Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wana try to crack this code???

• 18-07-2007 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

made it up myself, not too hard, just long.:D
    you should end up with one word at the end.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Ulfi Mrmv Gdvmgbulpi Ulfigvvm Urev Gdvmgblmv Hrc

Gdvmgblmv Ulfigvvm

Hvevmbvvm Gdvmgblmv Mrmv Ulfigvvm Gdvmgbhrc Urev

Ulfigvvm Urev Gdvmgblmv Hrc

Ulfi Mrmv Gdvmgbulfi Vrtsg Gdvmgblmv Mrmv Gdvmgb

Ulfi Mrmv Gdvmgbulfi Ulfigvvm Urev Gdvmgblmv Hrc

Gsivv Mrmv Ulfigvvm Hvevmgvvm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TX123

russell crowe wouldnt even be able to crack that jeez :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

is it some kind of caesar cipher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Do you want the answer in English, French or Irish?;)

Do you want the answer in English, French or Irish?;)

good (wo)man. irish, i think the final answer was in:D

• Advertisement

is it some kind of caesar cipher?

wtf is a caesar cipher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ok... the first step is sort of like a caesar cipher

Hmmm. Must demonstrate having solved it without wanting to spoil it for everyone else. Suffice to say that the freagra is a state of being recently experienced by a lot of people at another forum that sd123 has contributed to.

Hmmm. Must demonstrate having solved it without wanting to spoil it for everyone else. Suffice to say that the freagra is a state of being recently experienced by a lot of people at another forum that sd123 has contributed to.

yup i think thats good enough for me.
    as a matter of interest, how long did it take u to get it fully out?
    would u say that its a caesar cipher, cos im not really that sure?

• Advertisement

I think Caesar cipher refers only to substsitution ciphers in which there's a consistent shift along the alphabet, (so that, for example, if "a" was replaced with "c", which is two letters later, then "b" would be replaced with "d"). The first stage of your code would go by the more general term of "substitution cypher". In particular, it's a "simple monoalphabetic substitution cipher". (Simple = substitute individual letters as opposed to groups of letters, and monoalphabetic = the substitution is consistent throughout the message [meaning that you don't substsitute something for an "a" at the start and something else for an "a" later on.])

I'm not a real code-cracker type, but I've read a bit about it and understand the theory.

How long did it take? Well I'm too lazy to do all the donkeywork with a pencil and paper, so I surfed for 20 mins or so until I found this web-based tool: http://spy.theati.net/crypt. It allows you to try out various substitutions and see them applied to the message (starting with a best guess based on letter frequencies). Using this, and a bit of awareness of letter frequencies and patterns, it took about 10 mins to get stage 1 out. It's plain sailing from there, since it's pretty obvious how to proceed with the output from stage 1.

Bit of crack all the same. Thanks for the diversion!

By the way, check out "substitution cipher" on wikipedia for a nice clear article.

Cheers!

the best way to work a caesar cipher is to determine the most common letter in the code, and this should correspond to 'e' in the alphabet as e is the most commonly used letter. then work all others around this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

If you like this kind of thing, Simon Singh's "the code book" is a very good read. It describes the history of cryptography and steganography .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I had guessed it was a substitution cipher, and was half-thinking of writing a program to do the analysis but wasn't bothered tbvh.
    ^^As for The Code Book, its definitely one of those must have books for geeks - I loved it.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    I had guessed it was a substitution cipher, and was half-thinking of writing a program to do the analysis but wasn't bothered tbvh.
    ^^As for The Code Book, its definitely one of those must have books for geeks - I loved it.
    Me too!

i've read simon singh's other book on fermat's last theorem but since i now know of his personality, i'm not his biggest fan - - he made a popstar retract something she said in a song because it was not correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

i've read simon singh's other book on fermat's last theorem but since i now know of his personality, i'm not his biggest fan - - he made a popstar retract something she said in a song because it was not correct!

That was hilarious, it was Kate Melua's song Bicycles and she misquoted the distance from here to the edge of the known universe!:D And Simon Singh is a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Singh stole that PR stunt from his own book - The Code Book mentions that a cryptographer from the 19th century did the same with a well known poem of the time, writing to the poet asking him to correct a line about the number of people born every second or somesuch. It's been a few years since I read it, so can't remember the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

rjt wrote:
    Singh stole that PR stunt from his own book - The Code Book mentions that a cryptographer from the 19th century did the same with a well known poem of the time, writing to the poet asking him to correct a line about the number of people born every second or somesuch. It's been a few years since I read it, so can't remember the details.

It was along the lines of 'every second a person dies, and one and a quarter is born.'

Advertisement