Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kentonbombs Classic Matches Discussion

• 18-07-2007 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

July 16 - Bad Blood 98 - HIAC - Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker
    July 17 - Survivor Series 97 - Bret Hart (c) vs Shawn Michaels
    July 18 - Wrestlemania III - Hulk Hogan (c) vs Andre the Giant
    July 19 - Backlash 04 - Hardcore - Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack

Okay Discuss all Kentonbombs Classic Matchups Here, The link to the videos

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054945696&page=11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ah survivor series 97, the night the curtain was pulled back and the wizard was revealed....

it was a good match in its own right but there was an incredible amtmosphere in the arena,you could feel something was going down towards the end but assumed it was something storyline wise, little did we know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

ah yes the survivor series one was a great one....depending on your preference either teh best or second best hardcore match ever....(Other one bein HIAC Foley/Taker)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I never really cared for the match as by the time I saw it, the infamy of it far out passed the match itself, huge moment for wrestling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The one thing to take from the match besides obviously the ending is the atmosphere. The crowd at Survivor Series that year was pretty raucous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

kentonbomb wrote:
    July 16 - Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker

The original and best HITC match. Given the fact that neither knew what the hell they were doing in that cell as it was a precident! It also marks the best bladejob ever of the 90s where Shawn blades in mid flight heading toward the cage! Unreal debut of Kane as well, it's just too bad that they went and dropped the ball with him.
    kentonbomb wrote:
    July 17 - Survivor Series 97- Bret Hart (c) vs Shawn Michaels

F*ckin' hated it! Out of all the matches they had, and they had so many, this was god awful. Wasn't even much of a match. People knew Bret was going by that point and were quite Anti-Shawn from losing his smile earlier making it the second Survivor Series in a row the crowd turned on Shawn only the first time around he was actually trying to be a face! But faces and New York didn't go well, so needless to say, the pro Canada, Montreal crowd was legit heat for Shawn at this point. Although the ending is world famous at this point, it's about the only thing about this PPV and that match is.

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭kentonbomb

New Video up Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack at Backlash 04

kentonbomb wrote:

A classic match for all the wrong reasons. Andre was in piss poor health in every sense of the term, but the money he and Hogan were drawing was absolutely insane so he stuck around and feuded with him for the guts of 18 months. Match itself was no great shakes but that body slam is pretty much legendary as it's shown on nearly every video package regarding Hogan or Wrestlemania. Six man tag and the IC match that night blew this match out of the water though.
    kentonbomb wrote:

A sick match altogether, and one that propelled Orton from midcard to main event level. Orton landing on the thumbtacks is still scary looking as it was obviousl that he'd never been in that kind of match before. He still did a great job holding his own. Probably the last truly amazing match Foley has had too.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

kentonbomb wrote:
    July 17 - Survivor Series 97 - Bret Hart (c) vs Shawn Michaels

Not a great match in itself, only really famous for what happened after. Great atmosphere though, as has been said. Bret was awesome
    kentonbomb wrote:

Not being a fan of Hogan, I can't say I'm a fan of this match. Obviously a huge moment given Hogan's popularity and the way Andre was built up though
    kentonbomb wrote:

This was great. I love it even more looking back now as I wasn't as big a fan of Orton's as I am now. The feud was so different to anything we'd seen before. I remember watching it in my mate's house and just loving the match. Nearly knockin over drinks cos I thought Mick was going into the tacks. I'd seen guys land in tacks before this, but there was something different with Randy, it was like he just wasn't prepared for it and you could really feel his pain

kentonbomb wrote:
    New Video up Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack at Backlash 04

i bought backlash 2004 recently just for this match, and well worth it it was too,foleys best match since the street fight with triple h, and orton held his own the whole way through it

It wouldn't let me edit my first post so todays match is: WM21- MITB - Edge vs Benoit vs Shelton vs Kane vs Jericho vs Christian

• Advertisement

kentonbomb wrote:
    Todays match is: WM21- MITB - Edge vs Benoit vs Shelton vs Kane vs Jericho vs Christian

This is basically a glorified TLC match only it's six singles competetors rather than three tag teams. Out of the 3 that has been held so far, this is still my fave one as Edge begins to take it up a few notches to become main event after struggling in the midcard for months after his return the year before. Edge then became the ultimate psycho-heel who was desperate for a title shot and was in the ultimate chase for the title shot. This match would end that chase once and for all. My only problem with Edge in this match is the fact that he does very little in it. He takes a bump to the outside and spends most of it on the floor. I was actually rooting for Jericho when i watched this match live. Second viewing says it all though, and how the right guy went over.

