Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants

Options
  • 18-07-2007 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Cheap & cheerful-
    Posh Nosh-
    Something different-

Opinions greatly appreciated. Bringing people out for Race Week & want to know what ye think of places & why. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cheap & cheerful-
    Posh Nosh-
    Something different-

Opinions greatly appreciated. Bringing people out for Race Week & want to know what ye think of places & why. Thanks

Cheap & cheerful
    :
    Da Robertas - Salthill, great little Italian. Essential to book as its so popular.
    Al Muretto - Forster Court. Very good Italian.
    Fat Freddys - Quay St., also Italian (anyone spot a theme?). Definition of cheap & cheerful.

Posh Nosh:
    Oscars - Dominick St. Without doubt (IMO of course) the best restaurant in Galway. Great food and even better service. Pricey but worth it. Essential to book in advance
    Malt House - off Shop St. Very good food, nice atmosphere, very central

Haven't eaten anywhere that could be described as "something different"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Posh Nosh:
    Malt House - off Shop St. Very good food, nice atmosphere, very central

Save yourself a few euro and just go to the kings head next door,very similar menu,same kitchen,there is a difference of 5 euro on some dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cheap & cheerful- La Salsa
    Posh Nosh-Kirwans
    Something different-Ard Bia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

padi89 wrote:
    Save yourself a few euro and just go to the kings head next door,very similar menu,same kitchen,there is a difference of 5 euro on some dishes.

Same kitchen? Really?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cheap and cheerful - The Charcoal Grill (Cross St.). Sit-down kebabs and burgers.
    Posh Nosh - KC Blakes (Quay St.). Nice varied menu, great location and service.
    Something different - Da Tang noodle house (Middle St.). Fantastic Asian cuisine at a good price and one of the Bridgestone best 100 restaurants in Ireland. Try the hot pot!

• Advertisement

Same kitchen? Really?? :confused:

Yup.All the hot meals anyway,one of the chefs let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Latest addition to our restaurant rotation: That Italian place (forgot the name) in Bridge Mills. Nice, simple selection, home-made food, AND it's rather cheap (we're talking 50 Euros for two, including wine, one starter, two main courses and one dessert). They have really nice bruschetta, and the best home-made ice cream ever!!!!

Abalone on Dominic Street is really nice too (posh). Or Vina Mara in "the street that is the backroad to the King's Head (seriously, street names are a problem for me...;-))

Also, MC Swiggans (used to) do good food. Deteriorated a little recently, I found, but nonetheless it's still nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Something different-

Nimo's @ The Spanish Arch, Great food and brilliant staff, kinda cramped but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Abalone on Dominic St. Da Tang on Middle St. Mustard on Middle St.

Not sure about Nimmos; haven't been in it since Ard Bia took it over (not an Ard Bia fan, as last time I was there I was treated like a leper for looking for a non-alcoholic drink).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

The only restaurant I've experienced really is Martine's Quay St. Wine Bar and Restaurant (there has got to be a better way to say that, I'm probably pointing myself out as a newbie by calling it that). Anway, its I guess mid range prices. Great menu, just normal steak and chicken and sea food etc and everything is DELICIOUS. I've been there with work a few times and took my friends there last weekend and they loved it. Very cozy, great service, and amazing food.

• Advertisement

If we move it outside of the city - Padraicins
    I never had a bad meal there but they stopped serving Chicken Kiev :( Come back chicken!

biko wrote:
    If we move it outside of the city - Padraicins
    I never had a bad meal there but they stopped serving Chicken Kiev :( Come back chicken!

Dont think its so great lately Biko,was out a couple of times this summer and i wasnt too impressed.They just lash out a mountain of chips and salad with most courses on the lunch menu and give little of what you have actually ordered.

Donnellys of Barna is my top pick,great food,location,service,atmosphere,bar its no wonder its won so many awards.

Padraicins hasn't been the same since it was taken over a few years ago. And I really hope that Donnellys has gotten back to deserving the reputation it had since I was there last.

Martines is good, as is Kirbys on Cross St (part of busker Brownes). Outside of town I'd recommend the Pier Head in Kinvara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Bol Uisce in Spiddal is unreal for seafood.
    Also the Indian in Moycullen (reasonable), White Gables in Moycullen (top notch in my opinion).

Cheap food-Chinese opposite Buskers is very reasonable.
    Love Lemongrass(wasn't aware name had changed though!)
    Heard Abalone is great too so going next week.
    Best pizza-Monroe's!
    Best big reasonable sandwich has to be O' Connor's Bakery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 triblex

my friend is looking for job like waitress or something. does anyone have fresh info or sparks?:rolleyes: pls give a holler :D thanks a bunch

The New Lemongrass...Tamarind...review in Advertiser, very very good review, worth a visit me thinks!http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=7734
    tamarind.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Cheap food-Chinese opposite Buskers is very reasonable.

We've closed down now

Neo; why did ye close down? I work across the road from ye, and was wondering what happened. Sorry to see ye gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Posh Nosh: The old school house around oranmore is great.

When did the Chinese close down?! Damn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

BRING BACK KAM CHINS!!!

Dammit!

Neo, any plans to reopen?
    Kudos for the good food while ye were in existance, miles ahead of any other chinese at the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 triblex

is Kim Chin too busy on other businesses to care the inn or what? i don't think it was anything to do with financial bog.
    datang noddle is supposed to be good too. never checked it out meself though

You're all making me hungry!

Fey! wrote:
    Mustard on Middle St.

Whats this place like?? Is it just the same as what Scottys was???

Mustard is great! Get the chirizo burger and skinny fries, yum!
    Ask how many varieties of mustard they have.
    One

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 VinceV

Cactus jacks - something different - tastes great! Loads of restaurants by Spanish Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

The parents have moved onto other stuff, etc, etc. I'll miss being able to walk in and say "...feed me" :(

So will we all! Damn that!

Neo - hope that the other stuff works out for them; they were always really nice to deal with. I hope that the other stuff is easier than the restaurant business, too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Cooke's Restaurant and Wine Bar and Al Muretto's never fail to please.

Advertisement