Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rollout of ADSL2?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is with ADSL2? Are exchanges being upgraded and if so where? It seems that the rest of the planet has moved at this stage.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Valentia wrote:
    Does anyone know what the story is with ADSL2? Are exchanges being upgraded and if so where? It seems that the rest of the planet has moved at this stage.

Whose ADSL2+? Smart and Magnet at least already use ADSL2+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

eircom are starting trials in Blanchardstown, Leixlip and a couple of other exchanges (according to somewhere on eircomwholesale.ie)

Don't hold your breath!!

Go with Smart or Magnet if they're in your area. Me thinks if they're not in your area you're not off one of the big exchanges so the chances of you being in eircom's first wave of exchanges is unlikely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

I understand that eircom is planning to launch a 12Mbps ADSL2+ based Internet product later this year in about 40 exchanges around Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What happened to the VDSL2000+++++XX++++ **** that the Dubs were promised last year Grommet ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The info I have to hand is that a product of 10 Mbps download and 832 kbps upload is on the cards this year. Nothing mentioned of it being limited all of Dublin, but it may be selected parts only.

Lots of trials of this sort of thing were going on in Dublin for the past 2 years, but they're a bit late in actually launching some of them. Wimax being the height of it, and there's been no reports of people who failed the line test and subsequently got WiMax.

Their continued DSL rollout is also pretty late. One exchange which I saw was planned to be enabled in Jan 2007 only got planning permission for its very construction in late May. I'm talking about the famed 100 exchanges, which we are still awaiting news on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

none of the 100 ( dont ask about the 300) are actually live yet althogh there are murmers some may go live this month .

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

I’ve been told by Eircom that the Nurney exchange in Kildare will be done in November. Over the last few months there has been a bit of activity around the exchange – sub contractors doing some electrical upgrading work and the like. Obviously if the strike goes ahead I presume this time scale will go out the window. At this stage Eircom must be thinking that the local loop golden goose is becoming rather vulnerable. The advertising media is now saturated with alternatives to landline broadband and phone service and now that the mobile companies want a share of the pie, Eircom may think they have over cooked the goose a bit with their stalling tactics.

But maybe this is wishful thinking on my part...

Zug

Advertisement