Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance

Options
  • 18-07-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this is in right forum, Mods please move if needed and sorry in advace. :o

First time provisional driver here. Was planning on getting new car insured on mother, and me as a named driver, Quinn Direct told me your better off going for just yourself as insured, it's more expensive but if you just go named your not entitled to a proper no claims bonus.

Can anyone who has been in a similar situation where making this decision shed some light on what my best option is? ie. cheapest insurance if I wanted to go under my own name, and if I can go named driver on my mother's policy and still be entitled to no claims discount without it costing more that my own name policy. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you are the main driver, you are obliged to disclose it.

Failing to do so, and driving as a named driver may invalidate your cover.

Apply for your test now, and do something like the Hib. Ignition course.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

If you insure the car under your mother name and yourself as the named driver, the insurance company will rate you as the main driver anyway. So you would be paying pretty much the same price for either option.

If it is a case that your mother has a car at the moment and is going to replace that car with the car you are getting, then any bonus she has built up will be kept and you will be rated as a named driver only and the price would be cheaper.

if it is a case that your mother is only a named driver herself or has a car already and is keeping that one, then you are better off getting the quote in your name.

You still earn a type of bonus as a named driver, but it is not as good as a EARNED bonus.

All companies have recently cut rates on young male drivers - while the cost will still be high, and i would recomend a engine size of no more than 1.4, the rates are down about 30% on last year.

call all the direct companies and get quotes from them all - axa, hib, allainz, quinn and fbd. you will get a diff in prices that could be up to €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Well you can work it out to see what is better money wise if you want,

find out how much is your insurance this year both ways

how much will it be next year if you have 1 years no claims bonus and none.

Then look at the two differences in prices.

Then take into account that in your third year if you have 2 years no claims bonus it will be cheaper again. Another thing to consider though touch wood it wont be a problem is if you make a claim and its in your mothers name she will lose her no claims bonus, though you wont..

If i were you id get it in your own name, the no claims bonus take a fair bit off your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

The named driver discount is fairly decent with Quinn, I was named when I started out and the saving by going on my mother's account far outweighed the difference between named driver experience and earned no claims bonus. I saved a couple of grand overall. The named experience seems to be quite close to the normal no claims, but only applies when you take out your first policy in your own name. Once you've been driving on your own policy all you have is that experience instead...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

irishash wrote:
    If you insure the car under your mother name and yourself as the named driver, the insurance company will rate you as the main driver anyway. So you would be paying pretty much the same price for either option....

Perhaps, but failure to disclose can still invalidate cover.

Or is it that irish insurance co's simply assume all named rivers are lying? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joeymountmellic

Grumpy,

Call AXA, they gave my 19 year old brother a quote of 1100 on a 1.6 carina with my mum as a named driver.

Having her as the named brought it down significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Grumpy,

Call AXA, they gave my 19 year old brother a quote of 1100 on a 1.6 carina with my mum as a named driver.

Having her as the named brought it down significantly.

Did I read that right, Its in his name, and his mam is just named? sounds good, will buzz them tomorrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Perhaps, but failure to disclose can still invalidate cover.

Or is it that irish insurance co's simply assume all named rivers are lying? ;)

well if the car is registered in the mums name (and rem, for insurance, the car must be in the name of the policy-holder) and she insures it, then non-disclosure is not an issue. A lot of people get very worried over non-disclosure and there is one simple way to get around it - tell the insurance company everything you think is relavent, whether or not they ask for all that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Dunno if this is in right forum, Mods please move if needed and sorry in advace. :o

First time provisional driver here. Was planning on getting new car insured on mother, and me as a named driver, Quinn Direct told me your better off going for just yourself as insured, it's more expensive but if you just go named your not entitled to a proper no claims bonus.

Can anyone who has been in a similar situation where making this decision shed some light on what my best option is? ie. cheapest insurance if I wanted to go under my own name, and if I can go named driver on my mother's policy and still be entitled to no claims discount without it costing more that my own name policy. Thanks.

What they mean bt a "proper" no claims bonus is generally if your a named driver with a provisional licence, majority of companies will not give a bonus for named driving cause you are on a prov licence. If you are named on a policy with a full licence, you will generally get year for year bonus.
    Take the plunge & pay the higher price for your own insurance, apply for your test immediatly to reduce your insurance. Ask Quinn if you was your test mid-year will they give you a refund straight away or next renewal?
    If your confident enough, apply for a cancellation & you could get a test in 4-6 weeks depending where you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hey, after a fair bit of research over the last while, I have made a decision.

Quinn and axa held the most competitive prices.

Went with Quinn as they were €180 cheaper, thats Third party, fire & theft on a 2001 1.0 litre Ibiza with my mam as a named driver.

Thanks for all who contributed to the thread anyway. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement