Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[NEWS] Thousands left without phone service (Eircom)

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:01am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0718/eircom.html
    Thousands left without phone service
    Wednesday, 18 July 2007 10:50

Thousands of Eircom subscribers living in the midlands and on the east coast have been told their phone service may not be restored until after the weekend.

Earlier this week a lightning strike knocked out the service in parts of Kilkenny, Leitrim, Louth, Monaghan, Sligo, Wexford and Wicklow.

Eircom spokesperson Paul Bradley says crews are working on the problem but it may take until Monday to fully restore the service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whens the strike due?

Mike.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

It happened yesterday, it was a lightning strike ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

boom boom tushhhhhhhhhhhhh! :D

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

lighning can toast entire exchanges
    (Tuesday, 17th July 2007) As a result of lightning storms across the country many eircom customers are experiencing loss or disruption of telephone service. The lightning storms which began yesterday and continued through the night into today have resulted in over 7,500 telephone faults.

eircom has put in place its Storm Recovery Plan and has mobilised members of the service delivery and network engineering teams to the assist and repair teams.

Staff will be deployed to the worst affected areas of the country These include parts of the South East (Kilkenny, Wexford and Wicklow), North East (Monaghan and Louth) and the Midlands (Sligo, Leitrim, Longford and Roscommon).

Our call centres continue to handle an exceptionally high level of calls. As a result some customers may be experiencing delays in their calls being answered.

eircom estimates at this stage that it will take up to at least the weekend to restore service. eircom would like to assure all of our customers that we are working to restore service to all affected customers as soon as possible.
    10:57 Wednesday 18 July 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Did the union organise the [lightning] strike ? ;)

eircom heads were on TV during the week saying that apart from fault repair, the network would run itself.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not suprised was out cycling monday evening in the sun and south of donegal across benbulben and the leitrim hills you could see the blackest clouds and you could see the lightening and hear the thunder 40 miles away amazing not really eircoms fault though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

not suprised was out cycling monday evening in the sun and south of donegal across benbulben and the leitrim hills you could see the blackest clouds and you could see the lightening and hear the thunder 40 miles away amazing not really eircoms fault though

I'm curious does their "we'll give you credit if your fault is not fixed in x amount of days" promise work in this situation :D

Read the small print on that 'guarantee' Cabaal :D

No!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Read the small print on that 'guarantee' Cabaal :D

No!

I don't use eircom and I don't have a phonebook so didn't have it to hand to read :)

you will find it in the bowels of the customer 'service' bit of their dreadful website...unlinkeable as ever. Anyway if lightning hitsthe line they can

1. go over 5 days or whatever
    2. and give you no compo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I presume this means that some customers in these areas, as opposed to entire exchange or STD areas??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Ah go on, can we not just blame them for this rotten summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

JMcL wrote:
    Ah go on, can we not just blame them for this rotten summer?
    oh allright then but dont forget the greens the weathers been terrible since they went into gov. must have something to with it. sorry for going OT

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you will find it in the bowels of the customer 'service' bit of their dreadful website...unlinkeable as ever. Anyway if lightning hitsthe line they can

1. go over 5 days or whatever
    2. and give you no compo

yeah and its 5 working days from the time you report the fault, not from the time the fault happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

oh allright then but dont forget the greens the weathers been terrible since they went into gov. must have something to with it. sorry for going OT

I guess the greens want the rain to ensure that Ireland remains green in some shape or form after the next election.

Grabs my coat

more lightning today , clare and tipp got it this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Why do I have images in my head os Spongebob walking around Ireland with a Wizard's hat and spell book casting spells of torrential rain and gloom in the highlands and bylands? :)

Too much Harry Potter me thinks (being the day that's in it and all that)!

All fixed then crawler , is it ??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

You are a bad man SB. :)

I am not, I would not wish lightning on any service provider or customer. It wreaks havoc on the west coast every 2 years min. Thars why all my house rig is wifi and dect to the end user. I only need 1 new base station and router if caught on the hop .

I even know someone deaf in one ear since they were hit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement