Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Against Emo..anyone?

• 18-07-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

opinions

are they taking over?

is it good music?

Comments

Its utter sh*te. As are emo people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

hell no its depressin sh1te......branded for "rebellious" kids who have got nothing better to do than moan bout this or that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Who gives a ****? I'm not for or against it.

I don't like the style of music, but for crying out loud, the attitude of hating it is retarded. Do people really need to rail against the tastes of others in order to vindicate their own tastes?

As for the emo kids, I'd far rather kids were writing poetry and moaning than hanging around estates drinking dutch gold and throwing bricks into oncoming traffic for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grendo89

well im not saying i hate them... but their ways dont bode well with me especially when you get looks of certain groups of them as you walk down the street.

the lyrics that some of those bands come out with.. i went to see my chemical romance for the craic and i was just standing in utter shock at what they were singing about and what they were shouting..!! now i know its not just emo music that has explicit lyrics and the such but still some of them went way too far...!

and also... fair enough if you dont agree with people saying certain things or having particular attitudes to emos..but saying that those things or those attitudes are retarded is just as bad, in fairness!

and emos do hang around!! loads! have ya not seen them.. groups upon groups of blackness and stripes.. its quite scary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Meh. Kids will always have their wacky styles. Might as well be wearing Ugg boots and supporting a d4 haircut for all I care. It's all the same thing really. People finding acceptance from their peers by the way they dress.

To be against it you'd have to care about it somewhat. I sure don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

grendo89 wrote:
    now i know its not just emo music that has explicit lyrics and the such but still some of them went way too far...!

Quick! Somebody call Tipper Gore! :D

Seriously, how the hell do you quantify "Too Far"? It's like we're back in the 80's again.
    grendo89 wrote:
    and also... fair enough if you dont agree with people saying certain things or having particular attitudes to emos..but saying that those things or those attitudes are retarded is just as bad, in fairness!

In fairness, it is retarded. I get the feeling that a lot of time, weak minded people take objection to something others enjoy, in order to validate what they enjoy, to establish a dominating viewpoint. It's schoolyard bull****, and it's ridiculous that adults will stoop to such childishness. It's sad, to be frank.

To put it another way, what the hell does some kids listening to Emo do to harm you, and your tastes? Why do you feel the need to pick on them? Why feel the need to be "Against" them?
    grendo89 wrote:
    and emos do hang around!! loads! have ya not seen them.. groups upon groups of blackness and stripes.. its quite scary!

Where did I said I had a problem with anyone hanging around? There's a huge difference between the statement "Hang around" and what I actually said, which was this:
    hanging around estates drinking dutch gold and throwing bricks into oncoming traffic for the laugh.

Now, if you're going to discuss something, discuss what's actually been said, don't take it out of context and adress some invented point that was never even made untill you decided to be selective with words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

to quote a friend "if there's one thing i hate more than emo kids, its the fúckers who insist on bashing them all the time"...

i like some emo music myself, cant stand other bits of it, like some emo people, cant stand others, i apparently dress emo some times, others i dont...

labelling labelling labelling, generalising generalising generalising.

judge a band by their music.
    and judge people by their personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As for the emo kids, I'd far rather kids were writing poetry and moaning than hanging around estates drinking dutch gold and throwing bricks into oncoming traffic for the laugh.

Just because kids are Emo doesn't mean they are exempt from causing trouble. I've seen many drunk Emo kids in town causing a ruckus. They may on average be less aggressive, doesn't mean they're angels though.
    narco wrote:
    and judge people by their personalities.

I know what you're saying. And to a certain extent I would agree.
    Yet, I just can't help finding people who attempt to dress in a certain style that is 'in' annoying. Be they Emos, Goths, D4s, Chavs or whatever. They're all equally as bad and more alike than they would like to admit.

ive spent a good bit of time on a music forum the last couple of years, and some of hte most annoying people that've signed up are emos... and my god, dont you know about it....

every other post, they manage to get the word 'emo' in, and it's as though their only sense of self, their only personality, understanding of themself, identity, whatever you wana call it, is that they are an emo.

not my cuppa tea, personally, but i think the age 13/14 is so largely concerned with finding yourself, and others that you can relate to, and when you find this label that seems to fit you, you can over identify a lot (yes, i studied psychology for a while:rolleyes: )...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

im my opinion i think emo guys are just wrong well they can b ok to a certain extent like one time i was out and seen 2 emos i didnt know which one was the guy thats too far but i think emo girls are pretty hot spiked hair tight jeans who doesnt like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Yes, the fashion sense can go a bit far (I've never wanted to see THAT much of another male's figure, especially a skinny guy's), they can be annoyingly dense and even condescending about it, but who gives a rat's? The only thing I really care about as regards emos or emo is that the music is cack and a pale shadow of what it started out as. They'll grow up and be like all those morons from the 80s who had Flock of Seagulls haircuts, wore pastel suits and thought day-trading was a viable path to becoming a millionaire. They'll grow out of it at some point en masse, some might not but it's just a trend. Like Karl said, at least they're not all out having a go at you for being near Supermac's without a track suit and hoodie on ;)

