Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC-ness gone mad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

http://rte.ie/news/2007/0719/roma.html

I wonder how this will play out !
    RTE wrote:
    Yesterday, campaigners for social justice said the Roma people were living in horrific conditions and that they feared an outbreak of disease at the camp.
    Why don't these campaigners take the families into their own homes if they are so ****ing concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Terry wrote:
    Why don't these campaigners take the families into their own homes if they are so ****ing concerned.

I can absofcukinglutely guarantee you two things !

1. In answer to your comment, not a chance.

2. There is no way those kids wouldn't have been taken if the news services hadn't decided to run with this because they have nothing better to report on during the "silly season"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The news / media are just reporting one side of this story...

They have actually been in Ireland quite a long time, they haven't just arrived like its being portrayed...

They are also very well known to the Garda's, ask any garda who works in town, they know them by name... They are not spending their days out by the M50, they are traveling into town..

Why doesn't the media tell the real story, instead of getting Pavee Point on...

Also they've all been offered free flights home, but have rejected this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The goverment has offered to fly them home but they refused. They are not intested in working and are from Romaina which is now an EU country so money money comes from the goverment to them. Charities are giving them food and driving them down to get them showers and the like.

In my mind make them work or send them home like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

In none of the news articles so far, have i read anything about them saying they just want to work and be productive members of society.

There a bunch of free loading scum who need to be forcibly removed and deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

jjbrien wrote:
    The goverment has offered to fly them home but they refused. They are not intested in working and are from Romaina which is now an EU country so money money comes from the goverment to them. Charities are giving them food and driving them down to get them showers and the like.

In my mind make them work or send them home like everyone else.

I keep hearing stuff like 'the government has offered to pay', but what they should be saying is 'The Government had decided to spend your money to look after these people'.

Its not the Governments money, its OUR money, we are the one's putting it in the kitty, how come we don't get a say on how its spent.

Who here actually wants their tax money spent on these people?

Who are the Government trying to please by spending OUR money on people who have not contributed a single cent to our Country?

Almost everyone on this thread is of a similar opinion regarding these people, so why aren't our voices being heard?

We don't want to house people? We want them sent home (or at the very least, we want them to work for a living like everyone else, pay taxes, rent or mortgages, and just make a general contribution to the state.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Flashy things, roses, and balloons is a thriving economy that drives our country forwooord! We're being exploited and for the fear of having a backlash from hacks and liberal cúnts they're been taken care of, better than any other poor people in this country. It really does make me sick that people like this who know what they're doing are having a country go their way. Free housing and welfare so they can then get into the illegal trade of selling goods and exploiting people? Fúck off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Noone ever offered Del Boy food and accommodation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Romanians are restricted from working in Ireland unless they have a work visa or are self-employed, although they do have freedom of movement within the EU.
    I.e. if they don't like it they're free to find some way to sod off back home, they were inventive enough to find a way here afterall. Hopefully we get a nice hard winter this year to drive the moochers elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Delboy05

brilliant...they did'nt even come here from Romania. They arrived here from Fance Spain and Belgium where they've been living the past few years according to both the Gardai and the Romanian embassy. So much for Pavee Point and all the other bleeding hearts who said what they have on the M50 is much better than what they left behind in Romania.
    1 man amongst them recently wired his wife €1,400 thru Western Union.The wife lives with him here, but the roma use the Western Union as a bank - the money sits in the system for up to 2 years....wonder where that cash came from.
    Fúck them out of the country...and throw in all the other Roma with them that are here for the past few years including those that sought asylum or got in through the Irish born baby loophole.

Would love to see a study of those that managed to stay here in the past 10 years....how much they contribute v's the cost of social welfare paying for them in terms of childrens allowance, housing, dole etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Where in the name of God are they getting money for this.

