Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why the universal dislike of Cena?

• 18-07-2007 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Why does everyone here seem to be down on John Cena?

Just curious :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Originally I didn't like Cena because I found his promos stupid and poorly delivered. His in ring skills were not at the level of a main eventer as he had a very limited amount of moves.
    Nowadays his in ring skills have improved somewhat and he has put on some great matches like his matches against Umaga and HBK. I still find his promos to be painful to watch at times.

I kinda see him now as the guy I love to hate rather than just a guy I hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

i think hes great. how batista gets off so lightly ill never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

ALSO to add to what littlejp said above, .... the way wwe shoved cena down our throats was not liked by many fans, it was like wwe said " here is the our new champ. like him" he did not stand up like Rock or Stone Cold ( plus many more greats) and say " I am here standing up for myself and i need no push from wwe power"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

He has been champ too long! I disliked him last year around 'Mania 22, but in the last year and a half or so, he has grown on me. But back to my point, its not the 80's anymore, year long title reigns are not what is wanted, especially on the main brand (due to loads of deserving talent). Year long reigns should only be used if the wrestler is super over with the crowd and the storylines stay fresh, otherwise 6 months would be a max for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Champ too long
    Pushed down our throats as a face
    Limited move set which is also annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Good thing people who are complaining over the length of his title reign weren't watching the WWWF in the 1960's. Bruno Sammartino held the belt for close to 8 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Gillie wrote:
    Champ too long
    Quoted for truth
    Gillie wrote:
    Pushed down our throats as a face
    Quoted for truth
    Gillie wrote:
    Limited move set which is also annoying
    If this was 2005 i would tend to agree, but he has improved in that department and anyone who disagrees on that is just plain ignorant, i'm no fan of him either but his ring work has improved, especially throughout 2007!

VR!

Good thing people who are complaining over the length of his title reign weren't watching the WWWF in the 1960's. Bruno Sammartino held the belt for close to 8 years!

Yes but there wasn't much in the way of TV exposure at that time, let alone 3 weekly shows and borderlining 2 PPVs per month!

Comparing it to 40 years ago is just silly mate :)
    VR!

Comparing it to 40 years ago is just silly mate :)

I'd prefer if you didn't call me mate. Your posts remind me of Richard Simmons and at least for me but maybe not for others, thats not a good thing.

I'd prefer if you didn't call me mate. Your posts remind me of Richard Simmons and at least for me but maybe not for others, thats not a good thing.

Given how you can't even spell Simmons name right, you don't wanna know how i rate your posts... mate :)

VR!

Edit: Well done on getting the name correct on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I have always liked Cena, yes he has been the champ for a long time but cos he is a money maker, I thought his Rapper gimmick was great, I meet him once, he is a super nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I was not a fan of Cena's at all for a long time, I think I've always had something against him after he beat Jericho in one of the first ppvs he was on. I loved Jericho back then. Last year it was just such boring repetitive tv when he was on Raw. Every single main event of Raw would have him getting beat up, then pulling out his signature moves and getting the win

This year he's thrown a lot more variety into the mix. I can't actually remember the last time he had a match as boring as the ones he would have last year

He's good on the mic, it's just that all too often he ends up resorting to implying that his opponent is gay or other childish insults. It's hard to like a guy who has such stupid slags, although as it's childish the kids lap it up. Perfect example was a few weeks ago in the ring with Kennedy. He called him "Mr bla bla bla". Can you imagine Rock or Austin coming out with something with so little thought put into it?!

I've got nothing against Cena at this stage though, he obviously works very hard and it's not as if he himself decided that he'd be champ for this long

Fozzy wrote:
    Perfect example was a few weeks ago in the ring with Kennedy. He called him "Mr bla bla bla". Can you imagine Rock or Austin coming out with something with so little thought put into it?!

Hah, i noticed that as well, first thing i said to myself was Pot and Kettle :)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

cenas promos are written almost word for word,same as everyone elses these days,wrestlers arent allowed make stuff up on the spot anymore, go back to the awesome promos of the rock and austin and kurt angle ("yippee kaye ay!") back in the day and see the differnce of great promos,i did really like cenas advert for the marine on dvd though when he was trying to outdo michaels' one for the dx dvd "at points in the movie john cena is actually impervious to bullets!"

