Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice???

Options
  • 18-07-2007 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I'm getting ready to build myself a computer in the next few weeks, I've never built one before so I'm not certain on what I should be buying like. Anyway I was just wondering has anyone got any suggestions? I've settled on the following so far but after that I'm open to suggestions.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6700
    Point of View GeForce 8800GTS 320MB €298
    500GB HDD €105
    Samsung 20" LCD Syncmaster 206BW €279

I've currently got a drive from my old pc which should be perfect.

Not sure what motherboard to get, any suggestions?

And any idea where I can get the above for cheaper? Apart from the Core 2 Duo that is, I'm getting a brilliant price for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

What are you going to be using this for and what is your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

I'm going to be using it for gaming and also for running graphics modules in college.

My budget would be about 1000 in total. That's not including the E6700.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Is that everything, including monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

AirDemon wrote:
    I'm getting ready to build myself a computer in the next few weeks, I've never built one before so I'm not certain on what I should be buying like. Anyway I was just wondering has anyone got any suggestions? I've settled on the following so far but after that I'm open to suggestions.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6700
    Point of View GeForce 8800GTS 320MB €298
    500GB HDD €105
    Samsung 20" LCD Syncmaster 206BW €279

I've currently got a drive from my old pc which should be perfect.

Not sure what motherboard to get, any suggestions?

And any idea where I can get the above for cheaper? Apart from the Core 2 Duo that is, I'm getting a brilliant price for that.

Thats a very good monitor but for about €30 more you can get a very similar 22"
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335466

Komplett is selling a 500gb harddrive for €99.95
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331024

Don't know what to say about the GTS... Club3d have a 320MB GTS for €275 but i don't know how it compares an for extra €60, you can get a 640MB
    Club3d 8800 GTS 320MB
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332345

Actually buy this now and you will thank me later!
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-XFX-GEFORCE-8800-ULTRA-XXX-OC-768MB-8800ULTRA-BONUS_W0QQitemZ330147926782QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its only €326 and thats a hell of a bargain. Usualy RRPs at €735

It's €1000 for everything yeah.

I could stretch to just over that but I want to keep the price a little contained at least.

The monitor looks pretty nice, might get that one alright.

I'm not quite ready to buy yet, I want to have a full plan before I buy anything, thats mainly because I want to make sure I get the best possibly combination for the money I spend.

Any suggestions for the motherboard? Have looked at a few but not really sure about any.

• Advertisement

how much do you plan to leave aside for the mobo?

It's €1000 to spend and then I'll buy the mobo after that amount. Like I can get an E6700 for a decent price so I'll get that and I've about €1000 to spend on everything else.

depends you see. If you want a motherboard providing good expandibilty and overclockablity ( which you want) and since you're gone down the geforce and intel route go for one of the latest nforce 680i boards. It will get the best out of your CPU and you 8800GTS

I personally recommend this one and also not to go down to the lightweight versions either. The XFX's one i'd say is fine too
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335103

Sorry I was actually rushing my last post I meant to say that I need to get the mobo, gfx card, monitor and hdd and anything else i need for under a grand. I want to get something low cost right now and get a newer mobo in a year or so when there are more stable sli models out there as I've been told that the the only really good sli mobos out there right now are rather buggy and unstable.

I've been looking at 2 mobo the D975XBX2KR and the DQ965GFEKR which I can get at a reduced price. Actually a very reduced price.

Intel Shop.com

Sorry for the confusion. €250 is a little much for a mobo I'm thinking but that could just be me being a little tight.

Do you want to overclock your PC?

• Advertisement

Nah, it's not one of my objectives, I wouldn't mind having the option to do so but it's not anywhere near the most important thing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Don't bother with the stock Intel boards they are not really meant for self builders anyway, this Gigabyte board based on the Intel P965 chipset is all you need for €99.

Advertisement