Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Upgrade - opinions please

• 18-07-2007 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

I've been offered an upgrade with 3. I currently have a Nokia N80 which I like, (except for the short battery life - although I'm used to it by now).

3 have offered me 10% off all bills, plus an upgrade to a Nokia N73 for €129.

The N73 would probably have a better camera/battery life than the N80, but not much else, so I'd prefer if they were offering an even better phone. Does anyone know if they're going to launch new phones in the next couple of months? I don't mind waiting tbh.

Also, is 10% the best I'll get off bills, or will I do better by bargaining?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Got my upgrade in february
    slightly different choice
    lifetime 10% discount, a free phone (choice of 3 phones i went with the nokia 6280) and a 3pay sim card

I at the time also wished I could of put off the upgrade as I had no need for the phone at that moment in time and wished I could of used my upgrade to get a better phone later on. Though in the end I just took the offer

Getting the N73 for €129 is the same as what you'd pay for it if you were on the top price plan.

What plan are you on by the way?

Also those guys who call you up arent really permitted to do any bargaining so I wouldnt bother wasintg your time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i have the same decision to make. i was offered the same except the n73 for 99 euro but my 10% wasn't lifetime. don't know what im gonna do yet, i was thinking maybe going back to o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Sorry for being dim here, but I have never heard of these kind of offers.

Do 3 do this to existing customers only? Or do they do it to customers of other networks? (I remember that when Esat started they phoned me looking for business, they obviously had a list of Eircell customers...)

I spend a fair bit on cellphones but never got such a call from either Voda or Meteor, the two networks I am on.

10% off 3's already attractive rates sounds interestig.

Can someone explain how these offers come about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I got offered a months free line rental and 25% extra per month on my 40 minutes for the same price from o2.
    Thinking of porting to 3 tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sorry for being dim here, but I have never heard of these kind of offers.

Do 3 do this to existing customers only? Or do they do it to customers of other networks? (I remember that when Esat started they phoned me looking for business, they obviously had a list of Eircell customers...)

I spend a fair bit on cellphones but never got such a call from either Voda or Meteor, the two networks I am on.

10% off 3's already attractive rates sounds interestig.

Can someone explain how these offers come about?

3 ring a few weeks before the end of your contract and offer free phone or money off etc. NEVER say yes on first call, they will ring back with something extra, (well at least in my case at the end of both contracts) even with the offers i dont know if i will stick with them for a third year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Sorry - to be clearer - I'm on Talk 200, and what I was offered was as follows:

First he offered 10% off plus a Nokia N73 for €179 OR a Free Nokia 6280. Then when I stalled (only for a few seconds), he said he could offer me a further €50 off the N73 - bringing it down to €129. This is why I thought I could bargain further.

From what I could understand, the 10% is just off the basic tarrif. Eg I pay €29 a month plus add-ons, plus whatever additional calls/texts, but the 10% just comes off the €29 euro - just a saving of €2.90 per month.

Not a big deal really, or am I mistaken?

My N80 is probably every bit as good as the N73, plus it has Wi Fi, so I'm reluctant to change for the sake of it. Battery life is tempting though. I'd prefer to hold out for something like the N95 or something similar.

Might call 3 to see if they will be launching anything in the near future.

Oh - he also said the X-Series would be launching "soon", and that the N73 was one of the phones it would be on. What's the difference between "mobile Broadband", (which I have), and the X Series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I have the x-series on my 3 UK mobile.
    http://www.three.co.uk/xseries/index.omp

They've been saying it will launch in the republic for a long time. X-series incorporates all the products such as Skype, MSN, TV etc. which I guess normal mobile internet doesn't.

I use x-series unlimited browsing on my phone all over Ireland. Much cheaper than o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I got my N73 for €99. Well, they wanted €149 and I said no so he said he would charge me €149 and then credit €50 to my next bill. I am yet to get the next bill.

The N73 is a good phone. AFT works really well on SMSDiscount with it so I have cancelled my text bundle altogether and then have the right softkey to take me straight into AFT. Has yet to let me down. I was paying €10 for 200 messages a month with 3 and 25c for non Ireland texts. With AFT I would estimate I will save the cost of the new handset over the 10 months.

The handset came in an X-series box and has pre-installed software for X-series which says "Coming Soon" when you try to use it.

I wasn't that keen at all on the upgrade but they went on and on at me. Now I am glad they did it and I am glad I didn't give in too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BN123

6ix wrote:

First he offered 10% off plus a Nokia N73 for €179 OR a Free Nokia 6280. Then when I stalled (only for a few seconds), he said he could offer me a further €50 off the N73 - bringing it down to €129. This is why I thought I could bargain further.

That's what they offered me on their 3rd time calling me. The N73 for €129 plus 10% off my bill for life and €50 in €10 installments for the next 5 months. I asked him 3 times to repeat it to me and he made it quite clear my next bill would have the phone for €129 + my bill/10% off and €10 off.

The bill arrived with the phone for €179 not €129, i sent it back and for 5 weeks they tried to charge me. I spent hours on the phone to customer servies telling them i wasn't paying for a phone i sent back, nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BN123

6ix wrote:

That's what they offered me on their 3rd time calling me. The N73 for €129 plus 10% off my bill for life and €50 in €10 installments for the next 5 months. I asked him 3 times to repeat it to me and he made it quite clear my next bill would have the phone for €129 + my bill/10% off and €10 off.

The bill arrived with the phone for €179 not €129, i sent it back and for 5 weeks they tried to charge me. I spent hours on the phone to customer servies telling them i wasn't paying for a phone i sent back, nightmare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Three should have the E65 coming soon. I'd enquire about that. Not as good a camera as the N80, but the battery life is great, it's slim, it has WiFi and it's a pretty fast S60 phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

3 have had the E65 available for the past month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Does the E65 not only have a camera on one side?

While I don't use video calling that often, I reckon that while 3 offer it, there is no point in getting a phone that is incompatible with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

3 have had the E65 available for the past month.

Better say that to the store in Limerick then, as they said it was coming out the start of August.

Advertisement