Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

pah, everybody knows that curry chese chips from the kebab house is where it's at!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

You could try the Park House Hotel on Foster St. You'd prob want to book places for race week just to be sure of getting in. Especially all de decent spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

JIZZLORD wrote:
    pah, everybody knows that curry chese chips from the kebab house is where it's at!

Tell me about it, my gf is addicted to them! I like those large battered sausages myself*

*There was no way I could think of to make that sound not dirty :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I've got Glenlo, Donnelly's & The White Gables booked for different groups. So far so good on the booking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

VinceV wrote:
    Cactus jacks - something different - tastes great.

Worst resturant in Galway IMO - terrible food (my steak was served Cold and Blue ?, service (cold/blue steak arrived 10 min after everyone else had finished their mains) and staff were complete Wasters.

Also avoid it on Friday nights and Saturdays as it is normally frequented by hen parties (The chunky type ..shudder ...shudder) :D

Oscars,Malt House, Nimos and Thai Garden are nice..

Thai Garden deserves a special menton as it's dirt cheap and food is fantastic.
    I don't really rate the lemongrass either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭FastMachine

I agree with muppetkiller, Cactus Jacks is complete sh1te. What's the deal with taking so long to cook the steaks, its a fooking steak not a Xmas Turkey. On another occasion there I had the blandest (not the worst, just the blandest) food I've ever tasted.

But even worse imo is Cookes on Abbeygate St. It should be called Retarded Cookes. Only there once (and it was empty, I wonder why) but never again.

Best by a long shot is Thai Garden, best food Ive had in Galway. Also got a soft spot for Milano's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Another thumbs down for Cactus Jacks here.
    We went there one night about 18 months ago and from the moment we went in, we felt we were an inconvenience and not a customer! And get this, when we'd just about finished our mains, a waitress quickly cleared our table and the dessert menu was definitely not on offer! Turned out, our table was needed (double-booked?) by the next saps due in the revolving door. Needless to say I didn't go back since. Avoid!

Thumbs up from me for Oscars (really top notch), KC Blakes, Milanos (great service despite its almost "fast-food" approach and great desserts), Fat Freddys and Thai Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I had a nice big piece written out but it was terribly long, so instead:

Italian: Go to the one on Key Street, or to Da Robertas in Salthill, or out west, go to Mulberrys in Barna, 'tis lovely but quite expensive.
    Chinese: My favourite is the one in Spiddal, but in Galway City I suppose the one on Shop Street is decent.
    Indian: Can't remember the name of it but its directly across from the Thai Gardens at the Spanish Arch.
    Mexican: Cactus Jacks, food is great, service is a bit meh; Fat Freddys do lovely enchiladas and quesadillas iirc.
    Turkish: Hands-down its got to be The Charcoal Grill near Cross Street.
    Thai: Theres a new place in Salthill (can't remember the name) its right beside Crcma. You wait a helluva long time for the food, but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Thai Garden is excellent.

We had a group of 30 in the White Gables on Sunday, and it was fantastic.

Chinese on Shop St is gone, but they're in Oranmore and Claregalway now (Royal Villa).

Milano is way overrated; expensive and unfilling. If you want a sit-down pizza, then Fat Freddys. For take-home, Monroes.

KC Blakes has good food, but I find the owner to be very full of himself, and very unfriendly. However, his daughter in law is there all the time, and she is very nice.

Thai in Salthill is, I think, Morellas, who also have a place at the cinema in Oranmore. Haven't been there, but have heard very good things.

I haven't been in Park House in years, but I've heard a lot of customers raving about it. A definite must try by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

In my 27 years in Galway, I've eaten out quite a lot. Myself and my girlfriend usually go out for a meal at least once every two weeks.

My recommendations are...

Bethlehem in Ballybrit (not far from the racecourse). They are Italian, and their food is excellent. The food is no more than a tenner for a plate. Their pizza is unreal (and I've had pizza in many countries and some of the best spots in Brooklyn), and a 12" is only €8-9 with toppings. If you are hungry and have bugger all dosh, this the place to go. You need a car though as it's near enough some rough hoods.

Finnegans on Market St. (near the corner of Abbygate St). I recommend their "All day breakfast", for €7.50 if I recall, you would want to be hungry to get through all the stuff they give you. Largest fry ever!!! (for the price). They also do a fantastic club sandwich.

Going up the scale a bit (Indian), try Kumars on Flood St. Again I have eaten in every Indian in Galway, and many more further afield etc, and Kumars is still my favourite. For some reason in Galway when you mention the word Indian, people think they are doing you a favour by mentioning Tulsi or Eastern Tandori (those places, especially Tulsi, are going downhill, nothing special at all). Kumars is a max of €15-16 per main course.

For something different, I would probably have to agree with some other posters when they say Da Tang Noodle House on Middle St.

As for something fancy, I don't believe there are any fancy restaurants in Galway. Fancy and Pretentious tend to go hand in hand in this neck of the woods. I've dined in some of the fanciest restaurants in the upper east side in New York, and it's hilarious when you see some restaurants back here in Ireland serving crap with little understanding of dining etiquette and acting like it's their privilege to be serving you because the locals have put them on a pedestal. Priceless. Some "fancy" restaurants are OK, but they are shooting themselves in the foot when it comes how up their own arse they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

I'm in love with the Home Plate (dunno the name of the street, beside Mixers, across from Sally Longs's). You get a huge feed for under a tenner, I've never finished a meal in there! Great burgers, and there own special homemade chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

mmmm, the home plate. i too have never finished stuff from there, ****ing amazing chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

A few places there I had never heard of, and a few I had forgotten!

Finnegans on Market St is the same as Riordans on Quay St, formerly of The Left Bank on Dominic St and the Lisheen Restaurant on Bridge St.

Haven't been in the Home Plate in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Thai: Theres a new place in Salthill (can't remember the name) its right beside Crcma. You wait a helluva long time for the food, but it's worth it.

Second that, went there a few weeks ago with herself and found it fantastic. It is also very reasonably priced imo. Cant remember the name either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Second that, went there a few weeks ago with herself and found it fantastic. It is also very reasonably priced imo. Cant remember the name either!
    Pantai as far as i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭colettew

Morgans on Forster st do really good bar food - decent portions & good value too.
    Oscars on dominick st for evening meal- fab presentation of food - have to book in advance.

Advertisement