Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting Media Player to TV [noob]

• 18-07-2007 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've got a Samsung LE32R41B.
    I've just bought a Freecom WLAN 350 MediaPlayer.

I want to link the two, without spending much on a cable. But I want to get a decent picture.

The Freecom came with a composite cable, but the Samsung doesn't have a composite input.

Which leaves me with 3 choices:
    - Component
    - S-Video
    - DVI (Freecom) -> HDMI (Samsung)

Looking for advice on what kind of quality I'll get out of each option versus what it would cost me for the cable. (suggestions on where to buy would also be welcome)

I've already got a HDMI cable for the DVD, so I presume I could also buy some kind of DVI/HDMI adaptor and use this out of the DVI port on the Freecom?

The player allegedly supports HD, and the TV goes up to 1050i, so would I see a massive improvement over Component by going DVI -> HDMI? If so I'd splurge on the necessary cable.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you won't see much if any of diffrence between componet and hdmi. If you have component cables already use those. if you have to buy one buy hdmi as you'll get more use out of it in years to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

mossym wrote:
    you won't see much if any of diffrence between componet and hdmi. If you have component cables already use those. if you have to buy one buy hdmi as you'll get more use out of it in years to come

Great, thanks for the advice.

Prob stick with component then as will save me unplugging the DVD player each time.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Not that you would want to actually use it as the picture quality would be terrible but I'm pretty sure the LE32R41B has a composite input.

The TV supports HD resolutions of (1280x720) 720p and (1920x1080) 1080i but the screen itself has a resolution of 1366x768.

So what it does is it uses an internal scaler so that 720p is displayed at it's own resolution of 1280x720 but the 1080i is scaled down to 1366x768.

In general your better off going with the 720p option as the 1080i isnt really worth it plus sometimes interlacing effects can creep in as it's not progressive.

Advertisement