Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas for a surround around a stove

• 18-07-2007 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

currently in the first fix phase of the house and have been thinking about what we will put around our stove in the living room.
    was thinking of the usual red brick with a slate or natural flag/stone base, maybe even tiling it for ease of cleaning.
    will be going with Waterford stanley Erin stove. probably black enamel finish.

have done a few searches on the web for stove surrounds and the like but nothing much has come up in different designs.
    anyone have any experience of websites/magazines/books with ideas for this? or even there own personal experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 laney82

We put a Waterford Stanley Oisin stove in our sitting room. We put a red brick backing to it and a granite base for the stove to sit on. The granite is very easy to clean and really picks up the black enamel on the stove. I think of it as more of a stand for the stove - the stove itself is the feature and this backdrop compliments it really well. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

cheers laney
    it'll be something to that effect so. i know my dad went to Clare once for a nice limestone hearth. i'll have a good look around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Hi
    Im in the process of removing the old marble fireplace and replacing with a stove, probably a stanley oisin or similar, not sure how to dress around the stove and came accross this thread, was thinkING of large flagstone underneath but not sure what to put behind stove, the bricks might be a good idea, anyone any ideas or pictures would be brill??
    thanks
    MARK

hi vanderbadger,
    i went with tiles underneath and bricks surrounding it. i'll get a pic to ya later on.

nice one..cheers

• Advertisement

see the attached images of the stove. went with a raised based and covered this with a black 6 inch tile and brass trim. put in a brick lentil to carry the arch. had to cut the brick in half length ways to put at the back of the stove as there wasn't enough room to a full width brick!!
    have a oak mantle piece on top which i got made especially. the inch copper pipes come in at the side for the back boiler. but you can't see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

We have a granite slab under ours and a granite slab same width on wall with a hole in it (behind stove) for flu. Looks well and maybe more modern than bricks if that's the direction you want to go. I can take a pic and post up here if you're interested.

thanks kooman, thats a nice job in fairness, trouble I have is that im not sure how much room I will have when fireplace is removed, not sure if I will be able to sink stove into chimney if you get me, leex defo stick up some photos if you get a chance..cheers

in hindsight, we should have made the tiled raised bit much higher so that you could sit on it. there are stick-on bricks (about 20mm thick) that you can buy now; have seen them in the local builders providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Pic attached below. This was a DIY job. I cut our cardboard templates and gave them to a company in Galway who did granite worktops etc. Template had a hole for flu. Back panel has roughly the same space at sides of stove as over it. It is stuck onto the wall with a product called Grip fix IIRC.

Be careful with granite as it can crack with heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

It depends on how big you opening and stove will be.
    If you want to go with a modern and spaceous look I would recomend black granite which your basic granite or one of my favs. is nero star galaxy, its the same black granite with a gold flex in it, very nice and will stand out lovely.
    Maybe if you`d like something more toned down there`s a back brick affect panel, these are a light beach sand color you can get, there a fibre glass based and they can be cut to size, they also come in black and if you dont want the brick affect theres horizontal and vertical grooves or lines in others.
    The most popular I`ve seen is the fire brick built up around inside the opening it will pretty much go with anything, its a light coloured brown but every brick is slightly different in color.
    One last thing as a stove gives out a great deal of heat make sure you have joints put into both insert and hearth for expansion, this go`s with all granite`s/slates/marbles, hope this is useful...

thanks everyone for the pics etc, granite quite nice, pretty expensive though I guess? AM pretty close to some flagstone quarries, wonder how flagstone similar to granite setup would look

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Ours is just sitting on a tiled floor with the surround done with Fernhill stone, see pic.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Olivia Mar 2010

Was just on donedeal.ie and spotted the most fantastic stone fire/stove surround. Rang guy and he will travel anywhere to install one. He also supplies all material and is very cheap. John 0863141246

http://http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/1231976

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

here is mine slate tiles under the stove, granite slab at the front, brick insert and reclaimed wood for the surround

here is mine slate tiles under the stove, granite slab at the front, brick insert and reclaimed wood for the surround

nicely done daithi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I really like the wood surround!

Someone mentioned raising the hearth to a height to sit on, been there, done that, and would point out that since heat rises it can be a bit chilly at floor level. Revised alternative was to make the stove lower and put raised brick plinths on either side. It might make it look a bit dated though - but nice to sit on.

jesus smashing job there, think thats the nicest one ive seen, must stick up a pic of mine later although i must say i dont like mine as much any more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

If using wood, just be careful on the clearance to combustibles..

Great job on the reclaimed wood surround!

just used flagstone, local quarry cut in tile sizes for me, used a bit of ash as surround

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

From this sorry old state,to this new moden with cassete/built in multi fuel stove.

Advertisement