Linkage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Fúck them all into a loada trucks and ship them off to a deserted island somewhere in the north atlantic , nice cold weather will sort em out

And after they get here?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

after they get there i'm sure the irish celtic kittens will move on to another minority to bash when their comfort gets challenged... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

stakey wrote:
    after they get there i'm sure the irish celtic kittens will move on to another minority to bash when their comfort gets challenged... ;)

Yep. Us tax paying Irish are a horrible bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

Terry wrote:
    Worked with a traveller a few years back.
    He was on the job at 5am and worked until 7pm every day.

Jaysus thats a rarity, He should be stuffed to show to future generations alongside the other extinct stuff. Do-Do's, yeti, spotted Yak etc

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

TheGooner wrote:
    Where in the name of God are they getting money for this.

Linkage

it makes me feel so warm and fuzzy that my tax euros are being spent on these people getting free legal aid to stay here, and continue to contribuate nothing to the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

LOL :D

Im sure he did that Terry, but the fact remains that in the hundreds Ive worked with I havent met one. Considering they are just under 1% of the total population, and a slightly higher percentage of the majority of the group ive worked with, still have to say Ive known of at least 5 roma (smaller population group) working.

60 odd Roma, free flight back (300 min per person id imagine), the 18 grand can be better spent imo, let Pavee Point pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Anyone else notice the jump in the amount to Roma's on the M50??? First couple of article state 52 now they are saying 80 odd. Do you think that there is other Roma's jumping on the bandwagon???

Not only did the Government offer them free flights back but they have been promised social assistance in their own country and they are still refusing to move. Clever f*ckers! This is not the first county that they have done this in and we certainly wont be the last

Bollix, what a sh1te summer tan wise. I couldve got tanned, headed to the mun, did the Borat accent, got flown to Bulgaria for free and pay a tenner from there for a bus to the Bulgarian resorts everyones suddenly heading for :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fúck them all into a loada trucks and ship them off to a deserted island somewhere in the north atlantic , nice cold weather will sort em out

Like Rockall.
    Sure we have a claim on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwaucwmhey/
    Source wrote:
    The Romanian Ambassador to Ireland is accusing members of the Roma family living on a motorway roundabout in Dublin of misleading the Irish public.

Silvia Stancu Davidou is quoted in this morning's newspapers denying claims by the family that they lived in worse conditions at rubbish dumps in Romania.

She says the Romanian government has found out that many of those in the camp on the M50 roundabout in Ballymun had permanent addresses in Romania and received social welfare benefits at home.

Ms Davidou claims the Roma Support Group and the traveller focus group Pavee Point are spearheading a misleading campaign which embraces stereotypes about discrimination against the Roma community.

The families have denied the ambassador's claims, while the Pavee Point Roma Support Group said they did not think the ambassador's claims were credible.

I can't find the latest news, but it appears that all but 15 will be deported tomorrow (according to tv3 news).
    Pavee point spokeswoman said that the 15 staying to fight against the deportation order are the ones who have been here the longest.

They were taken away in buses early this morning, including the ones who arrived yesterday. Seems there were over 100.

Also on the front page of breakingnews.ie:
    http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwaucweymh/ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Terry wrote:
    The Romanian Ambassador to Ireland is accusing members of the Roma family living on a motorway roundabout in Dublin of misleading the Irish public.

Silvia Stancu Davidou is quoted in this morning's newspapers denying claims by the family that they lived in worse conditions at rubbish dumps in Romania.

She says the Romanian government has found out that many of those in the camp on the M50 roundabout in Ballymun had permanent addresses in Romania and received social welfare benefits at home.

Ms Davidou claims the Roma Support Group and the traveller focus group Pavee Point are spearheading a misleading campaign which embraces stereotypes about discrimination against the Roma community.

The families have denied the ambassador's claims, while the Pavee Point Roma Support Group said they did not think the ambassador's claims were credible.

thats just crazy. I love how even though the Romanian govt themselves are telling us 'they're basically trying to scam your country', the tree huggers in pavee point wont believe it for a second and are firm in thier resolve to get these parasites a free house or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Love2love wrote:
    Anyone else notice the jump in the amount to Roma's on the M50??? First couple of article state 52 now they are saying 80 odd. Do you think that there is other Roma's jumping on the bandwagon???

