Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Important Players

• 18-07-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hey.
    So saw this on another forum.
    Who do u think is the most important player to each club?
    As in, if one player got injured, it would nearly end that clubs season.
    Here are my 20

Arsenal - Fabregas
    Aston Villa - Barry
    Birmingham - Jerome
    Blackburn - McCarthy
    Bolton - Nolan
    Chelsea - Terry
    Derby - Barnes
    Everton - Cahill
    Fulham - Bouba Diop
    Liverpool - Gerrard
    Man City - Dunne
    Man Utd - Scholes
    M'brough - Woodgate
    Newcastle - Given
    Portsmouth - Campbell
    Reading - Doyle
    Sunderland - Richardson
    Tottenham - Berbatov
    West Ham - Tevez
    Wigan - Baines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I agree - apart from the United and West Ham ones.

I would say Ronaldo for United (though that might not be as big a problem this season)

As for West Ham, i'm hoping they don't have Tevez for much longer, so i would say Ashton for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Scholes is the reason United play the way they do, Ronaldo is a secondary part of that compared to Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

for liverpool it is defo carragher if he gets injured were fooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Macca07 wrote:
    Sunderland - Elliot

Think you should have a word with the gaffer, Heard his sale was agreed this morning. Although in fairness he has been out injured a lot and they won the Championship without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

When Tevez does leave it will be Ashton, but at the moment it would be Tevez, so agreeing with u on that.

Scholes is far more important to United than Ronaldo, Scholes makes everything click for United, but that could change next season alrite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

reading-lita
    sunderland-dean whitehead
    united-ronaldo
    pompey-taylor

Collie D wrote:
    Think you should have a word with the gaffer, Heard his sale was agreed this morning. Although in fairness he has been out injured a lot and they won the Championship without him.

Think I'll change that so.

Richardson

Don't laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Everton - Arteta was deffo their most important last year. They coped without Cahill for most of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Macca07 wrote:
    Think I'll change that so.

Richardson

Don't laugh

Haha,

Actually I have always liked Richardson. Hope he does well there.

Everton - Arteta was deffo their most important last year. They coped without Cahill for most of last year.

Yes, but they would've been a lot better if they had Cahill available, as u would've seen at the start of the season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

With all due respect, i think you have just mentioned the most well kown for a lot of those teams.

Ones I would disagree with are

Reading - Leroy Lita
    Pompey - Benjani
    Man City was Barton, not sure now
    Sunderland, if it is Richardson, they are in trouble. I like Richardson, but I don't think he is experienced enough to be their most influential player.

Kevin Doyle was the most influential player Reading had last season.
    Dunne held the Man City defence together.
    Sunderland, still unsure,could be a number of players.
    Pompey, had a great season last year so still undecided on that.

With all due respect, I didn't pick the most well-known players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Agree 100%

Macca07 wrote:
    Kevin Doyle was the most influential player Reading had last season.
    Dunne held the Man City defence together.
    Sunderland, still unsure,could be a number of players.
    Pompey, had a great season last year so still undecided on that.

With all due respect, I didn't pick the most well-known players!

Steve Sidwell was more influential than Doyle last year and I tip Leroy Lita to be one of the top three premiership goalscorers this season. But we could argue this all day.

I thought Sylvain Distin held the Man City defence together, but again we could ague this all day.

Sunderland we agree on:D

Portsmouth, Mendes, Kanu, Benjani, James and Primus were all more influential than Campbell last year. Benjani is going to amaze the entire western world and be this years top goal scorer - fact:D

So Benjani and Lita so be 2 of the top 3 goal scorers?

This season could be either very interesting, or very boring!

Steve Sidwell was more influential than Doyle last year and I tip Leroy Lita to be one of the top three premiership goalscorers this season. But we could argue this all day.

I thought Sylvain Distin held the Man City defence together, but again we could ague this all day.

Sunderland we agree on:D

Portsmouth, Mendes, Kanu, Benjani, James and Primus were all more influential than Campbell last year. Benjani is going to amaze the entire western world and be this years top goal scorer - fact:D

Sorry if I didn't spell it out for you but Sidwell is no longer at Reading, and Distin is no longer at Man City.

