Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"scarification"

Options
  • 18-07-2007 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

alright, logged onto one of my frequent boards this morning to see one of my american friends is contemplating 'scarification' (i dont know if that's the actual word, but that's what's bein used).

she's been toying with the idea of a tattoo, but doesnt like them cos theyre so common, and there's needles involved. so is considering scarification as an alternative... intending to do it HERSELF as she's broke/there's no studios near her.

now, a few other posters posted pics, which im hesitant to post here, as there is a LOT of blood involved... (PM me if you'd happen to wana see them...)

i dont know anythin about scarification personally... the pics are enough to make me think that 1. it cannot be easy to get the shapes right for it to be lookin good... and 2. it is ridiculously easy for it to go wrong.

wondering if anyone has any thoughts/advice/facts on this for me...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Well, scarification is very different from tattoos, and there's a whole load of different methods- scalpelling, flesh peeling, etc. And then you usually irritate the hell out of it to get a nice raised scar afterwards.

And yeah, it is ridiculously easy to get it wrong- I'd really recommend a professional for this, someone who is WELL accustomed to the risks and techniques involved. I doubt your friend will be able to produce a decent result by herself... and there is a lot of blood and whatnot involved. It's kind of surgical (especially if you're removing skin) and it has the potential to be really dangerous...

If your friend hasn't had a look at BME already, tell her to- there's lots of good info there... about risks and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

shes afraid of needles but scalpels dont bother her! :D brilliant!
    theres very good artists over in america for scarification, she should do a lil trip, would advise against her doing it herself though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

thanks... will pass on info...

later... in total daze right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

The hardest thing in scarification is getting the depth right you really need to know the anatomy of the skin to be able to get a nice consistent depth so it heal even. Anyone can cut them selves up but it takes a lot of practice to get it nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

She hardly meant branding instead of surgical scarification? That would explain why it would seem scalpal = ok yet needle is not, it's not the scalpal route she intends to use.

Either way I'd say she should get a professional to do it as even I'd realise that someone else is always going to be able to be more dexterous when doing something on your body, it's just the way we're designed... If you're going to be marked for life best do all that you can to make sure it's the mark you want and not just a complete mess.

• Advertisement

... she did it...

she said she might post pics up later tonight, her time..... god i hope this ends well....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Did she do it herself? If she did.... :S

I'm quite interested in this side of modding too, just haven't found the right person for it yet. Plus I have a million and one ink projects on the go at present!

hows the pokemon sleeve comin along btw?

yeah, she did it herself... im not even sure where, but yeah, serious :S

she said it hardly bled... sounds a bit odd to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

wow is all i can say,I've pierced myself a few times but i'd never try that on my own its way too risky

i dont think she peeled any skin, and was careful (apparently) not to cut too deep...

so im not even sure how permanant it is... still waitin on pics...

• Advertisement

wow. looks kinda cool, though i hate to admit it...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/476/octobuddyqp6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

That is quite interesting. Though it looks very shallow... is she doing anything to raise the scar?

duno, i dont *think* so... but im not about to put any more ideas into her head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs666

tbh a tattoo woulda looked alot nicer than what she has done to herself... shoulda got a pro to do the scarring tho, some designs can look rad!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

That's not half as bad as i thought it would be. Still would never do it myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i thought they use acid burning for scarification?

there's various methods, apparently. personally, i think the branding ones actually look the best when theyre all healed up .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

narco wrote:
    hows the pokemon sleeve comin along btw?

yeah, she did it herself... im not even sure where, but yeah, serious :S

she said it hardly bled... sounds a bit odd to me...

It's not coming along at all. :(:(:(

I'm still waiting for my boy to draw. He's getting lazy. Time to take the ninetails out! (See what I did there, hehehe!)

