Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another effort to improve mobile bb signal

Options
  • 18-07-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Probably gona get slated with this one but try wrapping some tin foil around usb modem and see if you get even i bar more.

I have both 3 and o2s package with 3 been the very worst but o2 started to go down hill a little in the last few days, down to a 1 bar but after trying many, many ways to improve signal quality tin foil has kept my o2 signal back at a steady 3 bar hsdpa signal. 3 didn't improve, but it didn't loose signal nither. Was always ****e.

This said, i think that o2s signal is more affected and depended on weather conditions than 3. Was down to gprs for all of Sunday night but 3 had a 1 bar hsdpa signal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

are u gonna keep them both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Probably gona get slated with this one but try wrapping some tin foil around usb modem and see if you get even i bar more.

I have both 3 and o2s package with 3 been the very worst but o2 started to go down hill a little in the last few days, down to a 1 bar but after trying many, many ways to improve signal quality tin foil has kept my o2 signal back at a steady 3 bar hsdpa signal. 3 didn't improve, but it didn't loose signal nither. Was always ****e.

This said, i think that o2s signal is more affected and depended on weather conditions than 3. Was down to gprs for all of Sunday night but 3 had a 1 bar hsdpa signal.

Just out of interest, how far outside the 3G coverage area are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Or you could get a satellite dish and a usb extension cable , turn the dish upside down so the arm is at the top and point it in the right direction. There might be problems with a) it working at all b) not working because the tower goes " you're too far away"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the usb modem is not waterproof is it :D ??

I take it you mean to put the usb modem where the LNB normally goes .

I would clip it under my soffit board first .

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

delllat wrote:
    are u gonna keep them both?

At the moment im quiet happy with o2. Can't see the point in keeping 3s service as i have a 4 bar hsdpa signal and after many long and expensive calls to 3 been told theres not much they can do. Google.ie can take a minute at times to load. I'm six weeks into my contract but as i said its not working.

• Advertisement

lukin wrote:
    Just out of interest, how far outside the 3G coverage area are you?

I'm not outside the coverage area at all. 3 and o2 are within 5mls of where i am.

bushy... wrote:
    Or you could get a satellite dish and a usb extension cable , turn the dish upside down so the arm is at the top and point it in the right direction. There might be problems with a) it working at all b) not working because the tower goes " you're too far away"

:confused: Who said i was "too far away" ? 5mls from both cells is not "too far away" is it?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Sponge Bob wrote:
    the usb modem is not waterproof is it :D ??

I take it you mean to put the usb modem where the LNB normally goes .

I would clip it under my soffit board first .

:) Forgot we don't have the sun anymore , instead put the dish the normal way up ( it will have to be pointed way down though that way up ) , put the usb lad where the LNB goes and pull a small ziplock bag or something over it

Much the same worked for these lads though http://www.mipland.net/ext_rep_img/304km_link.jpg ( not 3g)

Signal not an issue
    o2 signal.JPG

Advertisement