@ kieran: punctuation is vitally necessary if you want people to be able to read your posts properly or people to take you seriously, that just sounds like one long sentence spouted forth by a primary school goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Meh its a fad.
    Like all the Skater "Boi's" a couple of years ago. A few will stick with it. Most will grow out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

emo = annoying fad
    I thought hair metal bands dressed bad!:D
    nothing has changed in 2007!!
    1986 http://www.bobaloorox.com/images/hairrock1.jpg
    2007 http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/music/aiden/aiden_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i love the way everybody WHINES about emo kids, slight oxymoron *shrugs*

emo kids GENERALLY are quite nice and friendly and rarely whine about self harm (thats american emos) but there are a few wee scumbags that are arrogant (theyre generally the wealthy ones)

anyway the whole emo thing will be over soonish (i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Eh! I know what Emo is, but can somebody name some of the bands that seem to be getting people pissed off. I have no idea who falls under that catagory.

As for Emo's. i used to be a Cure head, so i guess there's nothing i can say about them.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't like emo music.
    Emo's are people, therefore you get some assholes and some of the soundest people you'll ever meet. Though walkin down a street on my own at night Id rather walk past a gang of emo's then skangers:) from past experiences anyway...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I like some Emo, such as Jimmy Eat World and Fall Out Boy (are Fall Out Boy emo?), and I hate others (stand up My Chemical Romance, Dashboard Confessional)

Brandishing all bands "crap" just because they fall under a certain industry label seems a bit silly. Bands should stand on their own merit. There are plenty of crap Emo bands but then look at how many sh*te American rock and roll rip off bands were around with the Beatles cashing in on the early days of British rock and roll.

I think Emo bands get into trouble when they take themselves too seriously. You end up with silly songs designed simply to make middle class teenagers feel justified in throwing a trantrum because dad won't let them stay out passed 11 (I'm sooo oppressed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

emo's are harmless and My Chemical Romance are way cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Music sucks. But a lot of emo chicks are hot potatoes! So something good's come out of it, and I ain't complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Oeneus wrote:
    Music sucks. But a lot of emo chicks are hot potatoes! So something good's come out of it, and I ain't complaining.

why does every emo girl have to have purple/red hair? it looks good on some girls, makes other girls look like a clown!

yea, some of them are hot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

dont forget HAWTHORNE HEIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! the most emo band of them all,
    My Chemical Romance are hardly emo if you use them as the comparison,
    and HH did one hell of a bad cover of bullet with butterfly wings

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grendo89

i personally amnt generalising the race of emos as eejits or anything. i know plenty of people who would describe themselves as emos! and they are perfectly sound people! its the wannabes that amuse me!! and the music. i havent come across an emo band that i dont not like! so therefore i can say that emo music (to me) is crap!

"Have you heard the news that you're dead?
    No one ever had much nice to say
    I think they never liked you anyway
    Oh take me from the hospital bed
    Wouldn't it be grand? It ain't exactly what you planned.
    And wouldn't it be great If we were dead?
    Ohh dead."

loverly :D

Fad wrote:
    My Chemical Romance are hardly emo if you use them as the comparison,
    and HH did one hell of a bad cover of bullet with butterfly wings

if pumpkins were to only come out recently... they would almost certainly be classed emo... ever hear their cover of 'dancing in the moonlight'? it takes a lot of skill to make a song that happy emo, and they did it.*

*am actually a pumpkins fan... wearing zero tshirt right now as it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

emo's are harmless

Emo's what are harmless? I don't quite understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I don't like emo music or the culture or anything else emo, but for whatever reason there seems to be some kinda crusade against it. You'd swear emo kids were responsible for the middle east crisis, the way people go on. Its just music, lets put things into perspective. Yeah, they're annoying, but the fact there seems to be as many people who go out of their way to say how much emo sucks as the amount who actually like emo is a bit sad. For a start they're such an obvious target and its not like the OP made any valid or unique points. I could make a thread saying Westlife are ****e on the pop forum - whats the point, I'd much rather spend time try to turn people onto music I like. 99% of mainstream music sucks these days, any decent bands don't get played on the radio. In fact of the stuff that we actually hear on the radio, emo is probably up there with the best of a terrible lot. Don't know why people get so worked up about it to be honest. I don't really care what other people listen to. I know lots of people who hate my favourite bands as well, doesn't change my opinion of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Undergod wrote:
    Emo's what are harmless? I don't quite understand.

har har aren't you clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

MooseJam wrote:
    har har aren't you clever

Not especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Fad wrote:

Wow, if the songs on their myspace site are anything to go by those guys are BAD .. the lead singer can't even sing

• Advertisement

grendo89 wrote:
    "Have you heard the news that you're dead?
    No one ever had much nice to say
    I think they never liked you anyway
    Oh take me from the hospital bed
    Wouldn't it be grand? It ain't exactly what you planned.
    And wouldn't it be great If we were dead?
    Ohh dead."

loverly :D

BUT! that is sang in a weirdly uplifting way :)

Advertisement