Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meadow Grass, What,where, how can I acquire an Irish Meadow grass lawn?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

What,where, how can I acquire an Irish Meadowgrass lawn?

Last year I planted a 1/2 acre lawn area with meadow grass (unfortunatly the only type available at the time was a German product) in weeks the flowers flurished and grew to heights of 4 ft. We planted around June which was very late but it didn't seem to matter. This year however dockets and heavy grass have appeared instead of the flowers :( We've had to mow and rake it as it was getting too heavy and starting to fall.

We originally planted by ploughing and then seeding, I fear the soil maybe too rich and causing the grass and dockets to come through first.

What can I do now to achieve what I want? an meadow with Irish wild flowers which will only require mowing once or twice a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I know that product - Greenfield?
    So, I was considering doing the same with a small amount of grass that I had spare, and I noted that the box said to mow the grass twice yearly and leave the mowings behind. Did you do this? I think that reason behind this was to encourage secondary growth and ensure seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

We've just cut it a week ago, we raked the grass off, I thought that's what it said to do in order to discourage further nutrition, the recommendation was to sow on poor soil but ours isn't..is Greenfield the name of the german grass? someone threw the bag away last year immediatly after we had sown...

We saw little or now flowers this year, instead a flood of dockets and grass, should we have mowed earlier in the year or late in the year lastyear while flowers were still visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Maybe I'm wrong about leaving the mowings... I tried looking it up online - but I don't know if I have the name right.

Greenfiled does sound familiar, it was definitly german, the garden centre where I bought it was no help when I went back to them this year and asked them, they couldn't remember much either.

Anyway I wasn't too happy with the flower types, they didn't look native, I'd may have to start from scratch.

Is it really possible to create a natural looking Irish meadowgrass lawn which would grow to aroung 3-4 ft and would only need to be mowed a couple of times a year? do you have to resew every few years?
    If any one has details of the exact product and what is required please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

• Advertisement

Nice link for sure, some good information, thanks

Advertisement