Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throw-ins

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

Lads, we’ve been making very poor use of our throw-ins and it’s a terrible waste of possession. I remember saying before last season that if we gave away one foul throw all season that’s still too many. Last night we gave away 3 foul throws, and that’s even with the ref being VERY lenient on them.

For anyone who may be uncertain – every foul throw given was 100% a foul, and the refs in the league in general have been more than accommodating. I counted at least 10 throws last night that’d be blown up in an LSL game, and I’d say 7 of them were ours.

And then there’s our poor use of the ones that we don’t foul on – floating the ball up in a very high arc is not what we want: it gives the defender more time to read it and all he has to do is get a touch on it to knock it anywhere away. The ball should be thrown with pace either to head looking for a flick on or to feet – throwing it between knees and chest just means our man has to spend more time taking it down, giving the edge to the opposition.

Full-backs should really be taking the throws, looking mainly for the wingers up the line, and using the central midfielders and strikers as needed, but never throw it directly across the pitch unless the man is in at least 10 yards space on ALL sides. We defo need to improve our movement in giving the thrower targets, but it should be the thrower calling the shots telling people where he wants them and giving them info while its in the air – “e.g. Larry get down the line for me....take it in.....man on now”.

This is one of the most basic skills in the game yet we’re nowhere near good enough at it. With a relatively small effort each player can learn to throw the ball legally and effectively, and the result will be more possession for us and better quality possession.

We’ll try get time to cover it when we next meetup, but I’d ask that every player looks on the web for demos on how to throw it legally, and spend 15 minutes practicing it (even if you just do it by getting to our next match early), cos that small effort will yield a big improvement.

Here’s a video and a site I found by a very quick web search:

http://www.primary-french.net/CRFC/throw_in.htm

http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~dgraham/manual/Pages/Basics/throw-ins.html

Advertisement