VR!

Since Today is Saturday i will post 2 matches, Hogan vs Rock at WMX8 and Bulldog vs Hitman at Summerslam 92, Enjoy.

kentonbomb wrote:
    Since Today is Saturday i will post 2 matches, Hogan vs Rock at WMX8 and Bulldog vs Hitman at Summerslam 92, Enjoy.

Can i make a couple of suggestions dude, don't strictly single it out to WWE. NWA/WCW also had classic matchups as well. I'd strongly recommend digging up the Syxx v Eddie Guerrero from Souled Out 97 and the War games match from Wrestlewar 92 are worth checking out.

Hogan v Rock - WMX8:
    F*cking horrible match wrestling wise as neither of them are exactly ring technicians, but this drew by name vs name alone. And the crowd ate it up with a spoon. This for me, was a classic example of capturing lightning in a bottle. They tried to do it again 11 months later with the same two and surprise... it was total rubbish. But If they can get Rock to do another wrestlemania, they can do Rock v Michaels and it'll be almost similar as they've not ever stepped in a ring together to wrestle if i recall correctly?

Smith v Hart - Summerslam 92:
    I never rated Davey Boy as a wrestler, he was only really ever good if he had Bret, Shawn or Owen to carry him. This was a classic example. Bret basically commented on this match on his first shoot interview in 2000 that Davey had taken 3 months off before this match and blew up and completely out of shape and was sucking wind 10 minutes into the match. He still maintained five years after that during the recording of the Bret DVD that he practically wrestled himself, and for just this once, i'm inclined to agree with Bret.

Two great crowd moments though, classic matches more for the reaction of the crowd than the action in the ring.

VR!

Can i make a couple of suggestions dude, don't strictly single it out to WWE. NWA/WCW also had classic matchups as well. I'd strongly recommend digging up the Syxx v Eddie Guerrero from Souled Out 97 and the War games match from Wrestlewar 92 are worth checking out.

Hogan v Rock - WMX8:
    F*cking horrible match wrestling wise as neither of them are exactly ring technicians, but this drew by name vs name alone. And the crowd ate it up with a spoon. This for me, was a classic example of capturing lightning in a bottle. They tried to do it again 11 months later with the same two and surprise... it was total rubbish. But If they can get Rock to do another wrestlemania, they can do Rock v Michaels and it'll be almost similar as they've not ever stepped in a ring together to wrestle if i recall correctly?

Smith v Hart - Summerslam 92:
    I never rated Davey Boy as a wrestler, he was only really ever good if he had Bret, Shawn or Owen to carry him. This was a classic example. Bret basically commented on this match on his first shoot interview in 2000 that Davey had taken 3 months off before this match and blew up and completely out of shape and was sucking wind 10 minutes into the match. He still maintained five years after that during the recording of the Bret DVD that he practically wrestled himself, and for just this once, i'm inclined to agree with Bret.

Two great crowd moments though, classic matches more for the reaction of the crowd than the action in the ring.

VR!

hogan v rock: like vr said horrible wrestling wise but probably the the greatest fan reaction to a wwf match ever,the crowd were wihte hot for the entire thing

bret v davey boy: probably the bulldogs best match in his singles career, a good solid match but hes carried by bret the whole way through

i dont think michaels has ever fought the rock either,not on tv at least anyway, the rock wasnt a terrible wrestler by any means, but michaels is one of the greatest ever so if it did happen the crowd would probably be split 50/50 ala warrior/hogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Sabu vs Terry Funk is one of the sickest matches I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

kentonbomb wrote: »
    Okay Discuss all Kentonbombs Classic Matchups Here, The link to the videos

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I think we all wish he was back

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

*waiting for Kentonbombs music to hit.......*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

*waiting for Kentonbombs music to hit.......*

Would that be the Benny Hill music by any chance? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I always had him down as a Eugene