If this was 2005 i would tend to agree, but he has improved in that department and anyone who disagrees on that is just plain ignorant, i'm no fan of him either but his ring work has improved, especially throughout 2007!

VR!

To be more specific I hate the "you can't see me/five knuckle shuffle" move!
    Reminds me of the worm *shudders*!

But I know its for the kids;)

I wasn't even a thought in my fathers head at that stage!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

VR kinda covered all my points, but I'll post them myself just for the fun of it (and I won't call you 'mate' either Vince ;)).
    I wouldn't mind an 8 year reign if it was the 60's when there was no such thing as PPVs, just house shows and maybe TV tapings, not sure when they started. People didn't know things as fast as we do. We may not even know about some of the happenings in WWE. Nowadays, we know house show results an hour or so after they end. We may even get a video or two if something big happens. In 2007, with 15 PPVs a year and 5 hours of TV each week, long reigns get repetitive quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

he suffers from the usual situation

1) given a gimick for his first big push. people are either fans or not with certain gimmicks and a rapper is as polarising as any gimmick. Once a fan states his open dislike for a wrestler they rarely change it.

2)He's the kiddies champ. the chain-gang are all minors, so being a Cena fan can seem juvenile.

3)He's always portrayed as the underdog with a Mountain to climb even tho we (the fans) never expect him to lose because...

4) He sells so much merchandise that he has been the champ seemingly for ever now "The champ i here"

5)He has a repeditive moveset (who doesent) that many find boring.

and there are many more reasons why he is the latest wrestler to get such a reaction. many people seriously dislike HHH for his backstage power and hogging of the limelight but few deny his quality, hell people even used to give te rock (who was better) the same reation they now give Cena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ramones

Again, thanks for all the replies.

They all make sense and I can understand the whole repetitiveness side to it.

I've been to many sporting events over the years in lots of different places but when Cena took to the ring at the Point last month I couldnt believe the atmosphere from the crowd - it was fantastic. Sure it was predominantly kids but no less electric.

I guess as you say, given that he is a cash cow for the management they are unlikely to drop him any time soon. Would be good to at least see him lose and regain the title - could that happen this weekend?

Hope no one minds me asking all these simple straightforward questions but as I said in the other thread its all fairly new to me. To be honest I cant believe how much I'm enjoying it :D

Last stupid question ...for now. ;) is the Undertaker on a break/injured or left WWE?

Cheers

undertakers out injured he has hip and elbow problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Slightly off the topic...but what is the story with Cena? He has been champion now for over two years. This must be the longest title reign ever. Why don't they give someone else the belt?

Minto wrote:
    VR kinda covered all my points, but I'll post them myself just for the fun of it (and I won't call you 'mate' either Vince ;)).
    I wouldn't mind an 8 year reign if it was the 60's when there was no such thing as PPVs, just house shows and maybe TV tapings, not sure when they started. .

Your right.

You don't remind me of Richard Simmons so I can handle you calling me pretty much anything you like.

Your right.

You don't remind me of Richard Simmons so I can handle you calling me pretty much anything you like.

For a wrestling fan, you seem to be obsessed with Richard Simmons, i think you can get treatment for that sh*t. :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Is it possible to discuss wrestling on this board without it being reduced to juvenile insults and attempts at witty remarks?
    Why can't you guys keep the insults out of it?

I've actually been on good behaviour for the last couple of weeks. I did my best! :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Like many Cena haters about a year ago,I've learnt to live with the guy.
    He has come on from his few "moves of doom" only last year to some wrestling which is then followed by his "5 moves of doom".He has been in two of the best matches so far this year-against michaels at mania and raw(London).I think than in both of those matches he really did keep his cool and came across as being quite good in both.

His promos are what really annoys me.What fozzy pointed out is just one example of something that he does quite regularly which if austin or the Rock did,would have been frowned upon.Then again his target audience is mostly kids and it would seem only right to use "kiddy" references in his promos to get across to the younger audience.

In the future,I would like to see him turn into a heel again.I for one think that his face status is now quite close to its sell by date and that change is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Glenman wrote:
    Slightly off the topic...but what is the story with Cena? He has been champion now for over two years. This must be the longest title reign ever. Why don't they give someone else the belt?

