Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

temperature changing kettle?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 1:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As we all know, just boiled water on coffee of any description is a bad idea... it's also not very practical if you want to make yourself a quick cup.

I'm sure something like this has been invented, and I'm sure someone here knows of it... so is there such a thing as a kettle with a changeable "top" temperature? So I could set my kettle to 80oC or whatever and not have to hover over it, time it by watch or keep touching it during the boil until it kind of hurts but doesn't scald my hand?

I'm pretty sure it'd be simple enough to create...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I can tell from the sound of my kettle when it's nearly boiled.

Don't know where you'd get what your looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

You're not the first person to think of this

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Non-boiling_20kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You could do a DIY job, and wire a thermostat into your kettle.
    Scroll down to the bottom of this page to the electronic temp controller.

Not the cheapest, but you could dig around for a cheaper alternative.
    The wiring would be simple, and you just dial in the temperature you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Thermostat would work, you can get digital ones that work on plugs. i.e. you plug it into the wall, then it is like an adaptor, you plug your kettle in and switch on, when at temp the thermostat switch turns off, so the kettle is knocked off, i.e. you could have a radio plugged in and it would go off.

Otherwise you can always calculate it, or do it empirically. e.g. empty the kettle, add in 1pint of water, now boil it up, dump in maybe a shot glass of tap water and measure the temp. add more or less until it is the temp you want. Then in future it should be around the same.
    e.g. add 1 pint, boil and add 2 shots of water to get to 94C

Advertisement