Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BHP vs PS

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote:
    maidhc, there's nothing closed minded about not liking diesels! My dislike starts with my nose, and continues on with my ears and then my right foot.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

maidhc wrote:
    I also love cars with Carbs and leaf springs. Not being able to afford anything wilder I have a '74 Ford Capri with a 2.0 overbored pinto engine and a few other mods here and there (AP racing clutch, maniford, camshaft, Essex Carb).
    Bloody luddite ;) I assume that the Essex carb is a 38DGAS.
    Diesels are just a better proposition for a daily driver though. My 1.8 Focus TDCI has plenty power for overtaking, corners fantastically well, and does the aforementioned 55mpg. It is also a lot quieter than the Capri! :)
    Most definitely, but which is more fun to drive? Have you ever driven one of the 3.0 V6 Capris (or even the Reliant with the same engine)? The noise off of that engine is fantastic, particularly with a K&N filter and some sports exhaust manifolds. Now, find a diesel which sounds better. Similarly, a well sorted petrol engine will give much better throttle response (especially compared to a turbo diesel), so wouldn't you agree that for a sports car, or even any car with sporting pretensions, petrol is a better choice, unless mpg is particularly important? In fact, would it not be fair to say that if mpg is unimportant, that a petrol engine is better than a diesel one?

They are two different solutions for two subtly different problems and I would agree with recommending diesel as a daily driver, particularly to someone who drives a long distance, otherwise the higher tax, more expensive purchase cost and less responsive and unpleasant sounding engine would probably swing it in favour of the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JHMEG wrote:
    maidhc, there's nothing closed minded about not liking diesels! My dislike starts with my nose, and continues on with my ears and then my right foot.

Jaysus, did you miss the whole "hate something, change something" thing
    modern diesels have come a long way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

nastysimon wrote:
    unpleasant sounding engine
    I prefer the sound of diesel :)

Unless we're talking Ferrari or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote:
    Jaysus, did you miss the whole "hate something, change something" thing
    modern diesels have come a long way!
    :) Haven't had the opportunity to try out that particular diesel.. but then again it is still a diesel. Mightn't be as rough as say a VW 1.9, but I'm sure it still smells like a diesel and drives like a diesel.

Was standing beside an S320 diesel the other day and was surprised at how much it didn't rattle.
    Balfa wrote:
    I prefer the sound of diesel
    That's not normal! I'd get it checked out...

• Advertisement

I find the Rav4 diesel is quieter than the petrol, also the case with the Auris and Corolla, don't dismiss something you haven't tried, I'm sure you get upset when people who have never driven a hybrid slag them.

colm_mcm wrote:
    don't dismiss something you haven't tried, I'm sure you get upset when people who have never driven a hybrid slag them.
    Colm, I've driven several diesels, and yes, somewhat dismissed them all as a result, with logical reasons. Different I'm sure you'll agree from someone who has never even sat in a hybrid dismissing them based on somthing someone else said.

Curious about the rav4. I drove a '00 Toyota van of some sort a couple of weeks ago, 2.0 diesel (same engine?) and found it very harsh.

Toyota didn't do any vans with a 2.0 diesel in 2000. The Corolla van used a normally aspirated Peugeot 1.9 engine, the Hiace used the old 2.4 non turbo engine, which later got upgraded to the 2.5 D-4D engine.

The old model Rav4 used the same 2.0 D-4D 11bhp as the 00 to 03 Avensis, and the 03 to 06 new model. This was also used in the Corolla Verso, until it was replaced by the 2.2 D-4D 135, which incidentally is the same unit that's fitted to the new Rav4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The new Merc and Audi V6 diesels sound fantastic !

Yeah, sorry Colm, was the 2.4. Rough as nails!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

colm_mcm wrote:
    This was also used in the Corolla Verso, until it was replaced by the 2.2 D-4D 135, which incidentally is the same unit that's fitted to the new Rav4.

The Mrs test drove the 2.2D Rav4 not so long ago, I sat in the back. Truly awful sounding engine!!

I don't mind my VAG 2.0TDI, sure it's a bit harsh at the start but there's a good turbo bellow at low revs that drowns it out :)

Advertisement