Apparently another 21 joined the party last night (From Today's Independent):

ANOTHER 21 Roma have flown in to the country to take up residence alongside 86 fellow gypsies who have already set up camp beside a motorway.

Last night the latest arrivals were settling into their new surroundings at the Ballymun exit from the M50 motorway, as the Romanian ambassador launched a hard-hitting attack on Irish support groups.

The Irish Independent learned last night that the 21 extra gypsies flew in to Dublin on a flight from Bucharest on Saturday night.

The latest arrivals carried tents in their luggage and hailed a fleet of taxis to take them directly from the airport to the three makeshift camps occupied by the others for the past couple of months.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/extra-21-roma-gypsies-jet-in-to-join-m50-campers-1043107.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well according to this article 21 more have jetted in to join them.

From a public safety point of view the Gardai should have been deployed and the roundabout cleared. All this fannying around will create similar situations elsewhere. It needs to be nipped in the bud.

gandalf wrote:
    Well according to this article 21 more have jetted in to join them.

From a public safety point of view the Gardai should have been deployed and the roundabout cleared. All this fannying around will create similar situations elsewhere. It needs to be nipped in the bud.
    According to the Pavee point bint, those who arrived earlier are also being sent home.

This is gold:
    “We have been dealing with them since early May. A lot of the ones that have left only came here last Thursday and they hadn’t realised that the situation had changed.
    Yeah, they thought they would get a free ride too.
    http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwaucwojql/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

"Romanian Ambassador Silvia Davidoiu said many of the people camped on the roundabout were not homeless in Romania, adding that some even have permanent addresses in blocks of flats. Pavee Point said the Ambassador’s claims were not credible."

So the Romanian ambassador doesnt know what she's talking about and Pavee Point,an organisiation set up for IRISH travellers does?Its quite unbelievable the stupidity of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Degsy wrote:
    "Romanian Ambassador Silvia Davidoiu said many of the people camped on the roundabout were not homeless in Romania, adding that some even have permanent addresses in blocks of flats. Pavee Point said the Ambassador’s claims were not credible."

So the Romanian ambassador doesnt know what she's talking about and Pavee Point,an organisiation set up for IRISH travellers does?Its quite unbelievable the stupidity of these people.

Agreed, but I suppose that do-gooders will be do-gooders though!

Degsy wrote:

Indeed ! When the muppet from Payvee Pint was quoted the ambassadors words on the wireless today his response was "Well I don't know about what's going on in Romania" (not a direct quote but that was basically it). Hello Di*khead, you were banging on about their conditions being worse back home and now you can't comment on the situation in Romania ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/

Search for Sarah Russell, 4th interview down.........GTFO!!! Get back home, first plane in the morning and never come back.......GTFO!!!

Free air fair home..........GTFO!!!

Then when you've watched that video look for "Woman sentenced for attempted theft" in the right hand side of that window.........GTFO.......6 previous theft charges.......GTFO and never come back. Cheaper to send her home then to put her in prison!!!!

• Advertisement

"We haven't had time to investigate the circumstances"

Then kindly STFU and leave those who have do their jobs. Would be no harm if they deported her as well.

I liked Robson's take down of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yeah she should be on that plane as well!!!

Stark wrote:
    I liked Robson's take down of her.
    Got a link. I'd like to see it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0724/6news_av.html?2272660,null,230

PS: I meant to say Dobson, not Robson. You won't see any sliding tackles I'm afraid :)

Yeah, I had a feeling about that.
    Thanks.

Degsy wrote:

Indeed. And exactly what incentive would the Romanian government have to lie? They could deny knowledge, say that alot of their births arent registered and they dont have permanent addresses, hope to prolong the situation for a few years in order to be rid of this crowd from their own backyard. Instead they co operated and actively encouraged the Irish gov to send them packing.

Personally if I were the ambassador Id deny they were even Romanian, "we`re not takin those lot back" type attitude :)

When things started looking down for them Im surprised Pavee Point didnt advise them to head for England. After all their own interest group has taken over large areas of villages around London with relatively little government interference (on one documentary a few months ago it showed them preparing for said threatened interference- mounting gas canister traps around the enterences to the site) Im sure they breathed a collective sigh of relief when Howard didnt get in voted in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Sing it with me one time!

Na na na na!
    NA NA NA NA!
    WAY HEY HEY!!
    GOODBYE!!

Dont let the door hit your collective gypo arses on the way out now.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Indeed. And exactly what incentive would the Romanian government have to lie? They could deny knowledge, say that alot of their births arent registered and they dont have permanent addresses, hope to prolong the situation for a few years in order to be rid of this crowd from their own backyard. Instead they co operated and actively encouraged the Irish gov to send them packing.

Personally if I were the ambassador Id deny they were even Romanian, "we`re not takin those lot back" type attitude :)

When things started looking down for them Im surprised Pavee Point didnt advise them to head for England. After all their own interest group has taken over large areas of villages around London with relatively little government interference (on one documentary a few months ago it showed them preparing for said threatened interference- mounting gas canister traps around the enterences to the site) Im sure they breathed a collective sigh of relief when Howard didnt get in voted in.

Here's a bit of footage of the chaos that ensued when they finally evicted them.http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=PJYze2FQzr4 The Irish travellers not the romas..

Brian Lenihan can be congratulated at this address

http://www.brianlenihan.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Episode is nearly over so maybe time for a summary

Goverment: Spending thousands of our money on chartering a plane, garda overtime and the future cleanup operation,

Gypises: Spent months in the worst summer in years and achieved nothing for their trouble bar whoever they got from the do-gooders.

Pavee Point: Did themselves no credit by defending the indefendable.Who will listen to them ever again.

I think the only person to come out without losing anything is the Romanian Ambassador.

Everyone else loses :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Sarah Russell from Pavee Point didn't seem to be enjoying that interview. Nothing like difficult questions to put a downer on your not so righteous crusade.

Indeed ! Pass point didn't do themselves any favours at all ! Nice to see the moral minority getting their halos clipped for a change !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Listening now to Sara Russell and would love to give her a kick in the head!

Some amount of shít coming out of her. If she's so concerned why not put them up temporarily herself?

micmclo wrote:
    Pavee Point: Did themselves no credit by defending the indefendable.Who will listen to them ever again.

(

Hopefully nobody, which would be good news for county councils, taxpayers, rural publicans, rural farmers and others who have had to put up with their crap over god knows how many issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JimboJimboJay

I would like to make a number of points and welcome and lookforward to any and all responses to my opinions both good and bad.

If I as an Irish man was to go ahead and take any kids i had(None yet but...) and go set up camp on the ballymun roundabout. Pavee Point and the HSE and the like would not call it a "Humanitarian Crisis" they would call it child endangerment and negligence. They would call my existance on a roundabout belonging to the goverment / NRA as tresspass. They would call the conditions I live in squalid and they would arrest and charge me with the first three and throw me to the wolves in relation to all these points. So Political Correctess is this. These people under EU regulations cannot be refugee's. Under an accepted rule of law they cannot work here and canot live here for more than three months. So when I say deport them I am not being racist I am upholding the law of the land. When I say arrest and charge them I am not being racist I am concerned for their children.

