Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever heard of Za?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 4:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was in Omni today and spotted a new kiosk being built in the new part of the centre. It was surrounded by big barriers with "'Za" written on them and 'What's Za?', with nothing else.

Couldn't tell from what I could see what the kiosk would be doing, but I noticed that the guys building it even had hi-viz vests with 'Za on it.

Googling only gives me information about .za, the South African TLD, so does anyone know what it is?

It looks far too professional to be a local start-up, and I can only figure that 'Za is the name of the kiosk construction company or the name of the company that will operate the new kiosk... anyone know any more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

could it be zara and the local hoods ripped the 'ra' off it in an act of mindless vandalism

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Were they Polish?
    Za means 'behind' in Polish (I think).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

spurious wrote:
    Were they Polish?
    Za means 'behind' in Polish (I think).

I thought you may have been onto something, but couldn't find anything to connect the two... good guess all the same.

But the good news is I did find out what it is after all.

Decided to do a CRO search for any companies registered in Ireland under the name 'Za... came back with:
    Za Clothing Ireland Limited
    Za Investments Limited
    Za Pizza Limited
    Za-Za's

Did a google search for Za Pizza Limited and found this website, which is marked as "coming soon" and features the same logo I saw on the hoarding today!

Bingo, job done... new Pizza place coming to Omni!
    (going by the website, the name is a play on the stereotypical way that Italians are supposed to say "it is"; as in "it'za")

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

flogen wrote:
    I thought you may have been onto something, but couldn't find anything to connect the two... good guess all the same.

But the good news is I did find out what it is after all.

Decided to do a CRO search for any companies registered in Ireland under the name 'Za... came back with:
    Za Clothing Ireland Limited
    Za Investments Limited
    Za Pizza Limited
    Za-Za's

Did a google search for Za Pizza Limited and found this website, which is marked as "coming soon" and features the same logo I saw on the hoarding today!

Bingo, job done... new Pizza place coming to Omni!
    (going by the website, the name is a play on the stereotypical way that Italians are supposed to say "it is"; as in "it'za")

Because Godfather and Pizza Hut aren't enough already :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

WellyJ wrote:
    Because Godfather and Pizza Hut aren't enough already :rolleyes:

Well Godfather's has been closed for months now - there was some dispute with the franchise holder and the company and it's been looking for franchisees for ages now (since December or so, I think).

I have a feeling it'll close completely soon as it has been dormant for too long and no-one seems interested in taking it over.

This could easily rival Pizza Hut, though, as it'll likely sell by the slice and will be a quicker option than going into Pizza Hut, which is about as close to a restaurant set-up as fast food outlets get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

flogen wrote:
    Well Godfather's has been closed for months now - there was some dispute with the franchise holder and the company and it's been looking for franchisees for ages now (since December or so, I think).

I have a feeling it'll close completely soon as it has been dormant for too long and no-one seems interested in taking it over.

This could easily rival Pizza Hut, though, as it'll likely sell by the slice and will be a quicker option than going into Pizza Hut, which is about as close to a restaurant set-up as fast food outlets get.

Ah didnt know that about the Godfather branch,

Have only driven by it tbh.

I hear they make great pizza though but I have yet to be shaken from Dominos,

Mmmmmm Dominos......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

flogen wrote:

that's funny ... when I lived in New York, I knew a bunch of Italians who would refer to pizza as simply 'za' ... as in "Hey Mick, gimme some a dat 'za", or "Hey Mick, don't eat all the 'za".

In return, I told them that Irish people refer to Curry as 'Ruby Murray' :rolleyes:

BTW ... My name isn't Mick ... but all white Irish males are called Mick apparently. These guys had a very wide range of racial slurs, many of which I had never heard of before, and some which were incredibly offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

could it be zara and the local hoods ripped the 'ra' off it in an act of mindless vandalism
    Foolish to rip the 'ra off, no? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Didn't do that bird who started "itsa"bagel any harm. €6 million a year turnover. For bagels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

magpie wrote:
    €6 million a year turnover. For bagels.

Makes sense, the bloody things are addictive! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Quick Smithers, Za is coming!

Advertisement