Benjani won't even be top scorer for Pompey next season.
    And Lita was released by Chelsea as a youth for a reason.

Macca07 wrote:

Thats a poem. Well done!

Macca07 wrote:
    Sorry if I didn't spell it out for you but Sidwell is no longer at Reading, and Distin is no longer at Man City.

so we are talking about the coming season, then why did you say that Kevin Doyle was the most influential player at Reading last season? forgive me for getting confused.:rolleyes:

If Benjani is our top goalscorer next season, then we will be getting relegated which is why I said he will amaze the entire western world, it was humour, sorry if that was lost on you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

so we are talking about the coming season, then why did you say that Kevin Doyle was the most influential player at Reading last season? forgive me for getting confused.:rolleyes:
    How is it confusing? I don't know if Doyle was Reading's most influential player last season but if he was there's obviously a very good chance that he still is. If this was Man City's most influential player last season then fair enough, it means nothing to them now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I would say Carra over Gerrard for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Scholes for United definitely.

As PHB said, Scholes is the fulcrum of the whole attacking aspect to the play whereas Ronaldo is more of a cog in the wheel (allbeit a very affective one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Arsenal - Fabregas
    Aston Villa - Barry
    Birmingham - No idea really
    Blackburn - Pederson
    Bolton - Nolan
    Chelsea - Drogba
    Derby - Again, no opinion
    Everton - Arteta
    Fulham - Bouba Diop
    Liverpool - Carragher
    Man City - Dunne
    Man Utd - Scholes
    M'brough - Woodgate
    Newcastle - Owen
    Portsmouth - Campbell
    Reading - Doyle
    Sunderland - Richardson
    Tottenham - Berbatov
    West Ham - Ashton
    Wigan - Baines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

For next season:

Arsenal - Fabregas
    Aston Villa - Barry
    Birmingham - Jerome
    Blackburn - McCarthy
    Bolton - Nolan
    Chelsea - Cech
    Derby - Barnes
    Everton - Arteta
    Fulham - Davis
    Liverpool - Gerrard
    Man City - Dunne
    Man Utd - Ronaldo
    M'brough - Woodgate
    Newcastle - Barton
    Portsmouth - Campbell
    Reading - Doyle
    Sunderland - Richardson
    Tottenham - Berbatov
    West Ham - Parker
    Wigan - Baines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ha trust a Pompey fan to say that. You'd be saying the same if it was Dunne you'd signed. Good and all as he is, Distin has a horrible habit of going wandering upfield and often left Dunne home alone. For this reason Dunne was far more important and I'd much rather have him with us than Distin.

Agreed, if Distin had Titus Bramble with him he woldn't have been quite as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why are people picking Richardson for Sunderland? He hasn't even played a game for them yet so how can he be an integral part of the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

100% Dunne, without him last season we would have been relegated. And no matter who we sign this season Dunne will still be the main man.

For Everton Arteta by a mile, one of the best performers in the Prem last season and the heatbeat of the team.

For Sunderland I think Nyron Nosworthy was a key member of their squad last season, and I can see Keano sticking with him as centre half for the coming season.

I'm surprised to see Gerrard there for Liverpool, I would put Carragher, Reina and possibly even Javier Mascherano and Torres ahead of him in importance for the coming season. I could see Liverpool winning easily without Gerrard as they just dont concede goals, but loose Carra or Reina and things would be different.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Why are people picking Richardson for Sunderland? He hasn't even played a game for them yet so how can he be an integral part of the squad?
    Eh? I do think he needs to prove himself, but being a new signing is not a problem in being an important player.

Sunderland have spent big on him, and they will need him to perform.

If, for instance, John Terry was to sign for Manchester City, I am fairly certain people would see him as their most important player.

Tauren wrote:
    If, for instance, John Terry was to sign for Manchester City, I am fairly certain people would see him as their most important player.
    Or Veron for Utd.
    Tauren wrote:
    Eh? I do think he needs to prove himself, but being a new signing is not a problem in being an important player.
    The reason why I have issues with people using Richardson as an example is because the point of the thread was/is if any one player for a given team was to get injured well then it would have a detrimental effect on the team's performance for the rest of the season. You simply can't say that about Richardson as he hasn't even kicked a ball in anger. It's just nonsensical crystalballery.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Or Veron for Utd.