And I have to admit. I'm impressed.

heh, same as my polar bear!!!

and yeah, i think her scar thing looks pretty cool... she basically didnt wana tattoo, cos theyre so common :rolleyes:

its like one thing that really bugs me about music is if you like a band for a few years, then they write an album that happens to appeal to a more mainstream public, you decide you hate the band.... its bull**** really. all that crap about not wanting to be like everyone else... if youre changing what you like just cos other people happen to like it, then youre about as fake as those people you look down on :rolleyes: /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

narco wrote:
    heh, same as my polar bear!!!

and yeah, i think her scar thing looks pretty cool... she basically didnt wana tattoo, cos theyre so common :rolleyes:

its like one thing that really bugs me about music is if you like a band for a few years, then they write an album that happens to appeal to a more mainstream public, you decide you hate the band.... its bull**** really. all that crap about not wanting to be like everyone else... if youre changing what you like just cos other people happen to like it, then youre about as fake as those people you look down on :rolleyes: /rant

hmm this argument could last forever :) hehehe.
    But i actually do think something looses its edge when it becomes mainstream tbh :(

• Advertisement

well, my main example is the people who decided that green day sold out and went mainstream with american idiot. if any of them have listened to warning, then they'll realise that green day were playing 'mainstream' music (whatever that is) back then, just that it hadnt been advertised enough to catch on widely in the mainstream, so they were still 'cool' then.

still though, i know a lot of people who were into green day back in the day, but would be ashamed ot say they liked green day still, cos then they'd look like they loved mainstream stuff. its bull ****.

i personally, love music. obsessive, you could say. but if i hear a song i like, and then discover that every other tom dick and harry like it... that doesnt mean that i decide i dont like the song. i hate the whole snobbery aspect.. .like the way my tattoos are very personal to me, so are my music tastes... why the hell do people think it's ok to attack or categorise you based on what you listen to? in the past few months ive seen justin timberlake, slayer, linkin park, smashing pumpkins, wolfmother, lamb of god, velvet revolver, little man tate, scissor sisters and wir sind helden live. all were awesome in their own way. all i thoroughly enjoyed. yet you'll find people who will take teh complete piss outta ya for seeing some of them (particularly linkin park and JT ... )... but you'll see so many people who think theyre too cool to like some of them. one of the highlights of the scissor sister gig for me was seeing this 6ft something german dude who looked seriously hardcore dancing like a girl, just lettin himself go to the music... that was awesome for me to see.

sorry. im rambling now. well. yeah, im just rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Ha!
    [rant]
    If you were going to accuse Greenday of selling out by going mainstream it happened years ago as after 1039 smoothed out slappy hours and Kerplunk the sound did get a bit more mainstream/less raw, but TBH I think it was more that they had gained in abilities from practice (both in playing and songwriting) and having the recording studio behind them. That said though anyone who accuses them of selling out to the mainstream is just a twit IMO, all that's happened is that what is the mainstream has changed and now they fall into it.
    Think back to when Good Riddence came out and how all of a sudden everyone and their dog was a fan, then within about a year they were forgotten about because their music was no longer FoTM, the style hadn't changed, just what the mainstream audience wanted to hear had, now they became popular again with Minority. It's the same old Greenday (first time I heard the song I knew who it was before they even said), just people's preferences have shifted again.

The only one you list I'd probably take the piss out of you over would be JT, just because I have no respect for that talentless little narcissist who's only real selling point is that the ladies fancy him (all IMO). Not a fan of some of the others, but at least in their cases I can see they have talent. Heck I listen to everything from Ace of Base to Dune to Slipknot, Britney Spears (her earlier stuff, before it seemed half assed) to Nightwish, etc... (you get the point). Used to have the dance crowd complaining that I listened to rock, the rockers, complaining that I listen to pop, etc...
    [/rant]

Anyway, choosing to go with branding simply because she's worried about seeming "common" is a bit daft, who's to say it won't become the more popular form of body modification in 5-10 years time, then who'll look the fool?

nice rant :P

hehe,a nd i agree with a large amount of your rant too!

one thing ill have to nitpick with you on is JT... id have agreed on the talentless thing, up until i saw him live. i remember him coming out with a guitar adn thinking 'oh good god, this is gonna be bad'... and it was actually very good. his genre in general is not my cup of tea. but by god, what he does, he does it well live. the show was only short of being immaculate. he's more talented than i generally like to admit, and he puts a **** lot of effort into his performance, so the dude's gotta be given props for that.

Advertisement