Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Against Emo..anyone?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

John wrote:
    On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.
    POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

All the funnier cause I'm actually wearing my Holy Grail t-shirt. In fact, I'll give it my old patented:
    Kharn wrote:
    :D ROFL - good 'un mate!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'll admit to liking funeral for a friend, Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation is a pretty cool album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Kharn wrote:
    POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

All the funnier cause I'm actually wearing my Holy Grail t-shirt. In fact, I'll give it my old patented:

Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Meh, they don't bother me really.

They're a lot better then the tracksuit-clad-hoopy-earing brigade, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Thelikefaneire

Meh they're not that bad, but the really strong emo bands are pretty crap. Stuff like early My chemical romance or Hawthorn hights or aretyu, thats all crap, at least MCR redeimed themselves with the Black Parade. I more of a pop-punk person, Fall Out Boy, Mest and Paramore, but even if parts of thier music is emo, especially early paramore and fob, or late mest, but they're still good, and most of it better than proper emo bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

whatever way they want to dress/do their hair/appearance doesn't bother me.

what slightly irks me is that guy from MCR who is like 30 years old singing from the perspective of a current day teenager.

i like emo music, but it's mostly the older gen that i like, like sunny day real estate, at the drive-in, the get up kids, mid 90's weezer and jimmy eat world.

anyone who doesn't like my taste i couldn't care less and i couldn't care less if someone else likes a band i don't.

I have no problem with emos. I work in a record store and have found the vast majority of them to be friendly, outgoing kids who don't bother anyone and should be left alone. The whole cutting themselves thing is something the tabloids caught onto and ran with, I've only ever seen one kid who cut himself and he was never right to begin with.

I've been told that I listen to a lot of emobands such as Jimmy Eat World, Dashboard Confessional, Goldfinger, and Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer, and that I have emo hair, it's pinkish red at the minute. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I always believed that it's better to have a wide taste range rather than liking just one genre of music.

I guess whay I'm trying to say is maybe the problem isn't with kids who are emo, but rather with all those people who spend their days bashing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs666

why does music even fall into genres anyway?? just another way to label the people that listen to it? emo is just a stereotype put on people just like goths, metal heads, punks, skaters etc etc. genres are very blurry cuz if you go back to what inspired a new genre you find they all came from one another...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

The emo culture sucks but it's unfair when bands are labelled emo just for having sad lyrics and music, rather than happy or uplifting stuff. If that's what they want to play and that's the kind of music they enjoy then I say go for it, I love sad music as well as happy music, but changing your music to fit in with emo culture is another kind of sad altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

robs666 wrote:
    why does music even fall into genres anyway?? just another way to label the people that listen to it? emo is just a stereotype put on people just like goths, metal heads, punks, skaters etc etc. genres are very blurry cuz if you go back to what inspired a new genre you find they all came from one another...
    genres where never made up to label bands, it's people's interpretation on a label that's what's wrong.

genres to me give a very slight indication as to what a band may sound like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

I'm not for or against emo, but it's ridiculous how this whole "I hate emo" has become almost as much a group as the actual thing..
    As for emo music, whatever. Some of it is good. I think it's like any other genre. Someone could LOVE metal, yet HATE a certain band.. Some emo is good, some is total crap.. But anyway! Laters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I didn't even know there was a band called "Funeral for a Friend": did they take their name from the Elton John instrumental that Dream Theater did a great version of? A good sign, I suppose.

I guess the whole Emo thing was a bit "under the radar" for me. After listening to Joy Division, OMD, The Smiths and The Smashing Pumpkins, I wonder just how much more "emotional" anyone could get while without topping themselves. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Tbh its a fabrication of the music industry to combat pop and rock into one commerical package, and record labels,to up sales, label most pop/rock bands 'emo'
    Some of the stuff is very good[Early My Chem , Current Taking Back Sunday]-some of it is awful[Madina Lake, Panic!At the Disco]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 goth_detective

the whole emo thing is a joke...really is.....**shakes head**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

So far in this thread about 2 actual emo bands have been mentioned. They are Dashboard Confessional and Sunny Day Real Estate. Everything else is just teeny-rocker pop-punk.

FFAF have devolved into a plain ol' alt-rock band. It all went downhill after the first record.

MCR's first record is pretty good, yeah.

I never ever got why people associated emo (even this new faux 'emo') with sadness and self-harm and ****. But maybe I'm just listening to the wrong bands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

So far in this thread about 2 actual emo bands have been mentioned. They are Dashboard Confessional and Sunny Day Real Estate. Everything else is just teeny-rocker pop-punk.

lets add another one!! Aiden, I tried to give them a chance, came accross one of their videos and listened to their lyrics. they are catchy, but with lyrics like "this razor blade was ment for me", (considering most of thier fans are too young to be shaving!) i couldn't take them seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

No-one really likes Aiden. No-one over 15, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Loki1983

All you lads that are dissing emo, I bet are the same people who are what I like to call "Metallica Snobs" and to be honest I find these people the most frustrating of the lot. I was at the Metallica concert (for Metallica I might add, not lostprophets or Slipknot) in June '04 where above said morons started pelting Ian Watkins (LP lead singer) to such an extent he practically gave up singing during the set.

Whether or not you like a specific genre or band, under no circumstances should anyone be subjected to such abuse. Metallica's fans really turned me off the band that day.

I don't stick to any said genre, I like what I like. I listen to bands from Strapping Young Lad to FFAF from Killswitch Engage to Radiohead. There's nothing wrong with being "emo," equally there's nothing wrong with being a "metalhead."

Build a bridge and get the f*ck over yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yeah. Boo. Down with emo girlies. Goth girlies gooood.... emo girlies baaaad...

As for their music, well, I prefer it to rap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

What is really interesting is looking at what people have written on this forum and seeing how the emo "culture" has influenced what they write. Its gas.

Anyway, lets not get caught up in it, simply because when I was listening the Pantera in the 90s older dudes with Iron Madien t-shirts gave me a hard time.

Do you really wanna be one of those old, past it, has been, desperately trying to defend their past glory days from an imagined attack of new music, guys?

Or you could be sound.

For your home work... Learn the difference between "Emo" and "Fashion Core", "emo music" and "post hard core synth pop", and "Emo kid" and "Scene kid".

As is usuall in Ireland we have our own take on this genre, namely we have scene kids not emo kids.

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Hector Gilbert

Personally, if you describe a band as playing "black metal" music I have some (rough) idea of what to expect them to sound like. If you describe a band as being "emo" I'd still have absolutely no idea what they would sound like. The "genre", and its connotations, strike me as being devoid of meaning at least on a musical level. Aside from fitting under the hugely broad "alternative rock" umbrella I don't see any great similarity between (say) the latest My Chemical Romance album, the latest Brand New album and Thursday's Full Collapse, yet I've seen them all described as "emo".

Advertisement