Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed new build, please review...

Options
  • 18-07-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm planning on building a new uber gaming system. This is my first build and I plan on venturing into the world of overclocking once I have the system up and running (and stable :) )
    Case: Antec P182 Super Midi Tower Case - No PSU (Gun Metal Black)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA1065)
    PSU: Seasonic M12 Modular 700W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply
    Graphics Card: BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    LCD Monitor: LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black/Silver
    Hard drive: Samsung SpinPoint T HD401LJ 400GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM x 2 (RAID 1 configuration)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail
    CPU Fan: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (Socket AM2/LGA775) Heatsink
    Case Fans: Scythe S-FLEX 1200RPM Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3/4 pin x 4 (1 for the Ultra-120 and I plan on replacing the 3 that come with the case with these quieter ones)
    Speakers: Logitech Z-2300 THX® Certified 2.1 200 Watts Speakers - Retail (I don't need 5.1 as I'll be getting a 5.1 headset)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA_P35_DQ6 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    DVD Drive: Optiarc NEC ND7173 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer LabelFlash ReWriter (Black) - OEM

I know there's lots of discussion around the the E6850 vs. the Q6600 since they will be the same price come Monday, but I figure a good dual core will do me until the proper quad cores come out in the next year or so.

I don't think I'm missing anything (I have a keyboard and mouse:D ), but please feel free to criticise or comment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Operating System?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Whoops!:D Good catch!

I'm planning on using WinXP Pro. I may install Vista but only as a dual boot option and not as the primary OS as there's too much incompatibility with games that I play at the moment.

Won't dual boot slow your games still, or will it?

toco123 wrote:
    Won't dual boot slow your games still, or will it?

Dual booting won't slow down any games since the OS is loaded well before the games and the other OS are just files on another partition.

Skittle wrote:
    Dual booting won't slow down any games since the OS is loaded well before the games and the other OS are just files on another partition.

You've sold it to me!!! where can i get a cheap legal version?

• Advertisement

toco123 wrote:
    You've sold it to me!!! where can i get a cheap legal version?

Look for OEM versions of the Microsoft OS's, they are dirt cheap (€160 for Vista Ultimate), the catch is that you can't get any support from MS if there's a problem, which is no biggy really since there's tonnes of information on the web.

yeah i know... but i can't find XP!!! i am gettin Vista premium for €77

Advertisement