Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival Book

Options
  • 18-07-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone recommend me a good survival book? I mean one that has tachniques such as starting fires, obtaining food, building shelter, etc whilst out in the open.

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Esteem

Born Survivor by Bear Grylls is meant to be very good. He also has a series on Discovery channel showing how to survive in different environment - It is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

You obviously don't have the book yourself, no? It looks good though - got good reviews on Amazon. Thanks, I think I'll get it such is my spend-thrift way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Reynolds.irl

Outdoor Survival Handbook
    Bushcraft Survival

SAS Survival Guide

The first two are by Ray Mears who you might have seen on television a lot, great at what he does. Like Esteem said Bear Grylls stuff is great as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I still haven't bought anything yet; Thanks for the new recommendadtions though. Im' not going to buy online but am going to go to Easons whenever I can next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Reynolds.irl

I guess maybe check out Easons then and skim through some survival books and see which appeals to you more, which has diagrams and illustrations to better explain the techniques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

"The WORST-CASE SCENARIO Survival Handbook"
    -Piven & Borgenicht

Not just for the great-outdoors, but it does have a large section on it. They sell it in Easons as well, thats where I got it. 'Twas the book that spawned a television and literature series. Really good book, and quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I bought the SAS survival Handbook (as it was called back then ) about 15 years ago and found it to be brilliant. That said, I found that you already needed practical experience and knowledge of some of the skills to really get the most from the book.

Many of the techniques presented in the SAS book were already published in the Scouts manual "The Scouting Trail" although that book has long since been replaced with newer scouting manuals so I don't know if the survival techniques in the new books are as good.

I also found that my experience in the Civil Defence rescue service gave me advantage when reading about some of the techniques. The book may have improved on explanations of some of the techniques since then.

Overall a very good book and one I'd recommend. I've gone very soft these days and haven't been anywhere that would require such techniques in a long time but back in the day it was very practical and useful.

Advertisement