Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflections

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Can dogs, or any animal for that matter, see their own reflections? I always wondered this. Mine doesn't seem to, maybe he just recognises things by smell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

There not vampires!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't know about that. The wee fella is growling in his sleep just now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well this is purely my own obsevations about my dog....for some reason she seems to have more difficulty seeing through double glazed windows versus single pane windows.

regarding if she can see her reflection she defo see's something and i have had dogs bark at thier own reflection but when she see's herself in a mirror she gets very scared obviously cause she has not got a clue what size she is:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

our dog tries to make friends with his reflection, and if you stand behind him while he's looking in the mirror, and wave, he gets very confused.

reflections are used in self-awareness testing as well. primates are shown themselves in the mirror, with a red dot somewhere on their body, placed there while they were sleeping, so they are unaware of it. if the ape notices the red dot on its reflection, and tries to find where it is located on its own body, this shows that the ape understands that it is seeing itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 K9Kix

Yes dogs can see their own reflections. Our dogs often stop and growl at their own reflections especially in the windows when they can see themselves. Its actually very funny :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

The dobies are used to their reflections by now and take no notice but the collie thinks there is another dog looking up at her when she drinks out of the chrome water dish. she promptly overturns the dish to get rid of the water and scratches the bottom of the tray trying to get at that other dog. The dobies - who love their water are not amused. :rolleyes:

Also she will get right narky with shadows of herself, the other dogs or us on the walls reflected by light at night.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

my dog looks at the piano and tilts her head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

My cat can't seem to see hers and when I showed her a picture of herself and her kittens on my laptop she just tried to chew the top of the screen! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Cats can see their reflections, as evidenced in a video I saw on the internet of a cat taking offence to its reflection

Cats can also see birds on television, Bill Oddie in California, close up of little black, white and red bird hopping on brance = cat assuming the crouch position and looking v. interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

My puppy watches herself in the mirror. She tries to move her head faster than "the other dog" but (obviously) she never manages. It's really cute to watch.

Recently when she sees me in the mirror, she turns round as if to figure out how I can be in two places at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Yeh cats can anyway. I showed my grans cat a mirror and he lunged at it meowing at it. Its actually hilarious to watch.

Advertisement