Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheap second hand...

Options
  • 18-07-2007 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hey everyone first time on here, great site! looking at buying cheap enough second hand. was pretty certain i'd go for a 97 megane (E3000, 65K) but came across some of the comments on here about them! has to be hatchback, something reliable, 1.4l, for less than 3000...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

At that end of the market, i'd focus more on the actual car than on the make and model. A well-cared for Megane is likely to be more reliable than an abused Golf, for example. And a 97 Megane is nicer to drive than a 97 Golf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

but came across some of the comments on here about them!
    There's a lot of waffle and crap written about Renaults in this forum.

3000 seems an awful lot to pay for a 97 Megane though.

Also, I'd agree with Anan1's comments about focusing on the actual car rather than the make and model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_om_om

thanks lads. 97 old enough but thought the low mileage should make up for it? thats the other thing....has to have low enough mileage. maybe i'm being too fussy for that kind of price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

john_om_om wrote:
    thanks lads. 97 old enough but thought the low mileage should make up for it? thats the other thing....has to have low enough mileage. maybe i'm being too fussy for that kind of price range.
    Low mileage is always nice, but i'd be mainly concerned with things like a full service history, recent service & cambelt, good tyres/exhaust, long NCT etc. It's very easy to spend a large proportion of the €3000 on a car that needs such things doing to it. Sometimes paying a bit over the odds for a really excellent car can be worth it, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know you wanted a low mileage example but take a look at this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=715664

Even though it has 100k miles on the clock, if the owner can show you documents and receipts to back up the claim of it being serviced every 8k - 10k miles, it could be a good buy. I definatley would not be put off the car because of the mileage. It is also 3 years newer than the 1997 you were looking at for the same money and comes with a decent specification too. I reckon you will get that car a bit under the asking price too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Good spot bazz. It should be said that the 1.4 engine in that car is significantly better than the 1.4 8v in the pre facelift Megane (or the 1.4 in many cars in this class for that matter) It has around 95-98 bhp and is very economical IME too and the car itself is light. We have had one for nearly 8 years and not a single problem in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_om_om

thanks for that bazz. nice looking car. in cork so will have to do a bit of searching round here. thanks for the advice lads.

Advertisement