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Hi Irish gardener

Do you think it is better to wait for at least 3 cuts of the grass. i was advised to put some fertiliser down now before the grass goes all yellow or does not develop right and something with low salt? content should be OK

Is there a specific new lawn fertiliser available which will not damage the lawn but promote root growth and thickening up of lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

bro' wrote:
    Do you think it is better to wait for at least 3 cuts of the grass.
    Yes I do.
    bro' wrote:
    i was advised to put some fertiliser down now before the grass goes all yellow or does not develop right and something with low salt? content should be OK
    Well if the lawn is going to go all yellow and not develop now just because a fertiliser is not added immediately, then I don't hold out much hope for the lawn over the next few months or years.
    What I mean to say is, don't baby the lawn, instead give it the required first three mowings then apply the fertiliser.
    Sure most of that pricey low salt lawn feed will probably be washed down by our many recent rain showers, deep to an area below which the grass roots can access its goodness,
    The certain areas of the lawn showing shades of yellow could be caused by other factors such as water holding, soil compaction/overworking (requiring aerating) or possibly they are areas where subsoil was mixed with topsoil (requiring topdressing or frequent fertilising.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

thanks for the feedback, I will check the couloured areas for water holding etc. i need to wait until it drys up a bit before doing my first cut as the grass it not far off 3 inches :) but need to also roll it before the first cut as alot of wee stones are visible after all the rain:(

Advertisement