Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I REALLY hate Roma

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I would never simmer fresh herbs like basil. Completely lose their aromatic qualities with long cooking. Use dried herbs for the cooking. Fresh herbs before serving.

Ditto that sentiment. Dried basil and/or oregano are great for making tomato sauces.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Its actually just sieved tomatoes - not cooked.

I realise that the first google hit says otherwise, but in Italy, what we call tomato purée (concentrate) is called pasatta di pomodora.

Actually both processes are used for making passata. The process you described is good when the passata is to be used as an aperitief. While the cooked tomatoe version is used more often in cooking.

You should adding some smoked streaky bacon. Fry it in the pan before you add your mince. If you like your food hot like me chop a red chili and add it too. Also, as you say, fresh basil before serving, then some good parmesan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Serving of Beef stock.
    How much is one serving of beef stock? How many mls?
    1 packet of vine tomatoes.
    Different packets of vine tomatoes have different weights/amounts of vine tomatoes in them. How many vine tomatoes are we talking?
    1-2 Passata
    Passata is a liquid, so how can you have 1-2 passatas? Do you mean 1-2 jars of passata? If so how many mls are in in each jar?

Oh and can you freeze this recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

While we're on Demonque's line of enquiries, could someone explain how you make the bechamel sauce with cheese?

Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Bechamel sauce

Ingredients
    15fl oz
    parsley stalks
    bay leaf
    blade of mace or a pinch of powdered mace or nutmeg
    whole black peppercorns
    1 slice onion,
    2oz butter
    1oz plain flour

Heat the milk, chuck in the onion, bay, a few black peppercorns, parsley and nutmeg/mace. Leave to infuse.

Heat butter in a saucepan (low heat). Add the flour. Cook gently until the flour is a light biscuit colour. Don't leave this unattended - it will burn easily.

Add 1/3 of the milk and stir to a smooth finish. Gradually add the remainder until you have smooth sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes and taste. It shouldn't taste of flour.

Add cheese of choice. If the sauce gets too thick, thin with a little more milk.

• Advertisement

I should add to Minder's recipe that when making the roux for the bechamel sauce, you should be whisking continuously to prevent burning.

Demonique wrote: »
    Different packets of vine tomatoes have different weights/amounts of vine tomatoes in them. How many vine tomatoes are we talking?

There's no hard and fast numbers. Don't be afraid to play with a recipe to get it right rather than going by the figures.
    Oh and can you freeze this recipe?

Yes

Advertisement