The reason why I have issues with people using Richardson as an example is because the point of the thread was/is if any one player for a given team was to get injured well then it would have a detrimental effect on the team's performance for the rest of the season. You simply can't say that about Richardson as he hasn't even kicked a ball in anger. It's just nonsensical crystalballery.
    Veron is completely different - he was being brough into a midfield quartet that were widely considered to be the best in the world at the time. Why on earth would you place his importance over that of Keane for a start?

And of course this is crystalballery - its predictions for the coming season. Scholes could turn out to be just crap this season and so become unimportant while someone like Anderson could take to the premiership like a duck to water, be a revelation and become the most important first team player - or United could end up relying on the defensive abilities of Hargreaves to provide freedom to the attacking players, and we could end up being lost without this in the centre of the park. It is all 'crystalballery', but if it wasn't there'd be no point in the thread - may as well have asked who was the most important player last season.

As it happens,i don't think Richardson will be their most important player, but ruling him out just because he is a new signing is not a good enough reason, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Tauren wrote:

Sunderland have spent big on him, and they will need him to perform.

Terry having been a very important at his previous club in this case , Richardson being nothing of the sort

gustavo wrote:
    Terry having been a very important at his previous club in this case , Richardson being nothing of the sort
    again, i do not think the point is relevant.

If Richardson signed for a non-league side he'd become bloody important for them, despite being a new signing and unimportant at his previous club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sunderland aint no non league club though and I dont think he sticks out as being any way superior to any of his new team mates despite having played previously played occasionally for a more illustrious club

so I've decided to change a few in regards to what others have said

Arsenal - Fabregas
    Aston Villa - Barry
    Birmingham - Jerome
    Blackburn - McCarthy
    Bolton - Nolan
    Chelsea - Terry
    Derby - Barnes
    Everton - Arteta - even though I still think Cahill is more important to them
    Fulham - Bouba Diop
    Liverpool - Carragher
    Man City - Dunne
    Man Utd - Scholes
    M'brough - Woodgate
    Newcastle - Given
    Portsmouth - Taylor
    Reading - Doyle
    Sunderland - Nosworthy
    Tottenham - Berbatov
    West Ham - Ashton
    Wigan - Baines

So can anyone think of any other players?

Agreed, if Distin had Titus Bramble with him he woldn't have been quite as good.
    if my Auntie had balls....:D

I was going on some of the comments picked up on the various forums after Distin left. Most were more concerned about Barton's departure than anything else. I won't argue with a Man City fan though, you know best.

Just like I would expect people to accept my opinion about Campbell not being our most influential player, last season or next;)

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    Veron is completely different - he was being brough into a midfield quartet that were widely considered to be the best in the world at the time. Why on earth would you place his importance over that of Keane for a start?

And of course this is crystalballery - its predictions for the coming season. Scholes could turn out to be just crap this season and so become unimportant while someone like Anderson could take to the premiership like a duck to water, be a revelation and become the most important first team player - or United could end up relying on the defensive abilities of Hargreaves to provide freedom to the attacking players, and we could end up being lost without this in the centre of the park. It is all 'crystalballery', but if it wasn't there'd be no point in the thread - may as well have asked who was the most important player last season.

As it happens,i don't think Richardson will be their most important player, but ruling him out just because he is a new signing is not a good enough reason, imo.
    I was only using Veron as an example.

And indeed it all is just crystalballery but it'd nice to see people being realistic. Richardson imo will not be the key player for Sunderland that some people on here seem to think he will be. It seems more a case of people going with a name they know rather than using any insight into who the key players are.

gustavo wrote:
    Sunderland aint no non league club though and I dont think he sticks out as being any way superior to any of his new team mates despite having played previously played occasionally for a more illustrious club
    I do not think Richardson will be their most important player - but i think this because i do not think he is good enough - nothing to do with his stature at his previous club or the fact he is a new signing, i simply don't think either of those reasons should automatically mean a player can't be the important player at his new club.

Macca07 wrote: »

looks like we could both be very wrong:D

Advertisement