Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win XP Pro: cmd (command prompt) wont load

• 18-07-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭

Anyone have any ideas?

When i try to run the command prompt from the start menu or START ==> Run 'cmd'

It appears and then quick disappears

very frustrating, I dont want to reinstall xp for that

Not sure why its happening, or what I installed to stop it working, but it used to work..

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Suppose it wouldnt hurt to run it in safe mode. Does telnet, regedit or dxdiag work? Probably something got to do with dos windows being borked or maybe even administrative privilages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Does it run from

start-all programs-accessories.?

Does typing cmd.exe at Run work?

Does typing calc at Run work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

nipplenuts wrote:
    Does it run from

start-all programs-accessories.?

Does typing cmd.exe at Run work?

Does typing calc at Run work?

It runs both ways but then shuts down straight away

I have admin rights

telnet works

regedit does not, same behavour

grrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Try to run Task Manager by Ctrl+Alt+Del or by right clicking on your taskbar and clicking Task Manager. If it will not run either then you probably have a virus/spyware that is killing off any of the tools you may try to use to get rid of it.

Also try to copy cmd.exe from c:\windows\system32 to your desktop and rename it to cmd.com and see if you can run it from there.

You knew someone was gonna say this. Update your av and run a scan. Safe mode.

Then dl hiijackthis and post it up with the [code] tags!Someone here will probably see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

h8red wrote:
    Try to run Task Manager by Ctrl+Alt+Del or by right clicking on your taskbar and clicking Task Manager. If it will not run either then you probably have a virus/spyware that is killing off any of the tools you may try to use to get rid of it.

Also try to copy cmd.exe from c:\windows\system32 to your desktop and rename it to cmd.com and see if you can run it from there.

Well done h8red, thats the prob I believe, Same with Task Manager....

Now the next question, How do I get rid of it?

Its a work machine, so i have McAfee, but that has not seemed to get rid of the prob...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Hmmm. Getting rid of it is the hard part. If you have McAfee on your machine already see if you can update the virus definitions and do a full system scan. I wouldn't be sure how exactly to do this as I'm not at all familiar with McAfee but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Another option would be to run an online virus scan such as Trend Housecall. But these are quite often dfficult to get running. Try McAfee and let us know how you get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Don't waste your time with a Trend Micro or McAfee scan, if the malware has done this much damage then it's something particularly bad.

You need to run HijackThis
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis_sfx.php

Install that and run it, then click "Do a system scan and save a logfile" and post that here, and don't put it in a code box please.

Install that and run it, then click "Do a system scan and save a logfile" and post that here, and don't put it in a code box please.

I thought code box takes up less of the page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

I have the very same problem...it was after I was deleting things from the registry....any solutions greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Did you try running "command" instead of "cmd"?
    Its pretty much the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

I thought code box takes up less of the page?
    I'm sure this is right, but reading a HijackThis log thats in quotes or code is a real strain on the eyes, and is definitely not helpful.

darragh-k don't suppose you made a registry backup before deleting stuff? A HijackThis log might be a good idea for yourself.

Advertisement