TRAVELLERS PAVEE POINT. The name of this charitable organisation distinguishes its reason for existing and sourcing funding from the irish people. The charity has been established as a protection for the Travelling Community of Ireland. A by and Large wonderful colourful nomadic people born in this country and in need of certain assistances that although they could avert their difficulty by settling they would be abandoning their heritage and culture. Throughout history man has sacrificed for his culture and rightly so. Pavee Point in my opinion by spending money on these illegal immigrants and grabbing the spotlight are guilty of the mis-appropriation of funding from the irish people and as a result should not be allowed to continue to fundraise untill they have left this furore and allowed the legal avenues laid out in this country to run their course. I am sorry if you dont agree with the law on this point but at the end of the day if you dont agree with the drink driving law you are still governed by it and will be punished under its statutes for violations. These people are violating european and irish law. They are depriving their children to the right to a save and happy environment in furtherance of their own persuits. They are violating Irish immigration law.

A quick edit to this Post. I have checked with the National Consumer Agency and they are unable to clarify the rules governing monies donated for cause X being used for a cause other than the cause advertised. Will post further when answer is recieved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Best post so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I would like to make a number of points and welcome and lookforward to any and all responses to my opinions both good and bad.

If I as an Irish man was to go ahead and take any kids i had(None yet but...) and go set up camp on the ballymun roundabout. Pavee Point and the HSE and the like would not call it a "Humanitarian Crisis" they would call it child endangerment and negligence. They would call my existence on a roundabout belonging to the government / NRA as trespass. They would call the conditions I live in squalid and they would arrest and charge me with the first three and throw me to the wolves in relation to all these points. So Political Correctness is this. These people under EU regulations cannot be refugee's. Under an accepted rule of law they cannot work here and cannot live here for more than three months. So when I say deport them I am not being racist I am upholding the law of the land. When I say arrest and charge them I am not being racist I am concerned for their children.

TRAVELLERS PAVEE POINT. The name of this charitable organisation distinguishes its reason for existing and sourcing funding from the Irish people. The charity has been established as a protection for the Travelling Community of Ireland. A by and Large wonderful colourful nomadic people born in this country and in need of certain assistance's that although they could avert their difficulty by settling they would be abandoning their heritage and culture. Throughout history man has sacrificed for his culture and rightly so. Pavee Point in my opinion by spending money on these illegal immigrants and grabbing the spotlight are guilty of the mis-appropriation of funding from the irish people and as a result should not be allowed to continue to fundraise untill they have left this furore and allowed the legal avenues laid out in this country to run their course. I am sorry if you dont agree with the law on this point but at the end of the day if you dont agree with the drink driving law you are still governed by it and will be punished under its statutes for violations. These people are violating European and irish law. They are depriving their children to the right to a save and happy environment in furtherance of their own pursuits. They are violating Irish immigration law.

Thanks for pretty much summing up what I was 'trying' to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Stark wrote:

Just watched this now. Sarah Russell reminds me of Comical Ali in the way that she has her eyes and ears closed to reality. She said she didn't have time to verify the stories of the roundabout squatters but she still thinks she knows more about them than the Romanian ambassador. What a joke.

Did they actully fly out today or are they still here?

I see SF has been helping them with materials

Fresh from rte
    A spokesperson for Traveller support group Pavee Point has confirmed that all the remaining members of the extended Rostas family have left their camps at the M50 intersection at Ballymun.

Sara Russell of Pavee Point's Roma Support Group said the 35 adults and children had left voluntarily and had been transferred by gardaí to the Balseskin reception centre in north Dublin.

It is expected that they will leave the country, along with the other members of the extended family who left the roundabout yesterday, on a flight to Romania this evening.
    Advertisement

Ms Russell said officials from Pavee Point and Crosscare had witnessed the departure and said it was voluntary and had been conducted in a very professional manner by gardaí.

A garda spokesperson confirmed that the Roma's decision had followed dialogue with gardaí in recent days, and today's operation had been conducted by officers from Santry and the Garda National Immigration Bureau.

Ms Russell said the Roma had taken the decision as they felt their deportation was inevitable.

She said she did not know what would happen to a number of High Court cases being taken by members of the family.

Meanwhile, one of those cases, which was listed for mention in the High Court this afternoon, was put back until next Friday

• Advertisement
Advertisement