Cena first won the WWE title at WM21 (April 2005), he lost to edge (when he cashed in his money in the bank) in early 2006 (january i believe) and also lost the title to Rob Van Dam at ECW one night stand in June 2006; so he has not held the title consistently for 2 years. Bruno Sammartino held the title for nearly 8 years so Cena has a long long way to go. The ultimate warrior at WM6 was the first person to cleanly pin Hulk Hogan in 6 years!!!

Speaking of Hulk Hogan; Cena is the new Hogan (or at least Vince will try and portray Cena as the new Hogan). IMO alot of the Cena haters are big Hogan fans who don't want to see Hogan's legacy copied (the guy who got beat down every match but made a miraculous recovery at the end to win).

I have met Cena and he is one of the nicest and most down to earth wrestlers on the WWE roster at present along with Mick Foley (of course i met Cena before he won any of his title in March 2004). The reaction he got in Dublin in June was amazing. I can't remember anything like that since Steve Austin came out during Mayhem in Manchester in April 1998 (the crowd that night were deafening).

Still despite that fact and the fact that he has been involved in some of the best matches this year i still HATE him as champ and hope everytime he steps in the ring he will lose the title; it must mean he is doing something right :confused:

I just hate that damn belt, it looks like a kids toy!
    ... oh wait ;)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I've never really had a problem with Cena, but I'm not much of a raw viewer. Anytime I've seen him in action in Ireland, I've always cheered him on.

Like everyone says, he's been pushed down our throats a bit too much.

But I also think he hasn't had the advantage of a decent heel to play off against. He's generally being given heels built up as monsters, who he then proceeds to beat for two or three ppv's. Either that or we get watered down versions of the mcmahon austin feud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I just hate that damn belt, it looks like a kids toy!
    ... oh wait ;)

VR!

i forgot about that stupid f***ing belt :mad: And he also had one custom made for him when he was US Champ on Smackdown, until JBL blew it up :D

Aw man, i marked out like a little b*tch when Edge ordered Lita to throw it off the boardwark last year! Best thing that happened that year :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Aw man, i marked out like a little b*tch when Edge ordered Lita to throw it off the boardwark last year! Best thing that happened that year :)

VR!

Didn't Edge come out a week later with his own R-Rated spinner belt?

Edit: Yes he did and after seeing it, it's even worse than Cena's!

76058pi.jpg

Double C wrote:
    Didn't Edge come out a week later with his own R-Rated spinner belt?

Edit: Yes he did and after seeing it, it's even worse than Cena's!

76058pi.jpg

Yes it is, but it was a complete pisstake as the whole point of most of that storyline was Edge one-upping Cena every week. Especially the week he showed up at Casa de Cena and bitchslapped the dad. Made for good TV that summer did. :)

VR!

is it wrong that cenas dad sold that slap better than cenas sold anything ever? i hate the custom titles,no wrestler should be bigger than the title he holds,and personalising it just cheapens the belt, thats why i love the big gold one,its been around for nearly 30 years and barely changed appearance,yet everyone wants it (or at least they do until the get injured after they win it :D

From this upcoming Mondays observer:

The early Judgement Day headlined by Cena versus Khali is 245,000 worldwide buys, 157,000 of which were domestic buys. It is the best 'B' show number since Unforgiven last September.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote:
    i hate the custom titles,no wrestler should be bigger than the title he holds,and personalising it just cheapens the belt,

I'm inclined to agree here, especially in the early 90s when Warrior used to customise the colour of the strap in the belts. That yellow strapped IC belt was horrible to look at, and i was glad that it had been brought back to black when Hennig won it on Superstars (funny story there, for some reason when Hennig won the tournament, he was handed a tag belt! I'm guessing they had a struggle getting the original IC belt back from Warrior in time).

But when he won the WWE title in 1990, the belt strap changed colour every three weeks, black, white, purple... I'm pretty sure that was the reason my TV had to be repaired later that year! :P

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I presume you know but Cena asked Vince to turn him heel, but VKM told him to shut up and do what he is told.

Cena gets too much hate in my opinion. I don't like the guy but he is better than so many people, ie. Goldberg, Hogan, Scott Hall , Nash, Big Dave etc.

I don't get the 5 moves of doom crap. Lots of wrestlers use 5 moves, look at Bruno Sammartino, a wrestler who is generally well looked upon.

The fact is that Cena can be carried to a great match, just look at his match vs Umaga at the Rumble and HBK on RAW. This is Cena's great talent.

The reason Cena gets so much hate is simply he has held the title for too long.

Advertisement