Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade an old PC or buy a laptop?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Thanks to some helpful advice on these forums, I am about to buy a gaming laptop.

However, I can also get my hands on a HP Pavillion t770 for free. The spec can be seen at:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/HP_Pavilion_T770_uk_Photosmart_PC__5806048

If I were to plow my cash into upgrading this what could I do to it? I've a budget of €1000 and I want to be able to play the latest games, download music and edit photos.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

This does not make sense. It says it is LGA775 yet it has an AMD processor. It means LGA 754 i suppose.. which is bad news for you my friend as this is the yesteryear socket type. It also use AGP 8x instead of the common PCI-e x16
    So get it and strip it of its ram, graphics card and processor,sell them and keep the drives

Well I don't know what to think... It would probably cheaper to make one yourself than start with this.

I reccomend getting a case that comes with a 400w speakers for 80
    Get this for 340 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312030
    And a midrange graphics card for <€100. Then when directx 10 cards are cheap buy one!
    Keep the hard drive and optical drives and you will have a super rig for €500!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'd be interested in taking the computer off your hands silvine, i'm looking to get a pc for a friend of mine with a visual imparement, she's currently using a win98 machine, and is desperatly in need of an upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It'll be a few weeks before I get my hands on it... I'll get back to you If I'm getting rid of it.

Advertisement