Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting My House

Options
  • 18-07-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I've started to think about painting my house for only the second time. The first time I painted everything white because I just wanted to get rid of the the previous owner's colour schemes. And as I was broke I bought cheap Woodies white paint.

Now I'm going to try a bit of colour and use a bit more expensive paint.

Is expensive paint actually better? Does anyone know the difference between all the brands? Which ones are best? Which ones have the best range of colours? etc

All advice greatly appreciated!

What paint would you recommend? 8 votes

Valspar
    0% 0 votes
    Crown
    0% 0 votes
    Dulux
    25% 2 votes
    Farrow and Ball
    50% 4 votes
    Sanderson
    12% 1 vote
    DIY Store Own Brand
    12% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Another thread on this from a while back:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036178

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have recently repainted my whole house ad used both expensive paint the stores own brands and to be honest, i cant see any difference except for price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I wouldn't use cheap paint. I got stung once and it took a crazy amount of paint to do a small room. I wouldn't necessarily go for the most expensive but I would talk to the guy/girl in the paint shop for their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I bought a tin of Woodies Paint and it did a great job. One coat actually ment one coat.

But for painting a full house I wouldn't recommend buying in Woodies because of cost so go with Fleetwood................ie....... the people who make Woodies Paint

Also my dad had a Painter in to do all inside of his house and he would only use Fleetwood (high opacity) Trade paint.

I personally did the whole house in the same way with Magnolia. Took two coats of Crown (10 litre Bucket) paint that was on offer to make any impression on the original owners colour scheme

The Crown Indulgence paints are good in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Careful of that own brand paint. I used it outside a few years back and it was all peeling off after 18 months.
    The problem then was I couldn't get it off or paint over it because it was all flaking. It took me a week to sort it out scraping and using a wire brush!

Only the best from now on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement